Importing path

dot_batdot_bat Posts: 373
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

Greetings, i am trying to import to carrara a path from illustrator to carrara vertex modeler. its a type character converted to outlines and saved as a illustrator eps. ive tried saving as a illustrator 8 and 3 file format. spline modeler imports fine, but cant get it into vertex modeler. any suggestions? thanx

Comments

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964
    edited December 1969

hi , maybe you need to convert it to a mesh first.

from memory

in assembly room select spline model, then edit > drop down menu you might fine a convert command - choose vertex mesh or whatever the choice is. You might get tris from memory?

all from memory, so could be wrong ;)

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964
    edited December 1969

here you go from manual:

The Vertex Object tool.

To convert a spline or metaball object:

1. Select the object in its native modeler and choose Edit menu> Convert to Another Modeler. The Convert to Another Modeler dialog appears.

2. Choose the Vertex Modeler from the Available Modelers list.

3. Specify the fidelity for the conversion using the Fidelity slider.

The default, 100%, divides the object's surface into the recommended number of polygons. A higher percentage generates more polygons, providing more points of control.

Regardless of the fidelity of the conversion, some data may be lost and the model altered.

1. Click OK.

• dot_batdot_bat Posts: 373
    edited December 1969

thanx headwax but i dont want to convert anything i want to import a path from illustrator into the vertex modeling room it just happens to be a text character converted to path in illustrator. i thought it was possible and think i did it maybe it was carrara 5

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

Does the manual offer any instructions?

I've only heard of the VM being able to display reference images in the isometric views.

• stem_athomestem_athome Posts: 517
    edited December 1969

dot_bat said:
    i am trying to import to carrara a path from illustrator to carrara vertex modeler......

You will need to import it in the "Spline modeler".

edited December 1969

Thanx everyone! I guess i wont be doing that. shouldnt the VM import a simple path? i just wanted a clean facet to extrude but all you get is a triangulated mess. if i was a decent modeler id attempt to model the path. thanx anyway

Screen_Shot_2015-03-05_at_9.02_.32_PM_.png
    382 x 604 - 40K
    edited March 2015

Why not just keep it a spline object?

Edited to add that maybe the reason the VM doesn't use the illustrator file could be because of how the curves are handled? Just a thought.

Post edited by evilproducer on
    edited December 1969

Just looking at your image, but there are only two faces, can't you delete one of the faces and clean up/delete the lines on the remaining face, then extrude that?

• stem_athomestem_athome Posts: 517
    edited March 2015

dot_bat said:
    i just wanted a clean facet to extrude but all you get is a triangulated mess.

In the "Vertex modeler", select all the polygons and use "Model >> Merge co-planer faces"

Post edited by stem_athome on
    edited December 1969

dot_bat said:
    i just wanted a clean facet to extrude but all you get is a triangulated mess.

In the "Vertex modeler", select all the polygons and use "Model >> Merge co-planer faces"

I'll have to remember that. It works great! Worked better than the idea I was going to suggest. I was in the process of getting screen shots, but your method is one simple step.

edited December 1969

thanx everyone and thanx evilproducer, great result.

Screen_Shot_2015-03-05_at_10.21_.43_PM_.png
    396 x 654 - 79K
    edited December 1969

Steve deserves the credit! I didn't know what the Merge Co-planar surfaces command could do. Thanks Steve!

edited December 1969

by all means, thanx steve!