Using Backgrounds; What is the main viewport aspect ratio plus more questions

thrain9thrain9 Posts: 103
edited December 1969 in New Users

I want to create extra backgrounds that will show in renders since they render very quickly, but I have a lot of problems with distortion.
Example: a starry sky background... depending on render settings and the choices I make for aspect ratio, the background stars may, but not always, end up being oval... quite disconcerting.

Questions:
Is there an optimal aspect ratio when creating a new background (using Photoshop, btw)?
Do I need different aspect ratio's for each of the render settings options, or is there a way to adjust the back ground AR "on the fly" to fix distortion inside DS?
Is it possible to "split" a background so it can be rotated 180 degrees to get a half and half type background (example: a dusk half, plus a full night half that I might make of a city skyline?)
Do these problems occur when using sky domes?
If not what are the pro and con of a fixed background vs. sky domes? (and where do I learn how to make sky domes anyway?)

Better stop, that is a bunch of questions.
Thank you all in advance for your help

Comments

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

In the Environment pane in DS4.7, click the options menu (rectangle with horizontal lines in the upper corner) -- there are two options for adjusting your render dimensions to match the backdrop:
    "Adjust Aspect Ratio to Backdrop" will set the render dimensions so that the aspect ratio matches the backdrop, so the backdrop won't be distorted.
    "Adjust Aspect Ratio to Backdrop" will set the render dimensions to match the backdrop, not just the aspect ratio.

The other option is to have the backdrop image applied to an object -- a skydome, skybox, or just a plane. These don't change size with the viewport, so the image won't get distorted. You just need to make sure the object is large enough so that the render area doesn't extend past the edge.

• Steven-VSteven-V Posts: 727
    edited March 2015

Also you need to set the object to have the same aspect ratio as the image. For instance, if you have a 400x600 image, you can make a plane, and then set one of the plane's dimensions to 400% and the other to 600%. Then use the overall scale to scale the whole plane up or down as needed after positioning it.

Also depending on where your light sources are, you will probably want to set the plane not to cast shadows.

Post edited by Steven-V on
  • thrain9thrain9 Posts: 103
    edited December 1969

Thank you both for the answers. I really appreciate your willingness to help new users.