New user Q's Expresson & Legs

edited December 1969 in New Users

New user here 4.7.0.12.

I see how to pose the figure, but how to I change expressions? ie mouth eyes. etc
For example under Shaping/Mouth all i see is jaw sliders and they do not even seem to do anything. I am relaly more interested in expressions though.

Also I can change Leg length?

Thanks

Comments

• jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449
    edited December 1969

For expressions you need to be in either the Parameters or Posing tab. Select the head node of the figure and expand the Pose Controls and then Head to find the expression morphs. Leg length morph is part of the appropriate body morph package for the figure.

• Groovy101Groovy101 Posts: 2
    edited December 1969

jestmart said:
    For expressions you need to be in either the Parameters or Posing tab. Select the head node of the figure and expand the Pose Controls and then Head to find the expression morphs. Leg length morph is part of the appropriate body morph package for the figure.

Hi,

I'm struggling with understanding this as well. I seem to be able to add a character and move his jaw around, along with 5(!) settings for his tongue but there are no settings at all for his lips or getting his mouth to move in response, so seems a bit useless.

However, running through the Asylum tutorial I seem to be able to adjust all manner of features on the actor, opening his mouth, changing his fear and confusion levels, etc!

I'm guessing that certain actors / figures don't have moveable features and others do? I'm finding it really complicated and I'm guessing I need to get hold of (buy?) figures with more moveable parts than the baseline figures that come with the original free download. Not a problem, but I'd like to know whether I'm causing myself more problems by not having them.

I do have Poser 10 where I'm able to adjust features but I've tried importing them into Daz and they seem to turn into immovable statues.

I'm sure it will all come together when I hit the top of the learning curve but its a bit of a struggle down here at the bottom. :)

Many thanks.

• OstadanOstadan Posts: 1,123
    edited December 1969

There are two different things going on that can change the shape (as opposed to the surface) of a character. One is posing. Figures like Genesis are built with "rigging", which means that there are built-in points of articulation that can be bent to pose the figure; this includes the jaws, for example. But figures can also have their shapes changed by 'morphs'. Some of these are found in the 'Shaping' tab (or on the 'Properties' tab subselecting the Actor). So, Genesis 2 Male can have a 'bodybuilder' shaping applied to a controllable amount.

Things like facial expressions, and partial expressions such as moving the lips into a smile or to look like speech, are also morphs (i.e., they distort the mesh, but are not rotating or scaling one of the defined points of articulation), but rather than being associated with the whole figure, they specifically apply to the head; and so the figure's head, rather than the entire figure, must be selected. Under the 'Properties' tab, you will find 'Pose Control', which contains expressions.

This explanation is a bit superficial and probably slightly wrong from an expert point of view, but hopefully it will give you a push in the right direction for dealing with the gazillion knobs that Studio provides nowadays.