lighting in 4.8

HellcatHellcat Posts: 98
edited December 1969 in New Users

i'm not sure what all i need to do. but lighting sets that are supposed to be, and show as, nighttime in 4.6 look like daytime in 4.8. also i have been trying to render an image for the past 3 days, but it hangs at 40-44% every time. i finally said the hell with it and did it in 4.6, thus sacrificing the realism that 4.8 gives. i have rendered the image directly to file as suggested in another thread, but it didnt really help.

Comments

• Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,340
    edited March 2015

If you want your renders in DS4.8 to behave like they did in DS4.6, go to the Render Settings pane and change the render engine to 3Delight. This was the default render engine prior to DS4.8, and while it's not the default one any longer, it's still available in DS4.8.

In DS4.8, there is a new default render engine (Iray). If you want information on lighting in Iray, there are several threads focused on that topic; it can be quite different from lighting in 3Delight, so you should not expect the same results from light presets designed for 3Delight renders. SickleYield's tutorial "Getting Started With Iray" is a good resource.

Post edited by Scott Livingston on
  • Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,340
    edited December 1969

Here's the main forum thread on DS4.8.
    This thread has a lot of helpful information also.