4.7 what happend to the null?

FreyrstrongartFreyrstrongart Posts: 20
edited December 1969 in Technical Help (nuts n bolts)

I used the null object to group things together and it usually worked fine, compared to parenting stuff to other stuff which usually caused one or the other to jump to somehwere unanticipated. But now to my chagrin I find that exactly the same happens when using the null object. I put something which is no longer on the null coordinates into a null object, and the parented object jumps to a different position. Adding a second object which originally was on the same position but with different coordinates (imported from MD) picks a different spot altogether. unparenting ought to get them back on the original spot ... but doesn't. They are now no longer covering each other... only retracing the steps puts them back on the same spot. The null objects is now useless. Any ideas how to amend that?

Comments

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

Don't quote me on this, but it seems to me that the 'new' behavior is what it should have been doing all along...behaving like everything else and now that it is 'fixed' it won't be going back anytime soon

I've found that meshes with properly set up origins tend to 'bounce' around less, especially if everything is being loaded and setup at 0,0,0.

• FreyrstrongartFreyrstrongart Posts: 20
    edited December 1969

Not everything you import has the same origin. Especially if you want to fit it to an already posed figure. So this 'new' proper feature is basically useless, as it means that exactly the stuff that NEEDS being grouped as it cannot be parented properly because it has a different origin cannot be grouped decently. A null that requires all objects to have the same origin is basically useless.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

Make sure "Parent in Place" is checked.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

Everything should have a 'sane' origin to begin with...meaning that it should be either centered in the object or at a corner of its bounding box, with the bounding box corresponding as closely to the dimensions of the object. Then when you move it, 'extra' space isn't being factored in, too. If the object's origin is not closely tied to the actual geometry, that distance is going to act as an offset when attaching it to another object.

And like fixmypcmike said, that's what parent in place is for...it 'ignores' other translations and considers the current location as the origin. (sort of...it's probably a bit more complex than that).

• FreyrstrongartFreyrstrongart Posts: 20
    edited December 1969

Thanks.. checking the box did the trick :p. Not obvious since it seems to have been on automatically in previous versions.