White figures in render

jodycourjodycour Posts: 137
edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

Hey what can you do to restore your figures when they just turn out white in a render?

Comments

• srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241
    edited December 1969

There's a bug somewhere that causes this to happen once and a while. Try rendering again, hopefully it should work on the next try, and this shouldn't happen very often. (I Can't recall if you need to exit and restart DAZ Studio too, or if simply hitting render a second time is enough.)

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 98,148
    edited December 1969

Find the temp folder (it's location is listed in Edit>Preferences) and within that Shader\Brickyard. Delete the contents of the brickyard folder and rerender. That's assuming it's the error that sometimes afflicts the AoA SSS shader.

• ChuckdozerChuckdozer Posts: 453
    edited December 1969

Definitely sounds like the AOA Subsurface shader bug. Saving your work after the white figures turn up in a render will still save your work correctly, though next time you render the scene Daz Studio may take a moment at the start of rendering to "optimize" a few images. Simply shut down and restart Daz Studio (I usually do a full system restart). When you open the scene again your figures should render correctly. Note that if you do many test renders, eventually you may hit render and find all your AOA figures have turned white. Don't freak out... simply save and restart.

• jodycourjodycour Posts: 137
    edited December 1969

Thanks guys I'll try that next time, I've tried restarting also. I finally had to replace the figures with new ones! Pretty frustrating!

• jodycourjodycour Posts: 137
    edited December 1969

Richard Haseltine said:Find the temp folder (it's location is listed in Edit>Preferences) and within that Shader\Brickyard. Delete the contents of the brickyard folder and rerender. That's assuming it's the error that sometimes afflicts the AoA SSS shader.I tried this but I'm not sure how to go about deleting the corect shader/brickyard. How do I find the correct one and how do I delete it?

• nemesis10nemesis10 Posts: 3,306
    edited December 1969

My own standby is when I render and have a corrupted AOA subsurface shader (the cursed white figure) is to 1) add a primitive to a scene, 2) apply the base AOA subsurface shader to the primitive, 3) reapply the correct shader to the white figure, 4) delete the primitive and 5) re render which recompiles the shader. It works uniformly and I don't have to dive through folders.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 98,148
    edited December 1969

There should be only one brickyard folder - where are you looking and what are you seeing?

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

nemesis10 said:
    My own standby is when I render and have a corrupted AOA subsurface shader (the cursed white figure) is to 1) add a primitive to a scene, 2) apply the base AOA subsurface shader to the primitive, 3) reapply the correct shader to the white figure, 4) delete the primitive and 5) re render which recompiles the shader. It works uniformly and I don't have to dive through folders.

But folder diving is set to become an Olympic sport in the one after the next one...

The 'save/shutdown Studio/restart/reload' also forces a recompile...

Also, this isn't just an AoA shader problem. It can strike ANY ShaderMixer built network. So, it isn't really an AoA bug or even a ShaderMixer bug. Maybe call it a design flaw...it's because of how the shader is built that it happens. Anything that causes DS to lose track of whats in the temp folder can do it. It's a temporary construct that lasts for the duration of the open session of Studio...a temporarily compiled shader in the temp folder. It would probably happen less if there was an option to compile the 'finished' network into a standard, reusable shader (but that wouldn't allow further editing of a network).

The only time I've seen more than one brickyard is when Studio crashed and the temp folder wasn't properly cleaned out (it's supposed to do that on exiting). I know that running more than one instance of the same version at the same time can cause this error, too. All you have to do is close one of the instances and the contents of the temp folder are wiped clean.

What OS/version?