GPU Acceleration and DAZ 4.8 Pro Problem

Richard John SRichard John S Posts: 389
edited March 2015 in Daz Studio Discussion

Hey guys, I just want to say that I love the new Iray, it does wonders to the renders. However, I am experiencing two problems. one, if I only enable GPU and turn of CPU for rendering all I get is a black render which renders in less then two seconds. I have updated my driver and it still gives me the same results. Two, if I enable both GPU and CPU for rendering the render time is actually longer than with just using CPU by itself. I rendered the same image testing both settings out and CPU only was about 4-5 minutes faster than having both GPU and CPU enabled. I am using the EVGA 8800gt 512mb as my GPU. Anyone else experiencing this?

EDIT:
Full specs include:
- Intel 1-5 3330 3GHz
- 8GB Memory
- Windows 7 64 bit
- EVGA 8800GT 512mb

Post edited by Richard John S on

Comments

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,715
    edited December 1969

Without knowing anything about your specifics, I can say that older cards can provide poorer performance than a powerful cpu; you don't post your specs, which those with more knowledge might find helpful. Your post won't help anyone determine if any problems or bugs; having said that, your graphics card quite likely doesn't have enough memory - again that is hard to know for sure as no details.

• Richard John SRichard John S Posts: 389
    edited December 1969

Full specs include:

- Intel 1-5 3330 3GHz
    - 8GB Memory
    - Windows 7 64 bit
    - EVGA 8800GT 512mb

• Twilight76Twilight76 Posts: 318
    edited December 1969

I think your Graphic Card has not enough Memory for the Scene.

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

Jennyver said:
    I think your Graphic Card has not enough Memory for the Scene.

I think so too. It only has 512 MB, and I have seen 4 GB mentioned in some threads to make sure the entire scene can be loaded. Try with a simple scene, one figure or just a primitive, and see if it works. If the Graphics card does not have room for the entire scene, it is not used at all according to the main thread.
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

it seems with the lesser spec cards, or non Nvidia cards you can only do CPU renders.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

Yes, both of those symptoms are what happen if your video memory is not enough to hold the entire scene.

The slowdown with both enabled comes from the large amount of swapping done.

You could possibly render a couple of primitives and a sun/sky light with that card in GPU mode., but not much more.

• CypherFOXCypherFOX Posts: 3,401
    edited December 1969

Greetings,
    I have exactly that card, and no, it's just not enough. I believe that the 512MB of VRAM has to handle your _screen_ as well as the render operation, especially with modern OSes. That means it's pretty much kaput before you begin. I picked up a 4GB card just for this, should be delivered today. $120 out of Amazon.

-- Morgan

• LocusSolusLocusSolus Posts: 59
    edited December 1969

The 8800GT is a neanderthalien GPU, and is flagged by Nvidia themselves as NOT CUDA compatible.

edited December 1969

Thanks a lot guys. I really appreciate the feedback. I guess I am going to have to pick up something better because I am loving the quality of Iray, but CPU only is too slow, yet still seems a bit faster than using Reality/Luxrender. I just got another question. Do you think the Nividia GT620 which has 1GB of memory would work better than the 8800GT 512MB. It has more memory but the processing is slower. GT620 came with my new computer I bought a couple years back, but I threw the 8800GT back in because it had faster processing despite the lower memory.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

The 8800GT is a neanderthalien GPU, and is flagged by Nvidia themselves as NOT CUDA compatible.

It's sorta-maybe...it's one of the first cards to have CUDA, I think it's got 32 cores, but it's NOT up to anything recent. Plus, I think it's been dropped from the drivers as a CUDA card. On that system CPU is the best you'll do.

edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:
    It's sorta-maybe...it's one of the first cards to have CUDA, I think it's got 32 cores, but it's NOT up to anything recent. Plus, I think it's been dropped from the drivers as a CUDA card. On that system CPU is the best you'll do.

I agree (and apologise). In fact, I'm looking for a new GPU as well. Some french geeks look telling that GPU memory over 1gig are acceptable, and mainly number of CUDA cores matters for performances.

So 2 cheap cards with 1000 cores each may do the job at the same level as 1 expensive card with 2000 Cuda cores. I'm looking in that direction, being now aware that SLI link for coupled Nvidia cards must NOT be installed for that use because it slowers render times.

Well, let's live dangerously ! :)

edited March 2015

Just a quick update. took out the 8800GT 512MB and put in my GT620 1GB. Indeed the 8800GT was doing absolutely nothing. Once I put in the GT620 it worked, and there is quite a bit of a performance difference. When I rendered the image with CPU only it took 17 minutes to complete. When enabling the GT620 with the CPU the same image took 11 minutes, so it did shave off a good 6 minutes of rendering time. I was kind of hoping for a 2 minute render, LOL!!!! The bottom line is I may need to get a better card.

Post edited by Richard John S on
    edited March 2015

Finally, people here tell that GPU-memory matters for big scenes, and for rendering rendering crowdy places.

Just reading the Daz forum on page 4 where our trailblazing Spooky member leads to the Nvidia 740 with 4gigs, that you could get for $100 each.

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/53671/P45

Edit: a quick glance on french market shows (all cards with 4G memory)

- Geforce 740 384 cores €130 400watts (!)
    - Geforce 760 1152 cores €285 500watts
    - Geforce 770 1562 cores €330 600watts

Care to our computer electric power, all these cards are crocodiles !

And no, I din't get any coin by Nvidia for posting these info ... :-S

Post edited by LocusSolus on
  • DAZ_SpookyDAZ_Spooky Posts: 3,100
    edited December 1969

Finally, people here tell that GPU-memory matters for big scenes, and for rendering rendering crowdy places.

Just reading the Daz forum on page 4 where our trailblazing Spooky member leads to the Nvidia 740 with 4gigs, that you could get for $100 each.

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/53671/P45

Edit: a quick glance on french market shows (all cards with 4G memory)

- Geforce 740 384 cores €130 400watts (!)
    - Geforce 760 1152 cores €285 500watts
    - Geforce 770 1562 cores €330 600watts

Care to our computer electric power, all these cards are crocodiles !

And no, I din't get any coin by Nvidia for posting these info ... :-S

At those prices look at the GTX 970 and for a bit more the GTX 980. They use less power, and produce less heat. (They are also the latest versions.)