dforce Fringe Benefits Hair Only Shows Cap on IRay

I recieved the dforce Fringe Benefits Hair for free over the holiday marathon of free things. 

I only started using it now. I noticed that, the hair looks fine when added. dForce Simulations also happens.

But then, when I switch to IRay to get a preview before I hit Render, I notice that only the hair cap is visible. Is this a product bug? Is there anything I can do to fix it? Essentially, the character is bald but only on IRay and Rendering. The hair appears as normal on all other view previews.

Comments

• The iRay preview window draw style setting by default does not show dForce strand based hair - it would make it too laggy to be usable. Can I suggest you try a small-ish test render to check whether it's in the main render as well? If it's missing from there, too, then there is a deeper problem.

Regards,

Richard.

• I will check a quick render test. But, this does not happen with any other dForce hair. I mean, I literally see the cap on the alraedy bald head. With every other dForce Hair,  they ae visible in all views including IRay Previews, with or without simulation run. 

But, I will update after a quick render test, no problem. 

• Oh my god. You are right.

IRay Preview is bald. But, the final render. I have never seen this behavior today. Thank you.

I have attached images, if someone else comes looking with the same error. Perhaps, the author of the product might look into this behavior/possible bug.

As always, thank you for the help.

FringeBenefitsHair1.PNG
    606 x 301 - 354K
    FringeBenefitsHair2.PNG
    604 x 390 - 571K
    HairCheckSia.png
    500 x 500 - 369K
  • felisfelis Posts: 3,647

That is not a bug.

That is how dForce hair is set to work, due to ressource constrains if it also showed in preview.

• I have already mentioned that I dont face this issue with other dForce Hair. This specific hair is the only one that behaves this way. All other dForce Hair show up just fine on the IRay preview.

So, unable to agree with you on your statement.

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,124

What other dForce hairs? Are the other dForce hairs you work with made using the dForce hair engine, or are they mesh hairs designed to be simulated, like Linday's?

• I have two other.

Nirv Straight Long Hair
    Sea Salt

Both of them look fine in all previews, and dont have the ugly cap thing display like this fringe thing.

The Nirv hair is mesh rather than dForce fibermesh, so it's not a valid point of comparison. In case you don't understand the distinction (and it would be understandable, because the distinction is not always made clear), there are two types of "dForce hair". Some dForce hair sets, like the aforementioned Linday often makes, or the Nirv hair, use mesh strips that are set up to simulate like cloth. Hair made using the dForce hair engine consists of splines that generate polygons upon render, and these hairs are typically set not to appear in previews because they can be quite taxing on the system. Sea Salt appearing in previews by default is a rare exception, and the vast majority of dForce hairs using the dForce hair engine don't.

• @Gordig,

Ah! I was not aware of this. It appears that I have already formed a wrong opinion based on insufficient data.

I consider myself, corrected, he he :P 

Thank you for the explanation. I will stop expecting hair to show up in previews and start expecting them to show up only in final renders.

If you want dForce hair to appear in previews, you can select the hair itself (not the hair cap), then go to General -> Line Tesselation in the Parameters pane and set Viewport Line Tesselation to at least 1, and increase as needed.

• @gordig

Thank you. I have made a note of your suggestion. I will give it a go. 

• I'm having issues. Only cap for fringe benefits is being imported into Blender. Does anyone know a solution??