Michael 4 Install.

Blackbirdx61Blackbirdx61 Posts: 300
edited December 1969 in New Users

I've collected ImagineFX for years and just discovered that Issue 85s Disc contains the old style Install files for Michael 4;

I followed the instructions for installation per https://helpdaz.zendesk.com/entries/123843-How-to-install-Michael-4-0-and-M4-Morphs-on-the-PC-in-DAZ-Studio

putting the files in my,

C:\Users\BB\Documents\Daz 3D\Studio\my library\Content

Folder as the instructions are clear that the package must go in the Content Folder. And DAZ simply does not see it,
even when I go through File/Open to the Michael 4.cr2 file I throws an error.

Maybe the Disc is just too old to be usable but if anyone got this to work back around publication I would appreciate any guidance.

Thanks BB.

Comments

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

The instructions are 5 years old, and you should install M4 into C:\Users\BB\Documents\Daz 3D\Studio\my library NOT into a folder called content inside the My Library folder.

Take everything out of Content and move it up one level, then you should see it in Poser Formats.

• Blackbirdx61Blackbirdx61 Posts: 300
    edited December 1969

Thanks Jimmy will try that. BB. : )

edited December 1969

Its not working, even though the .dsb file is sitting right next to the .cr2 file in its folder; it simply does not see the .cr2 file its supposed to support. Per the Error message I'm getting. It seems pretty clear that while the installer is telling me its successfully initializing the figure, its not; is there a link/procedure available for initializing a figure by hand; as I have uninstalled/reinstalled several time now; and the .bat (for want of a better word.) Is just not getting the job done; even though it thinks it is.

Error.jpg
    383 x 160 - 13K
  • fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

Its not working, even though the .dsb file is sitting right next to the .cr2 file in its folder; it simply does not see the .cr2 file its supposed to support. Per the Error message I'm getting. It seems pretty clear that while the installer is telling me its successfully initializing the figure, its not; is there a link/procedure available for initializing a figure by hand; as I have uninstalled/reinstalled several time now; and the .bat (for want of a better word.) Is just not getting the job done; even though it thinks it is.

If you are seeing the .dsb and not the .cr2 then it sounds like your content folders are not set up correctly -- DAZ Studio should show the .cr2 with a scroll symbol in the upper left corner instead of showing the .dsb. What is the full path to the files, e.g. "C:\Users\Public\Documents\My DAZ 3D Library\Runtime\Libraries\Character\DAZ People\Michael 4.cr2"?

edited December 1969

Will try that Mike,
    The I uninstalled and tried; C:\Users\BB\Documents\Daz 3D\Studio\my library\People\Michael 4

Per Jimmy's post; but I will try the path you suggest later today. I've never used a public folder in the two years I've used this program but I remember that path from the install instructions for DAZ 3; and I think this installer is for that version; good chance this should work. Will let you guys know if that solves it. BB.

• jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449
    edited December 1969

In Studio's Content Directory Manager expand the Poser Formats select and note the path listed. Tell the installer to install to that path.

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited December 1969

I remember that path from the install instructions for DAZ 3; and I think this installer is for that version;

There's no such thing as "an installer just for D|S3" — if you run one of the old installers so that it puts things into the proper places, it works in any version of D|S (as long as the content itself works, that is).

One thing you could try is something I used to do before the current installer system was introduced. Run the installer, and point it to a dummy folder on your desktop. Then open explorer windows for your dummy folder, and for your current content location, and move the content files out of the dummy folder and into the matching folders in your live content location.

edited December 1969

That makes some sense, not to different from merging Poser formatted content from a Zip something I do everyday.
    Thanks I will give that a try. BB.

edited March 2015

Afraid that Failed as well,
    And at this point I'm just going to uninstall the spam files and call it a day; I've wasted too many man hours with no result to continue.
    I do find it odd that the only installations that ever cause me problems in DAZ studio, are DAZ products;
    I have 4 Gigs of 3rd party Content and have never had the least problem.

Still I would like to thank each of you who replied for your help and guidance. I sincerely hope you don't feel your time was wasted.
    I did try each of your suggestions, but this is simply not going to work; I have to accept this installer is simply obsolete vs this version of DAZ and move on to something useful. BB.

Post edited by Blackbirdx61 on
  • patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited December 1969

Actually a lot of the older files, which may or not have been updated for 4.x are no longer loading correctly in 3.x. Ran into that mess the other day when I needed to check something for M4 in D/S3. Couldn't find half of the existing !Daz files. The installation of M4 which requires to be "initialized" failed, both times. However it all seems to load fine in 4.x without missing anything.

edited December 1969

Michael 4 works just fine in DAZ Studio 3 if he has been installed right and Studio has the content library he is installed to mapped correctly. I recommend giving the DAZ Generation 4 figures their own library, it makes it easier to fine the initializing batch file if the have to ran manually.

edited December 1969

jestmart said:
    Michael 4 works just fine in DAZ Studio 3 if he has been installed right and Studio has the content library he is installed to mapped correctly. I recommend giving the DAZ Generation 4 figures their own library, it makes it easier to fine the initializing batch file if the have to ran manually.

Contrary to what the join date says I have been around awhile ;-)
    If the installer ran installing stuff to the correct path, and the initializer bat file or whatever it is, fails to initialize, no he don't. I have found that D/S3 is the one that gets the pathways confused and I am not clearing the computer of 'all' Daz products just to try and help it figure out where it put stuff. Moving on.

edited December 1969

The installers install where the user tells them to. Visual proof that Michael 4 works in DS 3, he has a bit of body builder and Hiro 4 morphs to prove the morphs work also.

DS3M4.jpg
    1366 x 768 - 174K
    edited December 1969

What about all the error messages ... mostly about not finding the files for the aged folk. I realize i don't post a billion things to prove everything I say but if the program cannot find a file that D/S4 can find, then the file is there and D/S3 for whatever reason can't find it. I have downloaded some fresh installers for the aged morphs and one day when there's more time may install them and see what happens. In the meantime in response to the OPs question, yes, some of the older install thingies do not work as well they used to, be it because of updated information for the D/S files conflicting with ancient file information and thusly confusing poor D/S3 or be it because the OS with whatever updates it has received, no longer being able to handle things like that initializer. I'm not a coder to figure out why the initializer isn't initializing.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

Is the list of Poser-format content folders identical in DS3 and DS4?

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited March 2015

Another thing to remember...a lot of the older content and its installers come from the free-wheeling XP days, where the hard drive was open range. Some of the default paths are now 'protected' and may have permissions problems, these days.

Post edited by mjc1016 on
    edited December 1969

The initializing batch files are completely independent of Studio. The old exe installers where to initialize after installing, DIM is also suppose to initialize after installing, but never trust a stupid machine to always do what it is suppose to do. Know where the batch files are and run them manually, and don't install content to the Program Files and Program Files (x86) folders on Vista and later OSes.

edited December 1969

Okay, I've had time to triple check ... everything was and is installed to where it's supposed to be. Have no idea* why it would not 'initialize'. The "could not find" messages ... well, the files were all there so I had it browse for and found them yes could get a complete M4 to load in D/S3.

* unless it was that Admin catch of W7. I had not run the installer as Admin.

Thank you all.

I am aware but it is a good reminder to all anyway, not to install content to the program folders. I have seen freeware content providers telling people to put their morphs into the program folders and like, No. Content folders are anywhere but there.