Sequenced images as texture map (or avi compression format)

teknostormteknostorm Posts: 163
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

I was using avi as texture map on a screen, but Carrara randomly accepts the file or crashes. Is there a specific encoding format it accepts?

Then I tried using jpeg image sequences (numbered as video0001.jpg, video0002.jpg etc from Sony Vegas). On selecting the fille Carrara gives me the option of import as image or image file sequence. I choose image file sequence. Then it asks me the fps which I enter as 24. After that it shows the 1st image as the texture, even when I forward the animation, and even in the render.

What's the technique to using image file sequences as texture maps? (There's a little small arrow pointing up under the video but clicking it doesnt do anything.)

Comments

• JoeMamma2000JoeMamma2000 Posts: 2,615
    edited December 1969

I think it requires a specific image naming convention before it will recognize a sequence of images. And sometimes it takes some work to make your output software use that naming convention, if you even can...

I think... :) :)

edited December 1969

I may be wrong on this naming thing....

But here's an image of what it will do for sequenced file naming when Carrara creates a sequenced image set, so it may give you some idea of what it will accept for input of sequenced images for textures....

Sequenced.JPG
    352 x 318 - 27K
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,054
    edited December 1969

I always look in the texture room and move the slider to the end where the last frame should end if no keyframes are present
    first check if there is an end one

• teknostormteknostorm Posts: 163
    edited December 1969

JoeMamma I think the naming is correct as carrara automatically asks me if I would like to import it as image sequence.

Wendy could you please elaborate - which keyframe should be present at the end? My animation is 3 minutes long while the texture map sequence is 1 minute which I've set to tile and seamless (to loop). However I do not have any keyframes on the textured object or shader as it is an immobile screen in my set.

edited December 1969

well looping best done by oscillate tweener
    in which case set the end of your movie slider to last frame, ( first of course to first) click on the tweener in keyframe editor, choose oscillate and set to 3
    the keyframes will be under texture

edited December 1969

Sorry Wendy I'm a little dull today probably because of lack of sleep and deadline!

Is the keyframe necessary for looping or for image sequence to show as video instead of still image?

I also have another image sequence to use where the length is 4 minutes while the carrara animation is 3 minutes. In that case how should I set the keyframe?

edited December 1969

JoeMamma I think the naming is correct as carrara automatically asks me if I would like to import it as image sequence.

You're probably right, but don't discount the possibility that it's just not recognizing the sequence as a legitimate one, based upon an unrecognized file name. I've had instances where I sure the naming is correct, then I find that it won't pull the entire sequence because of some character or something in the filenames.

One way to check is to render a simple image sequence out of Carrara, then turn around and use that sequence in a texture. That will verify that the entire process is working.

edited December 1969

Sorry Wendy I'm a little dull today probably because of lack of sleep and deadline!

Is the keyframe necessary for looping or for image sequence to show as video instead of still image?

I also have another image sequence to use where the length is 4 minutes while the carrara animation is 3 minutes. In that case how should I set the keyframe?

both
    if no keyframe at end of video duration it is just a single image on the texture
    you need to move the scrubber on the diffuse image to the end with the timeline scrubber where you want it to finish to create a keyframe
  • DUDUDUDU Posts: 1,945
    edited December 1969

I was using avi as texture map on a screen, but Carrara randomly accepts the file or crashes. Is there a specific encoding format it accepts?

I never tried images seq. as texture but I know that Carrara don't like compressed .avi, but uncompressed .avi work fine.
    I make a footage in AE with my images seq.

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited March 2015

I've had your issue once or twice for some reason. It even happened in the old Raydream days occasionally. Wendy's solution is the way to go. I think it's a bug.

Basically, if you're in the texture room with your shader open, at frame 0, make sure the scrubber below the image map thumbnail is also at frame 0, then go to the end of Carrara's timeline in the sequencer, and then in the shader move the image sequence's scrubber to the end and a keyframe will appear.

For the four second video in a three second scene, you can still generate keyframes beyond the out point in the timeline. Just advance the play head to four seconds by clicking and dragging on it 'til you get to the four second point.

Post edited by evilproducer on
  • evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

Oh yeah, if you've used the image sequence in any other shader channels, such as glow, then you'll need to set them up the same way.

edited December 1969

Thanks for the replies, I couldn't reply earlier but had followed your instructions and got it working!