4.8 cpu Versus GPU test results.

nickalamannickalaman Posts: 196
edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

First of all I just wanted to say, thanks to the great people at Daz. This has renewed my interest in 3D as a hobby.

so my results,

I'm very fortunate I had invested in 2 nvidia 780 video cards for my video work, so this was an unexpected surprise

I created a simple scene with v6 some hair and clothing and rendered for one minute. The point being i wanted top measure how many lray iterations could be completed in one minute.

the results are as follows:

CPU only i7-47700K @ 3.5Ghz was able to get 20 lray iterations.

GTX 780 i was able to get 150 lray iterations (2304 CUDA CORES)

2 GTX780 i was able to get 300 lray iterations. (4608 CUDA cores in total)

2 GTX780 + CPU 295.

So basicly if you do the math the GTX780 is about 7.5 times faster than 1 I7-4770k

and if you can afford to GTX780 (they scale wonderfully you are looking at a speed increase of 15 times.... over regular CPU rendering.

so your typical 10 minute render CPU only should take about 40 seconds if you invest my setup.

When buying a new video card remember it's all about the number of CUDA cores you can afford. Memory of is iportant but cuda defines the speed.

Some of the lower end nvidia cards only have a few hundred cuda cores. So they will not really be that much better than CPU only rendering and in some cases might actually be worse.

for example the I7 4770K is equivalent to about 300 cuda cores based on my calculations. And if you went out and bought yourself a new GTX750 for about $100 you'd only be getting about 500 cuda cores. which is just a little bit faster than CPU only,

Nick

Comments

• StratDragonStratDragon Posts: 3,167
    edited December 1969

the bus speed to the mobo is going to play a part to. A PCIe 3.0 mobo is going to have twice the bandwidth of a PCIe 2.0 mobo, and four times PCIe1. If your computer is 4 years or older the card upgrade may not see that type of increase, but if it's newer you will. Also if you replace the cards you may need to replace your PSU to supply the power demand of a bigger card or two cards if your board supports it.