Cleaning up installations

wizaerdwizaerd Posts: 11
edited December 1969 in New Users

So I will admit, much to the chagrin of many here, I'm not the biggest Daz fan out there. In fact, I really kinda dislike it. Specifically because of all the compatibility and dependency stuff with all the products. My Daz Studio installation is a giant mess, with stuff that only works for specific things, other things that are supposed to be universal, etc... I really want to try and get a handle on all of it, and clean out the stuff that either just doesn't work, or is so limited in it's usage that it's just better to get rid of it.

So I'm looking for suggestions. Most of the stuff, if I do anything, will be for export to iClone. I'm thinking the Genesis and Genesis 2 systems should in theory give me enough variety to create a whole slew of unique and interesting characters, with unique and interesting clothing and hair. Is this a correct assumption? What is the best and easiest way to get rid of everything that isn't compatible with either Genesis or Genesis 2 in my Daz installer? How can I enusre that anything I purchase or install from here on out is compatiblew with Genesis and/or Genesis 2 only?

Comments

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

I’m thinking the Genesis and Genesis 2 systems should in theory give me enough variety to create a whole slew of unique and interesting characters, with unique and interesting clothing and hair. Is this a correct assumption?

Yes, there is loads of stuff out there for Genesis and Genesis2. Other people still use Generation 4 (V4, M4) or even Generation 3, but your assumption is largely correct (in my opinion).

What is the best and easiest way to get rid of everything that isn’t compatible with either Genesis or Genesis 2 in my Daz installer?

Not sure what you mean by 'Daz Installer'. If you mean how to get rid of anything that is not compatible with Genesis or Genesis2 out of your Library folder? Any figures prior to Genesis will be in Poser Format, and stored in a folder called Runtime in the main library, either My Library or My DAZ 3D library or whatever name you have given it.

If you are using DIM (DAZ Install Manager), you can easily uninstall previous generation content, but bear in mind, that Autofit can use Gen 4 clothing and hair and even skins on Genesis, as well as Genesis 2 with the correct setup.

How can I enusre that anything I purchase or install from here on out is compatiblew with Genesis and/or Genesis 2 only?

Check the Product Page, all of the necessary information should be there
  • wizaerdwizaerd Posts: 11
    edited December 1969

What is the best and easiest way to get rid of everything that isn’t compatible with either Genesis or Genesis 2 in my Daz installer?

Not sure what you mean by 'Daz Installer'. If you mean how to get rid of anything that is not compatible with Genesis or Genesis2 out of your Library folder? Any figures prior to Genesis will be in Poser Format, and stored in a folder called Runtime in the main library, either My Library or My DAZ 3D library or whatever name you have given it.

DAZ Install Manager is what I meant by the DAZ Installer...

If you are using DIM (DAZ Install Manager), you can easily uninstall previous generation content, but bear in mind, that Autofit can use Gen 4 clothing and hair and even skins on Genesis, as well as Genesis 2 with the correct setup.

I know it's easy to uninstall, using the DIM it's a one-click process, right? But how do I know what items and things in the DIM can be used with Genesis or not? Is there any kind of filter in the DIM?

How can I enusre that anything I purchase or install from here on out is compatiblew with Genesis and/or Genesis 2 only?

Check the Product Page, all of the necessary information should be there

It's been quite some time since I've used Daz for anything, so when I re-installed the DIM, there were over 225 items in the initial tab, products readyt to download. I had no real way of knowing which of those were Genesis and Genesis 2 specific, so tried to pick and choose. Of course, as soon as I got into Daz Studio, there were all kinds of things to pick in there, but when I tried to create a character, whatever I picked didn't appear to be compatible, or didn't show up. Hence my question here.

Thanks for your answers...

• kaotkblisskaotkbliss Posts: 2,914
    edited December 1969

Well, you know all props can be used with any model so you can skip all those for now.
    What you mainly need to worry about is clothing and morphs.

About 99% of the clothing I've come across can be converted to work with genesis and G2, so it's really a matter if you want to do that or not.
    Either way, I think the only real option is to load a G2 figure and start going through your clothing and hair, loading them on the G2 figure. Write down which ones don't work and remove them.

You can narrow down the list by visiting the products page and seeing what it says compatible figures are.

edited December 1969

I know it’s easy to uninstall, using the DIM it’s a one-click process, right? But how do I know what items and things in the DIM can be used with Genesis or not? Is there any kind of filter in the DIM?

There are filters in DIM, but they are mainly for determining the package that uses the content, like Poser or Carrara or Bryce. If you do not use Poser for example, then don't check Poser in Filters. I have only 'DAZ Studio 4.5+' checked and 64 bit things for example.

Each item in the Ready to Download tab, has an exclamation mark icon, clicking on that will take you to the product info for that item, and you can then see what figure it was made for. As kaotkbliss says, most clothing items can be made to fit Genesis or Genesis 2 by using Autofit..

Smart Content will show you, with the Figure selected in the Scene pane, what items are available for it in your library.
  • wizaerdwizaerd Posts: 11
    edited December 1969

Smart Content will show you, with the Figure selected in the Scene pane, what items are available for it in your library.

Is this automatic, or is there some preference I have to set? Because when I tried over the weekend, things I'd pick wouldn't show up on the character, so I was assuming it was incompatible.

edited December 1969

Yes, it is automatic, that is what Smart Content is for. However, it will only show you items that are made for the selected character, i.e. Genesis or Genesis 2 female or Genesis 2 Male, it wont show items that can be Autofitted to the selected figure.