Dforce Hair Not Morphing MorphLoaderPro?

DefaultNameDefaultName Posts: 368

When I use MorphLoaderPro to load a morph of the hair I saved as an OBJ, it just shrinks the hair, instead of applying the morph. What am I doing wrong?

Post edited by DefaultName on

Comments

• Am I going about this the right way? Is what I want even possible? 

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,024

If you're talking about hair made with the dForce hair engine, I don't know if there's a way for end users to create morphs for it. The trick about dForce hair is that it doesn't contain any actual geometry until you render it, so when you export the obj, the only thing that gets exported as geometry is the hair cap, and the actual hair is just splines.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,049

I have made morphs for dForce hair products I purchased in the store. When I get a chance, I will document what worked for me. I'm in the middle of other work right now, though.

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,024

barbult said:

I have made morphs for dForce hair products I purchased in the store. When I get a chance, I will document what worked for me. I'm in the middle of other work right now, though.

Not surprised that it would be you who knew how to do this.

I don't know if all these settings are critical or not, but this is what works for me:

1. Load G8F
    2. Select G8F and a load dForce hair (I'm using dForce Neroli Hair).
    3. In the Scene pane, select dForce hair object (not the cap).
    4. In Parameters pane, make sure Generate PS Hairs, Generate PR Hairs and Preview PR Hairs are On. Make sure Line Tessellation is >0? It is 3 on the hair I am using.
    5. Zero out any morphs in the dForce hair that are set when the hair is loaded.
    6. Select the Geometry Editor Tool.
    7. Hide everything except dForce hair object in the Scene pane.
    8. Export to OBJ.
    9. Import OBJ to modeler (Blender, etc.) modify and export modified OBJ.
    10. Back in DS with dForce hair object still selected and Geometry Editor tool still selected, run Morph Loader Pro.
    11. In Morph Loader Pro, load the modified hair OBJ and create the morph.
    12. Save the morph as a morph asset.

Instead of editing an OBJ in a modeler, you can drape the hair with dForce and export that as an OBJ. Clear the simulation, and import the OBJ with Morph Loader Pro. Save the morph as a morph asset.

Remember to select a tool other than Geometry Editor or Mesh Grabber before rendering.

• DefaultNameDefaultName Posts: 368
    edited January 2022

barbult said:

I don't know if all these settings are critical or not, but this is what works for me:

1. Load G8F
    4. In Parameters pane, make sure Generate PS Hairs, Generate PR Hairs and Preview PR Hairs are On. Make sure Line Tessellation is >0? It is 3 on the hair I am using.
    8. Export to OBJ.
    10. Back in DS with dForce hair object still selected and Geometry Editor tool still selected, run Morph Loader Pro.

Instead of editing an OBJ in a modeler, you can drape the hair with dForce and export that as an OBJ. Clear the simulation, and import the OBJ with Morph Loader Pro. Save the morph as a morph asset.

Remember to select a tool other than Geometry Editor or Mesh Grabber before rendering.

Thank you for the detailed response. I think I understand all of that, so I'm going to try it now and get back to you here. I have no knowledge of using Blender, so I'm going to try this all within Daz3d, and it it matters, this is the hair I'm trying it with https://www.daz3d.com/classic-long-curly-hair-with-dforce-for-genesis-8-females

I've tried these steps previously with dforce, and all it did was cause the hair to shrink on using the created morph, but I'll try again.

Post edited by DefaultName on
  • barbult said:

1. Load G8F
    8. Export to OBJ.

No same results. I get the morph from MorphLoaderPro, but it just makes the hair shrink and not move in any way 

Classic Long Curly Hair is not strand-based dForce hair. So, my instructions are not directly applicable. Classic Long Curly Hair uses the dForce cloth engine, not the dForce hair engine. I own it, though, so let me take a look when I get a chance.

• barbult said:

Classic Long Curly Hair is not strand-based dForce hair. So, my instructions are not directly applicable. Classic Long Curly Hair uses the dForce cloth engine, not the dForce hair engine. I own it, though, so let me take a look when I get a chance.

