Daz To Unreal Bridge UE5 - Issue with certain 8.1 characters

stefanbarlowstefanbarlow Posts: 4
edited December 2021 in Unreal Discussion

Thanks for this tool!  I've got the latest stable release from github and so far I'm 2 out of 5 characters imported.  It worked perfectly for my first transfer otherwise I wouldn't have made it to 5 over the last few hours.  

Sabeh HD 8.1 is perfect other than a small seam around the hair line if no hair is attached.

Saber HD 8.1 worked as well first try.

The worst of the group was poor Eva Valentina HD 8.1, she had extra bones.  I had already rigged Sabeh without issue and set her as the player character as well as used her model for an NPC just to continue learning Unreal.  When Eva showed up she mangled the base 8 skeleton and they all looked like monsters so I had to delete her and copy the base skeleton back to the plugin directory.

Rain HD and Marion HD 8.1 won't import at all, they fail with the below error.

Mind you these were all clean brand new scene files with only the character, hair, and clothing.  I didn't even touch the pose.

No smoothing group information was found in this FBX scene.  Please make sure to enable the 'Export Smoothing Groups' option in the FBX Exporter plug-in before exporting the file.  Even for tools that don't support smoothing groups, the FBX Exporter will generate appropriate smoothing data at export-time so that correct vertex normals can be inferred while importing. 

The following bones are missing from the bind pose:
ik_foot_root  
ik_foot_l  
ik_foot_r  
ik_hand_root  
ik_hand_gun  
ik_hand_r  
ik_hand_l  

This can happen for bones that are not vert weighted. If they are not in the correct orientation after importing,
please set the "Use T0 as ref pose" option or add them to the bind pose and reimport the skeletal mesh. 

There is no geometry information in mesh 

Get Import Data has failed. 

Import failed. 

Post edited by stefanbarlow on

Comments

• EllessarrEllessarr Posts: 1,390
    edited December 2021

stefanbarlow said:

Thanks for this tool!  I've got the latest stable release from github and so far I'm 2 out of 5 characters imported.  It worked perfectly for my first transfer otherwise I wouldn't have made it to 5 over the last few hours.  

Sabeh HD 8.1 is perfect other than a small seam around the hair line if no hair is attached.

Saber HD 8.1 worked as well first try.

The worst of the group was poor Eva Valentina HD 8.1, she had extra bones.  I had already rigged Sabeh without issue and set her as the player character as well as used her model for an NPC just to continue learning Unreal.  When Eva showed up she mangled the base 8 skeleton and they all looked like monsters so I had to delete her and copy the base skeleton back to the plugin directory.

Rain HD and Marion HD 8.1 won't import at all, they fail with the below error.

Mind you these were all clean brand new scene files with only the character, hair, and clothing.  I didn't even touch the pose.

No smoothing group information was found in this FBX scene.  Please make sure to enable the 'Export Smoothing Groups' option in the FBX Exporter plug-in before exporting the file.  Even for tools that don't support smoothing groups, the FBX Exporter will generate appropriate smoothing data at export-time so that correct vertex normals can be inferred while importing. 

The following bones are missing from the bind pose:
    ik_foot_root  
    ik_foot_l  
    ik_foot_r  
    ik_hand_root  
    ik_hand_gun  
    ik_hand_r  
    ik_hand_l  

This can happen for bones that are not vert weighted. If they are not in the correct orientation after importing,
    please set the "Use T0 as ref pose" option or add them to the bind pose and reimport the skeletal mesh. 

There is no geometry information in mesh 

Get Import Data has failed. 

Import failed. 

you are importing "only the naked model?, or it have stuffs, like outftis, hair and those stuffs??

if it's the case you must pay attention to some "limitations" and bugs, like outfits with "attached" stuffs like buttoms no gonna export, because they are not rigged to the character you must remove it or make some adjust which can or not work., in hair cases some hairs types can't be exported like a full dforce hair can't be exported because it is developed to work only inside daz, too high poly hairs like fibermesh or strand based also have a chance to not get exported, then you must pay attention to what you are exporting, it have some limitation not because of pluging but because many of daz features where made to work only on daz and can't really be exported to others places and work in the same way or even work. 

read this post it can help you understand some of the limitations.

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/432206/daz-to-unreal-guide-for-newcomers-the-famous-before-your-buy-or-limitations ;

Post edited by Ellessarr on
  • Well that was easy, it was the hair I was using.  Amara Braids is not dForce but does have bones to control the braids.

https://www.daz3d.com/mrl-amara-braids-for-genesis-3-and-8-female-s

Base Eva with no clothes/hair works.  I added the same outfit as Sabeh and it works as well.

Thanks for your help!  I'm sure I'll have other questions...

• EllessarrEllessarr Posts: 1,390

stefanbarlow said:

Well that was easy, it was the hair I was using.  Amara Braids is not dForce but does have bones to control the braids.

https://www.daz3d.com/mrl-amara-braids-for-genesis-3-and-8-female-s

Base Eva with no clothes/hair works.  I added the same outfit as Sabeh and it works as well.

Thanks for your help!  I'm sure I'll have other questions...

the problem with the hair is not the bones to be fair you can export hairs with extra bones they are naturally added, to the main body, the issue it' seens being really the "fibermesh as i've told before fibermesh is "too dense" for unreal and it can easy break it, with too dense hairs, then pay attention to that. 

• Generally hair, figures, or clothing with extra bones should just work.  I have run into problems (rarely) where clothing converted from an older genesis character had a different bone structure associated with it so it didn't proprerly merge with the new character and caused an issue.  Whenever I saw this it was with Genesis3 clothing on a Genesis8 character.
    Out of that list of warnings, the only one that I think is valid is:

There is no geometry information in mesh.

Is it possible you had something other than the root of the character selected when you exported the character?  Like one of the bones, or a character accessory?

Also, Ellessarr is correct, some hair is just very heavy.  If you combine it with subdivision or morphs you can get over what Unreal can handle.

If you narrow the problem down to a specific hair or clothing asset let me know what it was.