Pause Render, Enable Denoiser, then Re-start Render?

mikethe3dguymikethe3dguy Posts: 515

Usually I don't engage the denoiser filter, but there are times when a challenging scene has rendered for many minutes, or even hours in extreme cases, when I realize it will really need it. It's not always easy to determine in advance a "safe" number of iterations before having it engage, and then you're stuck either with a noisy render, or having to entirely re-render with denoiser set to kick in at an appropriate time.

When you cancel a render and leave the window open, can you enable denoiser before resuming? And if so, is the number of iterations you set it to engage calculated from the start of the render, or from the point where you resume it?

Post edited by mikethe3dguy on

Comments

• IceCrMnIceCrMn Posts: 2,107

On the left side of the render in progress window there is a small drawer handle about half way down.Very small and easy to miss.

Click it and a drawer pulls out and you have access to many render settings "on the fly".

Should find at least 2 of the denoisers in there.

"Post SSIM" under "Progressive Rendering"

and

"Post Denoiser" under "filtering"

• mikethe3dguymikethe3dguy Posts: 515
    edited January 2022

IceCrMn said:

On the left side of the render in progress window there is a small drawer handle about half way down.Very small and easy to miss.

Click it and a drawer pulls out and you have access to many render settings "on the fly".

Should find at least 2 of the denoisers in there.

"Post SSIM" under "Progressive Rendering"

and

"Post Denoiser" under "filtering"

Urgh. I'd forgotten about that. I have a render in progress now, for almost an hour. When I clicked the handle and enabled post denoiser, the whole render instantly re-started from iteration 1, suddenly reverting as if I had just begun rendering. Both in iteration numbers and actual image rendering progress. So I can enable denoiser "on the fly" if I'm willing to swat the "fly" back to its starting point. This is what I wanted to avoid.

Did the completion percentage return to zero?

I'm trying out both of them on an intentionally very noisy scene.

What I'm seeing is the iteration count restart at 1, but the completion percentage stays at what ever percentage it was when I activated one of the denoisers.

Once the denoiser catches up, the completion percentage continues from where it left off.

I admit, I don't use denoisers much, so I'm no expert on them.

Normally I would just stop the render and go find out what I did to make all the noise to start with.

Usually it's me not putting in enough light or a combination of low light and lots of glossy/reflective surfaces.

• mikethe3dguymikethe3dguy Posts: 515
    edited January 2022

IceCrMn said:

Did the completion percentage return to zero.

I'm trying out both of them on an intentionally very noisy scene.

What I'm seeing is the iteration count restart at 1, but the completion percentage stays at what ever percentage it was when I activated one of the denoisers.

Once the denoiser catches up, the completion percentage continues from where it left off.

You know I'm not completely sure. When I saw the image go to hell I assumed it did but you may be right. Too late now anyway... possible oops on my part.

I admit, I don't use denoisers much, so I'm no expert on them.

Normally I would just stop the render and go find out what I did to make all the noise to start with.

Usually it's me not putting in enough light or a combination of low light and lots of glossy/reflective surfaces.

Even the post denoiser didn't fix my problem, it turned out. It is on a couple glass windows on a car in a dark crowded freeway scene - with darkness but punctuated by bright white and red lights (headlights and brakelights). I thought it was noise but now looking carefully at the completed render I think it's actually reflection from the asphalt road surface. If I tweaked surfaces a bit I might be able to reduce or eliminate it, but actually it's not worth the trouble - it's on only two sequential  renders in a long series that came out fine, and it's not too terribly bad. There are so many reflections everywhere (shiny car paint, mirrors, glass and tons of bright lights!) that this "noise" almost gets lost in the reflection blizzard. Typically the only time I use a denoiser is on animation frames, where fast renders are essential and detail not as important.

• Denoiser is mandatory. All render Engine use Denoiser.

Use it on DAZ it works nice and speed. No lost quality as you can heard on YT.... All works use denoiser since many years... xD

• Anarkia333 said:

Denoiser is mandatory. All render Engine use Denoiser.

