Switching computers -- any gotchas?

Steven-VSteven-V Posts: 727
edited December 1969 in New Users

As I mentioned in another thread, I ordered a high end gaming laptop (an MSI Dominator) to upgrade from my 4-year old desktop. I am planning to migrate everything over to it and retire the desktop (the thing is a giant beast and I really want to slim down my home office). So, I will be needing to migrate my DAZ stuff from one machine to the other.

I already expect to spend many hours re-DLing DAZ content using DIM after the new install, so I am ready for that. And I have already copied my DAZ3D/Studio library from my documents folder over to the USB hard drive I'm using as the go-between drive for the 2 machines. But is there anything else I need to watch out for when I move computers? I don't need to de-register the old machine before I can use DAZ on the new one do I, the way you used to have to do with Photoshop?

Comments

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,582
    edited December 1969

You don't need to de-register. If you have custom categories, tags, or metadata, make sure you Export User Data. If you're copying over your content folders via USB then you don't need to reinstall everything with DIM -- if the path to your content folder is the same, you can just copy over the ManifestFiles folder from DIM so that it will know you've already installed the products.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,582
    edited December 1969

Also, if you saved the downloaded zips you don't need to re-download, you can just put the zips in the downloads folder on the new machine.

• Steven-VSteven-V Posts: 727
    edited December 1969

Actually I need to clean up the categories. I made a bit of a mess with them the first time through and so I am going to start fresh.

I'll look and see but I don't think I saved the zip files.