New Laptop Install question

Steven-VSteven-V Posts: 727
edited December 1969 in New Users

Hey folks,

I just got myself a nice new MSI Dominator laptop, and after messing all day yesterday trying to get Windows 8.1 set up in a way that doesn't make me want to pull out what is left of my hair, I am finally ready to gt DAZ installed. I'm ready to install DIM.

Now, my laptop came with a small SSD, which I really only want to use for the OS and a few other critical applications, and a huge HDD, which I want to use for DAZ. On my old computer, I had DAZ and DIM installed on the SSD, and then I had the library installed in the HDD.

My question is: Does DIM really *need* to be installed on the primary OS drive, or can I put it on the secondary drive? I know some software even to this day still messes up if you put it on the secondary drive. There is room, but my instinct is to put everything onto D: not C: unless there is a *really* good reason.

I will probably install DAZ Studio itself on C: for speed, but DIM doesn't really need speed, since it is just DLing and DL is slower than HD read/write speed by a huge factor.

Thoughts?

Comments

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,629
    edited December 1969

You need to install DIM on your main SSD. You can save all your file from DIM on an external or separate HD. Just set your locations in DIM. You can install DS to a separate HD as well. You will need to add the location of your libraries in DS as well.

• Steven-VSteven-V Posts: 727
    edited December 1969

OK, thanks. That is kind of what I thought, but I wanted to make sure.

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,629
    edited December 1969

If you are going to install DS from DIM you will just need to set you programs download location to your secondary HD otherwise install it manually. Benefit with installing with DIM is you will always get the updates and the beta's without having to go to your product library and manually download the installer.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,992
    edited December 1969

You can set the location for downloads, and the locations to which to install, within DIM but the manifest and thumbnail files go to their default locations unless you edit

C:\Users\Richard\AppData\Roaming\DAZ 3D\InstallManager\UserAccounts\Account.ini

and set the values for

OverrideManifestDir=
    OverrideThumbnailDir=

remembering to use / and not \ for the paths.

• Steven-VSteven-V Posts: 727
    edited December 1969

Ah, OK. That explains why when I had Windows clean out the Roaming directory on my desktop I started getting complaints from DAZ. Somehow Win must have deleted some of those.