How do you improve hair quality on your Genesis Characters? Need advice

wintoonswintoons Posts: 371
edited December 2021 in Unreal Discussion

Hi, 

I wanted to know, I've been trying out different hairs from Daz3d and importing it via Bridge, and the results are somewhat ok, but wanting to know is there a better to improve the quality and look of the hair on your Genesis 8 characters so it looks richer or even more realistic? I'm still fairly new to Unreal and I am really loving it as to what you can do with it and so forth. Like perhaps tutorials or just a few pointers or even experiences would be great. 

Oh, to let you know, I'm still using Version 4.26.2 if that's any help/ 

Post edited by wintoons on

Comments

• EllessarrEllessarr Posts: 1,390

wintoons said:

Hi, 

I wanted to know, I've been trying out different hairs from Daz3d and importing it via Bridge, and the results are somewhat ok, but wanting to know is there a better to improve the quality and look of the hair on your Genesis 8 characters so it looks richer or even more realistic? I'm still fairly new to Unreal and I am really loving it as to what you can do with it and so forth. Like perhaps tutorials or just a few pointers or even experiences would be great. 

well i would say which being honest the big isse with daz hairs is really they where made to work on daz in general, this means they shader only gonna work perfect inside daz, outside daz you really need to tweak it a lot to make it work, you really need to learn about hairs shaders specially inside unreal and being honest if you really want a really good hair would be better find someone to make hairs for you, because again daz hairs are made in way which a lot of "texture maps" used for hairs are missing making hard to achieve the "perfect result

for exemple you have this program to create hairs and based on then you can see what are the maps which would be supposed to be using:

https://cgpal.com/fibershop/

then for daz hairs you really have to make your own tests to get some results, it's really not a easy magic solution.

• wintoonswintoons Posts: 371

Ellessarr said:

wintoons said:

Hi, 

well i would say which being honest the big isse with daz hairs is really they where made to work on daz in general, this means they shader only gonna work perfect inside daz, outside daz you really need to tweak it a lot to make it work, you really need to learn about hairs shaders specially inside unreal and being honest if you really want a really good hair would be better find someone to make hairs for you, because again daz hairs are made in way which a lot of "texture maps" used for hairs are missing making hard to achieve the "perfect result

for exemple you have this program to create hairs and based on then you can see what are the maps which would be supposed to be using:

then for daz hairs you really have to make your own tests to get some results, it's really not a easy magic solution.

Yeah, I had this feeling that would need to do something like this. Still, thanks for telling me and for telling me about Fibershop. Something I will look into, although I'm hopeless knowing this stuff lol. I've also been looking into hair assets on the Marketplace and wondering if it's possible to add Unreal hair onto a Genesis character? It says that it requires GenX plugin. Curious if anyone has tried it. 

https://www.unrealengine.com/marketplace/en-US/product/hairstyles-pack-female ;

wintoons said:

Ellessarr said:

wintoons said:

Hi, 

Yeah, I had this feeling that would need to do something like this. Still, thanks for telling me and for telling me about Fibershop. Something I will look into, although I'm hopeless knowing this stuff lol. I've also been looking into hair assets on the Marketplace and wondering if it's possible to add Unreal hair onto a Genesis character? It says that it requires GenX plugin. Curious if anyone has tried it. 

asfar i know you can use the groom hairs from unreal market on daz characters you just need to adjust the hair "size" to match the character when adding it to the character, the only issue is which you need to pay attention to what you want to do, if it's for rendering or animation then probably you are ok going with any hair however if you want to make "games" then you must pay attention to only go for hairs proper optmized for game otherwise some of those groom hairs can be bad as daz hairs, not because of low quality but the other side they will be the same issue as "strand based" being too high poly and demanding process/video, not all the hairs on  the market are proper optmized or have lods to work then just pay attention to that and you can use then fine, you just need to adjust the hair to the character. 

Ellessarr said:

wintoons said:

Ellessarr said:

wintoons said:

Hi, 

asfar i know you can use the groom hairs from unreal market on daz characters you just need to adjust the hair "size" to match the character when adding it to the character, the only issue is which you need to pay attention to what you want to do, if it's for rendering or animation then probably you are ok going with any hair however if you want to make "games" then you must pay attention to only go for hairs proper optmized for game otherwise some of those groom hairs can be bad as daz hairs, not because of low quality but the other side they will be the same issue as "strand based" being too high poly and demanding process/video, not all the hairs on  the market are proper optmized or have lods to work then just pay attention to that and you can use then fine, you just need to adjust the hair to the character. 

Fair enough. Yeah it's not for gaming, It's acutally for my animated web series (a crime series). I use to animate using Daz Studio, but it takes so damn long to render video and also my scenes can be very complex LOL 
    That's why I'm using Unreal and the performance is sooooo much better. My issue is just the hair. So I'm seeing what is the right direction for hair design and quality. 

Just wanted to know, to enhance hair shader quality, will Adobe Substance 3d painter help? 
    I read there is a plugin for Unreal. 

wintoons said:

Just wanted to know, to enhance hair shader quality, will Adobe Substance 3d painter help? 
    I read there is a plugin for Unreal. 

yeah i do use substance painter to improve the textures of daz characters to work with unreal, the pluging is to import substance materials direct from substance design or substance share to use direct into unreal without need to create a material and apply textures, it allow you to throw direct the  materials to work, but you need to have some knowledge to work with it.