What is the best software for making comics

HylasHylas Posts: 4,772

So, I'm toying with the idea of making short comics with my renders.

What's the best software for that?

Things I'm looking for:

- The software should have layout templates that can be further adjusted. I want to be able to add/substract/resize/rearrange the panels and then just plop my renders in there.

- I don't need any drawing tools since I'm generating all my artwork with DAZ Studio, and I have GIMP and PS for postwork.

- The software should be able to add speech balloons and such, and text.

- Free would be great, or a reasonable one-time price. I'm not interested in expensive tools for professionals, or subscriptions.

- The software should be able to export the final result in a simple image format like PNG or JPG.

- Windows or Mac... preferrably Windows.

Thx!

Comments

• These are several tools which maybe suit your need . Personally the one I`ve ever used was Plasq Comic Life 3 . 

Comic Life 3

Comic Creator Studio

Pixtoon Comic Builder

Comi Po

Free Comic Maker

Iywi

Makebelieve

• csaacsaa Posts: 812
    edited December 2021

@juvesatriani,

Long time no see, no hear! Hope you're doing well. Just saw your post at the NPR III thread. Great to have you back.

To that list I might add Clip Studio Paint.

Cheers!

juvesatriani said:

These are several tools which maybe suit your need . Personally the one I`ve ever used was Plasq Comic Life 3 . 

Comic Life 3

Comic Creator Studio

Pixtoon Comic Builder

Comi Po

Free Comic Maker

Iywi

Makebelieve

Post edited by csaa on
  • csaa said:

@juvesatriani,

Long time no see, no hear! Hope you're doing well. Just saw your post at the NPR III thread. Great to have you back.

To that list I might add Clip Studio Paint.

Cheers!

Thanks !! See u in NPR thread :)

• HylasHylas Posts: 4,772

juvesatriani said:

These are several tools which maybe suit your need . Personally the one I`ve ever used was Plasq Comic Life 3 . 

Comic Life 3

Of the ones I found via Google search Comic Life 3 is the one that looks the most appealing. It's a price I'm happy to pay, too. You would recommend it, then?

• 3WC3WC Posts: 1,095

+1 Clip Studio Paint.

Think I got mine for $50 one time, it is well worth it, even if you are just making panels, borders, and speech balloons and text.

• Hylas said:

juvesatriani said:

Comic Life 3

Of the ones I found via Google search Comic Life 3 is the one that looks the most appealing. It's a price I'm happy to pay, too. You would recommend it, then?

I dont use it anymore right now . Last time I`ve used it as storyboard and dialog tool . Something I like about CL 3 was easy and editable bubble features .

Sometimes it easy for me layouting dialog first before doing any graphics . From there I can see if that scene really need busy graphics or simple ones . 

The CL3  con I think about speed or lag when creating complex layout . But I`ll suggesting you to try the demo version  first and also check another tools 

• vrba79vrba79 Posts: 1,297

I just cut out the middle man by doing all of the gruntwork in Photoshop.

edited December 2021

Doing panels and speech balloons in Photoshop?
    No thank you. I mean, I could do it in a pinch... but I'm looking for something a lot more convenient than that.

I'm planning on first checking out the free options Free Comic Maker, Canva, and Photo Collage Creator. But my first impression of those is that they're not all that. I guess they're free for a reason.

Comic Life 3 and Clip Studio Paint both cost about the same and both have free trial versions, so I guess it'll end up being one of those.

I'll report back but looking at my schedule the next few weeks, it'll probably take me a while.

Post edited by Hylas on
  • Various comic creation software tools were also discussed in this thread:   https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/228061/3d-comic-book-tips-and-pictures/p1

• TorquinoxTorquinox Posts: 2,558

While one could do layouts in a wide variety of inexpensive page design and layout programs, I have to admit CL3 looks enticing. There is something to be said for purpose-built applications.

edited December 2021

First impressions of CL3 and CSP.

I've spent maybe 15min with each application, so these are very early impressions.

CL3 might be exactly what I'm looking for. It seems pretty intuitive.
    Some details I haven't quite figured out yet but that's to be expected after such a short amount of time.

CSP looks like primarily a drawing program, which is not what I'm looking for.
    It looks like it's also capable of doing what I want, but I have to go look for these functions. I've only kinda-sorta found some of them so far.

Post edited by Hylas on