DS just got GPU rendering via NVIDIA IRAY, maybe Carrara is next?

3drendero3drendero Posts: 2,024
edited March 2015 in Carrara Discussion

Not sure about the chances of Carrara getting updated with NVIDIA IRAY GPU rendering, but latest DAZ Studio just got GPU rendering, works in CPU mode for those that do not run NVIDIA cards:
http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/53671/

Phil already asked about Carrara getting updated:
http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/50021/P405/#778426

Carrara and DS have very different architecture in terms of being able to fully integrate a Render engine. (For example the Carrara NPR render engine, and Vector Style are both only single threaded because of the difficulty in integrating a Render engine.) Further this deal was just for putting Iray into DS (a free application).

Don’t read into this, there is no commitment either way in this statement. smile

Post edited by 3drendero on

Comments

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,038
    edited December 1969

DAZ only knows and if it did I bet it will not be free.
    I love Octane Render for Carrara, it would have to try hard to impress me as much as that!

• DADA_universeDADA_universe Posts: 336
    edited March 2015

This will either make you mad or glad….or both! GPU rendering in DAZ studio

Post edited by Chohole on
    edited December 1969

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

There is already a thread here:
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/53718/

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Yes, and I am about to merge this thread into that one, so there is just one thread.

edited December 1969

Super awesome how threads supermagically do that merge thing!

edited December 1969

Yes, it was one of the few good things about this forum software :coolgrin:

Oops I didn't really just type that, did I?

edited December 1969

Now we just need Iray for Bryce to make Pam happy!

• That Other PersonaThat Other Persona Posts: 381
    edited March 2015

I assume this requires an Nvidia GPU.

I have two machines, one with a GPU from Nvidia, one with two GPUs from AMD. The latter machine is a workhorse and if the renderer could use its GPUs I would be super happy.

I'm not after realism or amazing shaders but rather work with animation and would love to cut my render times down. The only way to do that now is to add render nodes.

Post edited by That Other Persona on
    edited March 2015

it will just use your CPU instead
    I have a nice nVidia card and for some reason it is ignoring it totally but still a lot faster than 3Delight but then anything is!
    when I use Octane I get a 100% GPU load in GPU-Z is 0% with this

rendering ani, about a minute a frame

iraytest001.png
    1920 x 1080 - 4M
    Iray.gif
    392 x 482 - 12K
    Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
    edited December 1969

OK I found the GPU CPU setting under advanced but it does not seem any quicker just using GPU
    I think I shall be sticking with Octane

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    edited March 2015

i feel so inadequate with my lil on motherboard intel chipset. :lol:

Capture.JPG
    245 x 90 - 13K
    Post edited by Mistara on
    edited December 1969

i feel so inadequate with my lil on motherboard intel chipset. :lol:

Quoted from anothe thread, said by DAZ_Spooky (Also tested on a Computer running an AMD FirePro 5100 and a computer with only the Intel HD chip on the CPU.)"

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,144
    edited December 1969

I've just had a very quick play with the new Iray renderer in DS4.8. Initial impression is that it is better than the 3Delight renderer that DS has had (and continues to have) but that if you already have Octane, it (Octane) is WAY better! So no change for the moment. It will be interesting to see how it develops, and as it is built in, it will doubtless be well supported with new DS light sets etc. As for Carrara getting it - it may happen in the future, but don't hold your breath! Spooky said that they had licenced it for use in DS only at this stage. But anything can happen.

• Rashad CarterRashad Carter Posts: 1,799
    edited December 1969

PhilW said:
    I've just had a very quick play with the new Iray renderer in DS4.8. Initial impression is that it is better than the 3Delight renderer that DS has had (and continues to have) but that if you already have Octane, it (Octane) is WAY better! So no change for the moment. It will be interesting to see how it develops, and as it is built in, it will doubtless be well supported with new DS light sets etc. As for Carrara getting it - it may happen in the future, but don't hold your breath! Spooky said that they had licenced it for use in DS only at this stage. But anything can happen.

Indeed. But I think it also indicates another something interesting. People have often asked for the native Carrara engine to be updated, but unless they are going to update it to the point where it becomes unbiased, then there really isn't any point in putting more things into it. OR to rephrase, unless its unbiased, its simply not going to be competitive by todays (2015"s) standards.

I haven't seen any particular reason why Octane is better than Iray. In fact, they seem like very similar applications. Neither of them have volumetrics yet, but LuxRender as several other unbiased engines already have this. So I am very much interested to see what happens if Iray gets volumetrics before Octane.

Back to the original point. Daz3d would be smart in my opinion to enable Iray in all of its software offerings, pushing all of us to purchase Nvidia cards. The three softwares would finally have a common language they could speak.

