"Comic toon style" character renders

Dear all,

I have a quetions regarding the attached render which I found via google search. This render has more lets say "comic / toon style than others. Also the color saturation seems pretty much high. Does someone know how to achieve this kind of style? Are there settings to switch on or something like that? Maybe this have someting to do with the character models? I ve tried to find out by myself but without success.

It would be great if someone can help or give me some tips.

Thanks in advance

7.png
800 x 400 - 595K

Comments

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,926

The renderer of that image didn't do anything speacial but use an HDR image (which often have purposely over saturated colors) for the set location and then put standard DAZ characters in it. Those characters look like cartoon caricatures because they are placed in a real world photo HDR but they are actually standard DAZ models that most people that buy them strive to make realistic looking. They look realistic there until one clicks on your attatched image to enlarge it and see that they are actually DAZ modeled characters

• HylasHylas Posts: 4,767

I'd say that's just your average "realistic" DAZ models, plopped into a scene and not much else.

Even though most DAZ characters strive for photorealism one actually has to work real hard and have a lot of talent to achieve anything close to actual photorealism.
    If you just render your characters without caring much about lighting, posing, post-work, etc the results will look like your attached render - somewhat unreal despite the "realistic" characters in it.

Anyway, you can always dial in a little bit of a toon morph to get a more toon look. Aiko 8, The Girl 8, Toon Hero by Joe Quick, Hal by J.Cade, and the characters of 3D Universe and Thorne are all good options. But I don't think that's what's happening in your attached render.

You can increase your saturation in Tone Mapping - there's a slider called literally Saturation. It's also very easy to adjust after the fact in something like GIMP.

• csaacsaa Posts: 812
    edited December 2021

@TheresaGutmann,

Photorealism is the coin of the realm. There's no deficit in the amazing work you'll see posted on the Daz forum and the galleries. But if you are interested in toon rendering, there are a few who try to use Daz for non-photorealistic rendering. Some of the Daz products they employ are VIsual Style Shaders, SketchyLineRenderer9000, and PWToon just to mention a few. Yet other use post-editing techniques with Photoshop or GIMP. Interested to see more? On the forum, you'll want to look into the More Non-Photorealistic Rendering threads part 1, part 2 and part 3. Edit: I forgot to add, check out the 3D Comic Book Tips and Pictures as well as the Welcome to Anime Manga Cafe threads.

Hope that helps.

Cheers!

TheresaGutmann said:

Dear all,

I have a quetions regarding the attached render which I found via google search. This render has more lets say "comic / toon style than others. Also the color saturation seems pretty much high. Does someone know how to achieve this kind of style? Are there settings to switch on or something like that? Maybe this have someting to do with the character models? I ve tried to find out by myself but without success.

It would be great if someone can help or give me some tips.

Thanks in advance

Post edited by csaa on