Significant CPU usage, even after unticking it

Hey there!

I've been looking around to find someoen else mentioning this uissue, but couldn't really find anything useful.
So hopefully someone here could shed a light on why, even after unticking the CPU in the advanced render tab, both from the "photoreal mode" and "interactive mode" tabs it's still being used to a very high degree.

I have a 3060Ti, it is better than my CPU, and since the upgrade, my render times are significantly better. Obviously thanks to the new, GPU. But if that's the case, why is my CPU still going crazy?
Is there another step beyond the ticking in the advanced tab I don't know about?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Comments

• airlegacy22airlegacy22 Posts: 31
    edited January 2022

UPDATE: I found a fallback option, and unticked it. Now it seems to be better. I don't understand why that would metter, though. I don't think DAZ used that feature... but who knows.

Post edited by airlegacy22 on
  • PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,471
    edited January 2022

airlegacy22 said:

UPDATE: I found a fallback option, and unticked it. Now it seems to be better. I don't understand why that would metter, though. I don't think DAZ used that feature... but who knows.

If unticking that option had an effect, it means your scenes have been too big to fit your GPU's VRAM and the rendering has been done on CPU - After unticking those same scenes should fail to render as there is nothing to render with. 

The 3060TI is an 8GB card and it isn't hard to exceed the available VRAM

Post edited by PerttiA on
  • yea I have been some BUG with that.... xD

Yea 8go is just, I have a RTX3060 12Go and ONLY One Hair force hair and One G8.1 and I am out VRAM... xD

• airlegacy22 said:

Hey there!

I've been looking around to find someoen else mentioning this uissue, but couldn't really find anything useful.
    So hopefully someone here could shed a light on why, even after unticking the CPU in the advanced render tab, both from the "photoreal mode" and "interactive mode" tabs it's still being used to a very high degree.

I have a 3060Ti, it is better than my CPU, and since the upgrade, my render times are significantly better. Obviously thanks to the new, GPU. But if that's the case, why is my CPU still going crazy?
    Is there another step beyond the ticking in the advanced tab I don't know about?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Are you running another app (another instance of DS?) that uses GPU memory?  Your GPU may be running out of memory.

Are you rendering a scene containing D-Force Strand-Based Hair?  I have noticed that the CPU Utilization can get pretty high in such scenes.  If you are rendering D-Force Hair, try reducing "Render Line Tessalation Sides" in the hair object.  In my example, reducing the value from 3 to 2 resulted in a reduction in rendering time from >60min to 6min, with an acceptable loss of hair rendering quality.  Furthermore, for Tessalation=3, the CPU was doing most of the work, my GPU Utiliztion was about 6%. 

TessalationSettings.jpg
    517 x 1115 - 89K
    TaskManagerTessalation3.jpg
    1118 x 872 - 179K