Use it on DAZ it works nice and speed. No lost quality as you can heard on YT.... All works use denoiser since many years... xD

Denoiser is not mandatory, or even a good choice always. It can be useful if you have noise issues in a scene and know at what point to have it engage. Most of my renders are noise-free when completed, and I've had enough problems with it softening detail that I only use it when needed to solve a problem.

• mikethe3dguy said:

Anarkia333 said:

Denoiser is not mandatory, or even a good choice always. It can be useful if you have noise issues in a scene and know at what point to have it engage. Most of my renders are noise-free when completed, and I've had enough problems with it softening detail that I only use it when needed to solve a problem.

It is wrong Denoiser no lost details...

Can you put image comparaison?

Why not use?  

• Anarkia333 said:

mikethe3dguy said:

Anarkia333 said:

It is wrong Denoiser no lost details...

Can you put image comparaison?

Why not use?  

The denoiser can blur fine details, such as cloth weave or grills on props, especially if they are at a distance. Adjusting its timing may well help, but then it is questionable whether the adjust and rerender sequence iss aving time over a longer initial render.

I was under the impression that all denoisers and firefly remover type software functioned by blurring pixels to remove the noise/firefly using an average color generated by nearby pixels.

That's why it's recommended to render at 2x the desired image size so after the render, denoising, and firefly removal the down scaled image has slightly better quality.

Is that not how denoisers and firefly removers work?

• Anarkia333Anarkia333 Posts: 104
    edited January 2022

Oh yea I make Render at 10 000*6 000 pixel, and with denoiser I see 0 difference in lost details with and without, may be that... xD

I don't understand how you do witouht Denoiser, in scen Interior DARK, Noise is everywhere... And I make Dark scene inside all time.... I see often people put BIG POWER light white in sphere everywhere, oki no noise, but render is just bad and flat.... xD

Many many scene I bought has this system : Sphere Light at 5000000000000000000000 Millions, I need to remake all light for to have nice render with Iray.

feets3c.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 327K
    Post edited by Anarkia333 on
  • Anarkia333 said:

Oh yea I make Render at 10 000*6 000 pixel, and with denoiser I see 0 difference in lost details with and without, may be that... xD

I don't understand how you do witouht Denoiser, in scen Interior DARK, Noise is everywhere... And I make Dark scene inside all time.... I see often people put BIG POWER light white in sphere everywhere, oki no noise, but render is just bad and flat.... xD

Many many scene I bought has this system : Sphere Light at 5000000000000000000000 Millions, I need to remake all light for to have nice render with Iray.

I think your conclusion that denoisers are "mandatory" has to do with the kind of scenes you typically create. So you're not necessarily wrong, but understand that most scenes most people create are not that dark. Nice render though!

• yea exactly :)

Interesting to know 12go I think is needed for Denoiser minimum, when I do render my VRAM is about 11go, and I need to close other software or Denoiser can't works...

• SpaciousSpacious Posts: 481

Here's a link to a great GUI for both the intel and nvidia denoisers.  You can run anything through it - photos, renders, whatever.  It was made by a DAZ forum member.

https://taosoft.dk/software/freeware/dnden/

• Spacious said:

Here's a link to a great GUI for both the intel and nvidia denoisers.  You can run anything through it - photos, renders, whatever.  It was made by a DAZ forum member.

https://taosoft.dk/software/freeware/dnden/

That's interesting, a denoiser that starts with a rendered image, is that right? I wonder how it determines what's noise and what's detail. Unless I'm misunderstanding.

• cridgitcridgit Posts: 1,757
    edited May 2022

Redacted

Post edited by cridgit on
  • SpaciousSpacious Posts: 481

The item I linked to is just a Graphical User Interface (GUI) for both the Intel and Nvidia denoisers.  As far as I know the Nvidia denoiser is the same that is included in DAZ Studio.  It only functions if you have an Nvidia GPU.  I personelly prefer the intel denoiser as I feel it preserves more detail.

The real benefit to this is that the denoiser in DAZ doesn't work if your render goes to CPU.