[Legacy Poser-to-DS Help] V4 Rigging Breaks When Opened in DS

IN SHORT:

I'm presently troubleshooting recurring issues around the rigging of legacy Victoria 4 based figures (originally customized in Poser Pro) when they're opened in Daz Studio.

BACKGROUND:

- Over time (meaning the last 3 years or more) I've encountered broken rigging in V4 figures opened in DS. V4 figures originally customized in Poser Pro and used there with no problems often import to DS with distorted rigging issues that render them unusable.
- Example: Figures will import in zeroed pose, but with rEye, lEye, upperjaw and lowerjaw severely offset from their intended positions.
- Example: Facial morphs will not work properly. They are distorted from their intended appearance and sometimes cause bones in the head to translate, dragging jaw pieces and/or the eyes with them.

- I started learning DS in 2018, but I've used Poser Pro since Poser 8 through Poser 12. These issues have persisted the whole time, but they're not always consistent. Sometimes a V4 character from Poser will import with rigging more or less intact and working properly.

WHAT I NEED:

- What parameters to look for to determine what's causing these distortions.
- Whether or not the distorted figures can be "fixed" in DS.
- How to configure my characters to import to DS without broken rigging.

TECH DETAILS:

Windows 10 Home v. 21H1
DAZ Studio 4.16.0.3 Pro (64-bit)
Poser Pro 12.0.757
- DS & Poser content Runtimes installed to external drive

Example screenshots attached. Any helpful insights appreciated!

BV

DS_202201_01.jpg
619 x 626 - 41K
DS_202201_02.jpg
680 x 804 - 61K
DS_202201_03.jpg
612 x 777 - 52K
DS_202201_04.jpg
1264 x 774 - 125K
DS_202201_05.jpg
1263 x 767 - 125K
DS_202201_06.jpg
1237 x 900 - 113K

Comments

• docbotherdocbother Posts: 106
    edited January 2022

I have had similer results from V4 base characters where I have applied a character morph and tweaked some of the morphs++ under Poser 11 and tried to load into DS. I got the distortions that I see in your second image above (gigantic spikes extending from the shoulders) and less noticable  wierdness. I was able to reproduce the character in DS by following the same steps in DS that I used in Poser, which got acceptable results that was restorable as a DS scene.

Granted, that is a pain to do if you have more than a couple of this projects in your files, or have some that were the result adding god-knows how many litle tweaks.

Post edited by docbother on
  • What did the customisation amount to?

• Richard Haseltine said:

What did the customisation amount to?

That's what I'm trying to isolate, because this occurs with multiple characters modified in various degrees. In general, my focus is on more exaggerated super-human type figures... voluptuous women and muscular men. But it's been V4 characters where I've been seeing these problems.

Body modifications based on magnets seem to be especially... explosive. So I've attempted to get around that by making all my modifications into a single morph with the old SyrINJ tool. But that doesn't appear to be foolproof, so I suspect it could be elsewhere.

One thing I'm seeing in the logs is recurrences of something like: "[timestamp] Warning: Failed to load deltas for morph on line [6-digit number] in [path to .cr2 file]." Don't know how important that is.

And the problem is recurring because now I have people wanting commissions of my established V4-based characters with newer ones based on G8F. If I'm going to have to go through this ordeal over and over again, I need to figure out where to expand my knowledge so troubleshoot more effectively.

Is anyone aware of something in the formating of Poser .cr2 files that causes these problems? If It's a matter of getting smart on that, I may have some reading to do.

• docbother said:

Granted, that is a pain to do if you have more than a couple of this projects in your files, or have some that were the result adding god-knows how many litle tweaks.

That's exactly what I hope to avoid if possible. As I said above, I have multiple V4 characters that could potentially need updating to be DS friendly. I've done it a couple times, but I wasn't able to isolate what I did right, and I'm not sure what to look for.

• If it's failing to load the deltas (the actual shape changes) but is loading any associated joint adjustments that would certainly produce distortions, not to mention a failure to match the intended shape. I don't, however, know why it would happen or what you could do to fix it.

• I'm not aware of any .CR2 problems, just wondering if you open the .CR2 file in (say) Notepad++ whether a visual check might actually see some formatting problems. Years ago playing with Poser 4, I had problems with a .pz3 file I had spent ages working on, and found it was all due to concatenated lines. When I put in a few carriage returns it worked perfectly again. Just hoping for your sake it might be something as simple as that.