Sluggish viewpoint with large scenes

lorraineopualorraineopua Posts: 593

I recently ( last week) upgraded my desktop from a 10 year old 2nd Gen i7 with 20gb of ddr3 RAM to a 10th Gen i5, water cooling, and 64gb of ddr4 RAM and the intention of adding another 64 to bring it up to 128. I’ll also like to upgrade to an i9 further down the track. I want to use all that RAM to create whopping big scenes as that’s what I get my enjoyment from. I’m strictly a 3dl user and so my video card is a GT1030 though I’ll go up to a 1050 when my gaming son upgrades his video card and passes his 1050ti to me. But here’s the problem. Even with all that ram at my disposal, DS is as responsive as wading in cold molasses with a 15gb scene in it (all props, no figures). What’s the guts? Is it the program? The CPU? Or is it the video card? Can I do what I want to do without having nine tenths of the scene turned off so I can navigate around? I’d appreciate some advice as that other 64gb will be a waste of my money if I can’t use it. 

And PS, I’m using Windows 10 Pro and DS 4.15.0.30 though right now it has 4.14.0.10 as I tested that to see if it was any better. I’m loath to go to 4.16 after reading all the problems people are having. 

I edited this after realising I had the scene size wrong. My whole system is using 23gb, DS is using nearly 16. 

Post edited by lorraineopua on

Comments

• It could be the GPU labouring, or it could just be DS - a lot of what needs to eb done is single-threaded, I think, so the extra cores are not doing any good.

• Richard Haseltine said:

It could be the GPU labouring, or it could just be DS - a lot of what needs to eb done is single-threaded, I think, so the extra cores are not doing any good.

Out of curiosity, are there any plans to make it multi-core, similar to how 3Delight renders? I'm not saying go full blast with all available cores, but rather use at least 50-75% of available cores. Feasible or no?

It could be the GPU labouring, or it could just be DS - a lot of what needs to eb done is single-threaded, I think, so the extra cores are not doing any good.

Oh joy. So the only time the extra cores are used is when it's rendering? Who can I ask to find out or where can I go to get the info? Getting info about DS is akin to that stone and its blood. And if it's the GPU I'm stuffed till my son upgrades which won't be for a while. Sigh. I do have everything in groups so it's not too big a problem to turn them off to navigate, I just didn't think I was going to have to with my new hardware. Thanks for answering, Richard, I appreciate it. One more question for you...I think I recall seeing somewhere in the forum you telling someone how to stop DS using all the cores when rendering...I'd really like to be able to keep one free for other processes if it's possible. Cheers.

• magog_a4eb71ab said:

Richard Haseltine said:

Out of curiosity, are there any plans to make it multi-core, similar to how 3Delight renders? I'm not saying go full blast with all available cores, but rather use at least 50-75% of available cores. Feasible or no?

Rendering is usually easy to split into mutliple threads, a lot of other tasks are not so easy. I don't know if more multi-threading for the viewport preparation is possible or not.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,718
    edited January 2022

lorraineopua said:

Richard Haseltine said:

Oh joy. So the only time the extra cores are used is when it's rendering? Who can I ask to find out or where can I go to get the info? Getting info about DS is akin to that stone and its blood. And if it's the GPU I'm stuffed till my son upgrades which won't be for a while. Sigh. I do have everything in groups so it's not too big a problem to turn them off to navigate, I just didn't think I was going to have to with my new hardware. Thanks for answering, Richard, I appreciate it. One more question for you...I think I recall seeing somewhere in the forum you telling someone how to stop DS using all the cores when rendering...I'd really like to be able to keep one free for other processes if it's possible. Cheers.

In DS it's an Iray feature, set in the Advanced tab of Render Settings. If you want to limit 3Deligth it's done through Task Manager - for Wiondows 10 you need to have More Details enabled, so the window has multiple tabs, then in the main Processes tab right-click on the Daz Studio icon and select Go To Details, or just go straight to the Details tab and find daz Studio directly; right-click on Daz Studio>Set Affinity and uncheck as many cores as you want. This has to be done each time - it is possible to write a batch file to do the job but I can't recall the steps.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on

lorraineopua said:

Richard Haseltine said:

In DS it's an Iray feature, set in the Advanced tab of Render Settings. If you want to limit 3Deligth it's done through Task Manager - for Wiondows 10 you need to have More Details enabled, so the window has multiple tabs, then in the main Processes tab right-click on the Daz Studio icon and select Go To Details, or just go straight to the Details tab and find daz Studio directly; right-click on Daz Studio>Set Affinity and uncheck as many cores as you want. This has to be done each time - it is possible to write a batch file to do the job but I can't recall the steps.

Thanks, Richard