Converting the old Gazer to .duf format - some glitches

SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
edited December 1969 in Technical Help (nuts n bolts)

I've been on a binge recently of converting old Poser goodies to native D|S .duf format. Mostly fairly successful so far, but tonight I decided to try the old Gazer critter. The problem is that when I converted the figure to Tri-Ax (can't save as a Figure/Prop Asset otherwise) I lose the geometry switching that lets me select the end of each tentacle to be an eye, claw or sucker pad.

Is this a flaw in weight-mapping conversion, or is it just that geometry switching doesn't play nice with .duf format? I do have an older save as a pre-duf .daz scene file, and the switching does work there (although the parameter names are a bit mangled). Ideas, anyone, before I put in a support ticket?

Comments

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

I've been on a binge recently of converting old Poser goodies to native D|S .duf format. Mostly fairly successful so far, but tonight I decided to try the old Gazer critter. The problem is that when I converted the figure to Tri-Ax (can't save as a Figure/Prop Asset otherwise) I lose the geometry switching that lets me select the end of each tentacle to be an eye, claw or sucker pad.

Is this a flaw in weight-mapping conversion, or is it just that geometry switching doesn't play nice with .duf format? I do have an older save as a pre-duf .daz scene file, and the switching does work there (although the parameter names are a bit mangled). Ideas, anyone, before I put in a support ticket?

Now that explains why I gave up on converting him...I just thought it was something I was doing wrong.

Sorry, no tips/ideas, just joining you in your misery.

Now where did I put that skin set I was working on for him...

• PendraiaPendraia Posts: 3,591
    edited December 1969

I remember that initially there were problems with geometry switching but I thought that they had been fixed.

Is it possible to export to a modeller and convert them to geografting?

• BejaymacBejaymac Posts: 1,851
    edited December 1969

Which is why most of my Poser "figures" (aka anything with bones) are either still in their original CR2 or have been saved as a scene subset, converting Poser legacy rigging to TriAx is not a good idea unless you plan on doing a complete re-rig and new WM, as the conversion normally leaves you with a figure that actually bends worse than it did before.

Then there's the morphs, if you didn't INJect them before conversion you wont be able to after it, even if you did INJect them you will end up having to rebuild them as the system doesn't like some types of morphs (see attached pic of G4), on top of that you end up with 1 morph asset DSF for every valueParm in the CR2 and 2 DSF files for every targetGeom which on some figures can leave you with 15k DSF files and one laggy system.

When you convert a figure to TriAx it stops being a collection of props held together by the bone welds, and is turned into a single mesh with a separate skeleton, this means you don't have any props to swap out any more so you will have to figure out how to convert them to geo-grafts.

EEKKKK.jpg
    464 x 647 - 97K
  • mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

And that's that...do able, but a real PITA...

Just how do you set up a geograft for a nonGenesis figure? Or will Studio just 'do it' with any TriAx figure?

• PendraiaPendraia Posts: 3,591
    edited March 2015

Interesting info Bejaymac!

Is it possible to convert the figure. Then send both to a modelling program to and cut up the props and make them geografts?

Seems like a lot of work...

I think Geografts should work with any triax mapped figure. Genesis is a system within DS. I have clones etc... set up for the Hivewire figures so I don't see that geografting is any different it's part of the DS content creation tools.

Post edited by Pendraia on
  • SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited December 1969

Bejaymac said:
    When you convert a figure to TriAx it stops being a collection of props held together by the bone welds, and is turned into a single mesh with a separate skeleton, this means you don't have any props to swap out any more so you will have to figure out how to convert them to geo-grafts.

Ah, that explains it perfectly, thanks. I did put in that support ticket, and it turns out saving as scene subset is pretty much the only thing I can do that preserves morphs and geometry switching.

Now to dig into the critter's materials, and see if I can make them even more hideous — er, I mean, improve them... :ahhh: