Getting transparency with png diffuse color picture

itsikwitsikw Posts: 42
edited December 1969 in Technical Help (nuts n bolts)

I have a png picture with transparent regions, and would like to paste it on a surface so that the transparent regions will appear also transparent in DS.
I know that this is normally done by extracting the picture mask and loading it to the surface opacity strength. Is there a shortcut for achieving this without using explicitly the mask?

Comments

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

No, not really.

The way the surfaces are set up makes it so you need to explicitly map out the transparent areas.

• DraagonStormDraagonStorm Posts: 748
    edited December 1969

itsikw said:
    I have a png picture with transparent regions, and would like to paste it on a surface so that the transparent regions will appear also transparent in DS.
    I know that this is normally done by extracting the picture mask and loading it to the surface opacity strength. Is there a shortcut for achieving this without using explicitly the mask?

Try using Layered Image Editor. You can find that by right mouse click over the diffuse image in Surfaces tab. (or any image in the Surface tab)

• itsikwitsikw Posts: 42
    edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:
    No, not really.

The way the surfaces are set up makes it so you need to explicitly map out the transparent areas.

Yes, I thought so. Would be cool to be able to choose png picture for a surface diffuse color and get the transparency directly from the alpha channel. Maybe somebody out there will write a script for that?
  • mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

itsikw said:
    mjc1016 said:
    No, not really.

Yes, I thought so. Would be cool to be able to choose png picture for a surface diffuse color and get the transparency directly from the alpha channel. Maybe somebody out there will write a script for that?

More like rewrite the default surface sahder...

• itsikwitsikw Posts: 42
    edited December 1969

Yes, I guess so.

• veenveen Posts: 137

i use bitmap2material, my workflow. load your texture you whant to edit in photoshop an make regions transparant. save as png file and load this png in bitmap2material. make sure you select opacity map output in options.

export your map(s) and load the opacity map in cutout opacity map slot and your done

transparent render.jpg
    978 x 881 - 519K
  • veenveen Posts: 137
    edited November 2016

thread closed;)

Post edited by veen on
  • Causam3DCausam3D Posts: 209
    veen said:

i use bitmap2material, my workflow. load your texture you whant to edit in photoshop an make regions transparant. save as png file and load this png in bitmap2material. make sure you select opacity map output in options.

export your map(s) and load the opacity map in cutout opacity map slot and your done

All of that is completely unnecessary.  If you save a png from PS or The Gimp with transparent areas, you simply load THAT into the cutout opacity slot.  This works for me every time.

For those who don't know what it means to 'load that into the opacity slot', you simply go to cutout opacity, and click the down arrow.  Then just browse to and select the image with transparent areas, precisely as you would select an image texture in the "Diffuse" slot.

Here's an additional trick -- make the garment (assuming it's a garment, but whatever it is) double layered in your mesh editor.  Create a separate surface of the inner layer.  Now you have two layers of opacity to mix and match whatever you want.