How to create a Shader Preset

tomsfo1tomsfo1 Posts: 86
edited December 1969 in New Users

Can someone put me on the right track?

I can change the color/texture of an item of clothing by loading a Shader Preset.

I can also apply a JPG to the skin. See image.

I have an image of a crochet texture. I used GIMP to make the background transparent. I'm hoping to apply this as a Shader Preset to have a crochet shader. The Surface Editor does not have an option to Diffuse Color as skin does to load the texture image.

I'm thinking I either need to make a Shader Preset or change the UV map for the clothing, but Shader Editor only had default, and I don't know how to do either.

Thanks for your time.

Try_Crochet_Top.png
741 x 592 - 316K

Comments

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

Have you looked at Save As > Shader Preset in the File menu?

The Surface Editor does not have an option to Diffuse Color as skin does to load the texture image.

Not sure what you mean here, can you give an example?
  • tomsfo1tomsfo1 Posts: 86
    edited December 1969

Thank you for your response Jimmy,

As I was trying to explain - and didn't do a very good job - I want to apply the crochet texture to the shirt as I was able to apply it to the skin.

For the skin Diffuse Color there is a drop-down that you can enter an image file of the texture to apply it to the skin. I would like to apply this texture to the shirt instead. But for Color for the shirt there is not a similar drop-down box for the texture.

So I thought, perhaps, I could make a Preset from the texture image. But I don't know how I would go about doing that. Perhaps there is another way to apply the texture to the shirt, like a shader.

I can't do a File Save As since I'm not able to apply the texture to the shirt.

Thanks again.

Shader_Preset_Q_1.PNG
    421 x 338 - 17K
    Shader_Preset_Q_2.PNG
    419 x 453 - 38K
  • jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449
    edited December 1969

To create a shader it is best to create a simple primitive and apply the shader base then make your adjustments to that base.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

Well...it isn't showing the option to add an image texture, because the shader used on the shirt does not have that option available. So, no making a preset won't help in this case.

You need to apply a different shader, before you can change anything other than the diffuse color. SimpleSkin is a very basic shader without a lot of options...so that's where the problem lies.