So for me, nothing short of an unbiased engine is what I want, either by updating the current one or by plugin in a secondary like Iray. Same for Bryce, either whip TA into unbiased shape or give us an Iray implementation.

• DustRiderDustRider Posts: 2,716
    edited December 1969

I've been playing with Iray quite a bit over the past 2 days. IMHO, without a doubt, the workflow/interactive nature of Octane is MUCH better than the current implementation of Iray in DS. There is no real-time (or near real-time) IPR with Iray, even with an ultra high end GPU. It takes significantly longer to "export" the data to Iray than compared to Octane (with either the Carrara of DS plugins). So the workflow with Iray is almost identical to 3Delight - except it takes longer to send the data to Iray. The IPR in DS/3Delight is truly an IPR, not so much with Iray.

Octane is also faster than Iray - especially for animations. Now I'm not knocking Iray, it's uber cool to have it available .... especially to have it available for free!! But it really doesn't compare to Octane in the speed/workflow category. The IPR for LuxusCore for Carrara is also MUCH faster than Iray in DS!!

The quality of the renders from Iray are definitely comparable to Octane, but the use of system resources is much greater with Iray. On my system, Iray consumes 1/4 of my CPU while rendering in GPU only mode. With Octane, even when using out of core textures, the CPU use is minimal/negligible. The computer also gets quite sluggish while rendering with Iray, where with Octane I just set the GPU priority to low, and I don't even notice a performance hit at all.

Below are some Iray test renders. The SiFi scene took about 2 hours to render, and the one with the wagon wheel took about 18 min., and the Stanford Dragon took about 2 hours (twice as long as Octane, but it is a great SSS render). The one thing that really stands out when trying to work with Iray is how spoiled I've become from using Octane (and to some extent LuxusCore). The interactive nature of Octane when setting up a scene, setting up lighting, editing shaders, and changing Iamager settings on the fly is soooo sweeeet, it's painful going back to the old way of working :-S

Stanford_Dragon_Cap.JPG
    1000 x 797 - 113K
    hotmess_test_sig.jpg
    1600 x 1600 - 606K
    SiFi_test_Iray2sig.jpg
    1167 x 1400 - 231K
  • MarkIsSleepyMarkIsSleepy Posts: 1,496
    edited March 2015

Never mind. Original post made on no sleep when brain not engaged and didn't contribute anything to discussion. :)

Post edited by MarkIsSleepy on
  • evilkooladeevilkoolade Posts: 114
    edited December 1969

I do VFX with syntheyes and carrara i would kill to have Iray for carrara I posted to facebook just the day before yesterday that i wish someone would make a V-ray plugin for carrara this would be better. provided it has a shadow catch option still

• scottidog2scottidog2 Posts: 319
    edited December 1969

evilkoolade, can you tell me about your workflow of using syntheyes with Carrara.

• evilkooladeevilkoolade Posts: 114
    edited December 1969

evilkoolade, can you tell me about your workflow of using syntheyes with Carrara.

syntheyes has a carrara exporter but it is always a small scene if you want to use it with poser figures your camera ends up too small
    but if you select both your camera and your trackers then group them twice (yes group them then group them again) you can then manipulate the camera without messing up your animation so you can scale the camera group up to the scene and position it where you need it.

i hope this helps i'm going to be posting a video tutorial on this after i finish a contest i'm working on

• scottidog2scottidog2 Posts: 319
    edited December 1969

evilkoolade Thank you for the heads up and Good Luck with the competition.

edited March 2015

Yes I too am Octane realtime update spoilt
    Iray does not seem too impressed with my GTX 760 either rendering the same speed as CPU only
    tried all combinations
    and it uses a lot of RAM 12GB of my 16
    it definately leaves 3Delight for dead though.
    Carrara Octane with the out of core textures works nicely for me, DAZ I only have 1.2 and no real desire to spend extra ugrading so texture sizes can be a big issue there.
    If I stay within texture limits though DAZ Octane is fast and easy for animation by limiting samples, Iray does not come close.
    Carrara Octane is not buggy like the DAZ one and my prefered option but then so is Carrara, I only use DAZ when forced to as some things DAZ studio format simply do not work in Carrara.
    Smoothing modifier and HD morphs being main two plus some rigging.
    Lack of displacement in my 1.2 version not much of an issue as I dislike displacement for many reasons esp on figures I need to clothe or floors they need to walk on.
    Real subdivided geometry my prefered option there which HD brings to the table, it is a pity it is PA only technology.
    If we plebs had acces to it I could possibly convert to real geometry for Carrara like I do displacement.

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964
    edited December 1969

Hi Wendy we need you to write a big book on the current state of everything! I have been left behind as I don't have enough time to play/learn new stuff. The stuff I have is already overwhelming ;)