Lighting Model. Change it somewhere on a figure and all clothes change too.

Whether I have clothes fitted to a character inside it's node tree, or in a sperate group outside it's node tree, any change to anything (character limb or clothing) changes the lighting model for all nodes.

Is this a bug? Surely I should be able to at least seperate out the clothing lighting model from the skin?

If I add a prop that is unrelated to the figure then it's lighting model can be changed independantly so that's ok.

Is it a known limitation or intentional? Thanks.

Comments

• So you are using the Daz Default Shader in 3Delight renders? Please post some examples

• Sci Fi FunkSci Fi Funk Posts: 1,197

@Richard Haseltine  Thanks for getting back to me. I am using IRAY as the render engine.

I've produced a step by step guide of the issue and it's unwanted side effect. The description matches the image sequence.

1. Start point (matte on skin)

2. confirms matte on skin

3. confirms matte on clothes

4. changing to skin on character.

5. confrims clothes also now lighting model: skin.

6. Shows the unwanted glossy effect of skin lighting model on clothes.

Thanks.

1. Start point.JPG
    3839 x 2071 - 1M
    2. matte.JPG
    1118 x 848 - 174K
    3. matte.JPG
    1118 x 848 - 170K
    4. change to skin.JPG
    1118 x 1010 - 236K
    5. clothes also now skin.JPG
    1118 x 1010 - 217K
    6. note the skin shine on the clothes.JPG
    3839 x 2071 - 1M
  • PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,296

In step 4, when you are changing the "lighting model", you have "All" selected and seven items on the list, which can also be seen on the dial as it has 7 in parentheses.

DS is just doing what you tell it to do, which is to change the lighting model to skin on all those items.

@PerttiA  Ah yes.

I returned to DAZ about 9 months ago, after about 10 years in Carrara, and there are still things that I've not learned/re-learned. In this case I didn't know what the number in brackets meant and I didn't realise the significance of ALL and the items below it in the list. Pretty obvious now you've pointed it out to me.

Thanks! Not an issue then, and another day in school for me :)

• Using the 3Delight Daz Default Shader in iray isn't terribly effective - it will work in a way, but it gets converted to the Iray Uber Base shader at render time - if you are wanting to tweak things it would be better to work directly on the Iray Uber Base by applying its preset.

• fastbike1fastbike1 Posts: 4,074

@Sci Fi Funk

You shouldn't need to change the lighting model from the defaults unless you are trying to achieve an unusual effect.

Ok guys thanks for the advice. I'll stick to matte then, and tweak the shader settings.

• Matte shouldn't be the default value.