Oh, I see. Thanks for looking into it, if you do find out, I'd really appreciate it.

It would be really helpful to be able to simulate that hair from a flexible starting position, the problem with it is that it often clips through the floor, for example, if I'm trying to simulate it for a scene with a laying figure.

edited January 2022

Did you do the mandatory step of changing the hair Mesh Resolution Level, in the Parameters pane, from High Resolution to Base before exporting?

Did you hide everything except the hair before exporting?

Post edited by barbult on
  • barbult said:

Did you do the mandatory step of changing the hair Mesh Resolution Level, in the Parameters pane, from High Resolution to Base before exporting?

Did you hide everything except the hair before exporting?

Yes and yes. The geometry "matches", but the hair itself doesn't conform to what should be the morph. The dial shows, but when I use it, it just shrinks the hair without moving it 

edited January 2022

It works perfectly for me. I need to know more about your process. Are you starting with the hair on the default Genesis 8 Female shape, not morphed or moved or scaled at all? (I mean Genesis not morphed or moved or scaled.)

Post edited by barbult on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,711

that sounds like a scaling issue

are you exporting and importing at the same scale?

WendyLuvsCatz said:

Excellent question!

• barbult said:

It works perfectly for me. I need to know more about your process. Are you starting with the hair on the default Genesis 8 Female shape, not morphed or moved or scaled at all? (I mean Genesis not morphed or moved or scaled.)

I used the G8F dev figure, I can use a truly base G8F, I think.

To answer the other question, when I export I just export as it shows. If there are things to adjust when I export, I haven't tried any, except making the hair base resolution 

• WendyLuvsCatz said:

I've also tried resizing it after loading through MorphLoaderPro. So I load the morph, then apply to 100%, the hair shrinks, so I scale the hair again, but find it hasn't moved 

DefaultName said:

barbult said:

I used the G8F dev figure, I can use a truly base G8F, I think.

To answer the other question, when I export I just export as it shows. If there are things to adjust when I export, I haven't tried any, except making the hair base resolution 

G8F Dev figure is perfect. Stick with it,

I always export and import at Daz Studio setting. 1 unit = 1 CM. I have no scaling problems.

• barbult said:

I always export and import at Daz Studio setting. 1 unit = 1 CM. I have no scaling problems.

Oh! I think mine was defaulted to "Bryce"? I set it to Daz Studio, and now the morph is working on the hair, but not staying on the figure's head. As I dial the new morph, it floats up and away

• DefaultName said:

barbult said:

Oh! I think mine was defaulted to "Bryce"? I set it to Daz Studio, and now the morph is working on the hair, but not staying on the figure's head. As I dial the new morph, it floats up and away

oh wait, I remember what you said about zeroing the dials before exporting, I'm going to retry with zeroing after the simulation

• barbult said:

Success! After zeroing and using the right measurement, it works just as I wanted. THANK YOU!

So sorry for the newbie mistake, I always thought Bryce was just 'default' and never thought to check it 

DefaultName said:

DefaultName said:

barbult said:

oh wait, I remember what you said about zeroing the dials before exporting, I'm going to retry with zeroing after the simulation

I don't think you want to zero BEFORE exporting, or you will lose the shape you are trying to export.  After exporting, you want to zero the hair and clear any simulation before running Morph Loader Pro, so you apply your exported shape to the default hair shape.

DefaultName said:

barbult said:

Success! After zeroing and using the right measurement, it works just as I wanted. THANK YOU!

So sorry for the newbie mistake, I always thought Bryce was just 'default' and never thought to check it 

yes Write it all down for reference for next time! It is amazing how fast we can forget how to do things or overlook a setting that we need to change, etc. 

• barbult said:

DefaultName said:

DefaultName said:

barbult said:

I don't think you want to zero BEFORE exporting, or you will lose the shape you are trying to export.  After exporting, you want to zero the hair and clear any simulation before running Morph Loader Pro, so you apply your exported shape to the default hair shape.

I see what you mean. Fortunately this gets the hair into the position I want it before simulation now. I need to experiment with this more and create some morphs for what I want