Installing Bryce Pro on Win 8.1

edited December 1969 in Bryce Discussion

Hi all,
I've been missing Bryce lately and am thinking of getting a new PC to be able to render again. Most new PC's come with Windows 8.1. Has anyone tried installing Bryce onto Win 8.1? What were your experiences? Does it work correctly? Are there any things to be aware of? I've searched the threads and found comments about installing into Win 7 but didn't notice anything about installing onto Win 8.1. If anyone can enlighten me, I would be happy to get a new PC and start rendering again! Also, is it possible to run two instances of Bryce simultaneously? Then my wife and I can have our own designs running at the same time.

FYI I'm looking at a Lenovo with a core i7 and 16gb RAM. I've seen similar configs on sale for around $650. All for a $20 program! Man, this addiction is strong! :)

Thanks all,
Ashish

Comments

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,541
    edited December 1969

@plaid_hippo - I've read of folks that run Bryce 7.1 on Win 8.1 but hopefully, someone confirms this. If there's enough memory (and 16 GB are generously enough), there are no issues to run more than one instance of Bryce. At least it worked since Win98 and still does on 7. I see no reason why it shouldn't on Win 8.1.

• edited December 1969

Thanks Horo! I appreciate the quick response. I figure it will work, and at worst, maybe I can downgrade it to win 7 which I've seen people have success with. Time to buy a new PC! :)

-ashish

PS - if anyone else has concrete evidence, please do follow up with your experiences!

• Hermit CrabHermit Crab Posts: 841
    edited December 1969

Hello everyone,

I've been popping into the Bryce forums more and more recently because each time I'm amazed by the wonderful work of art people here are producing.

Bryce was the first 3d program I bought - version 5 but I have to confess that I haven't used it nearly enough (I was grateful to get the latest version (7 Pro) when DAZ gave it for free a couple of years back).

Generally I spend my 3d time with Carrara, Hexagon, Iclone and Poser but in recent weeks upgraded my computer to an i3 64 bit with a Nvidea GEforce 750ti.

I've been putting my software onto the new computer and was delighted at how well Bryce worked for me (on Windows 8.1 which is also new for me).

Now I only used it once (but for a full evening) and haven't had a chance to install the half-gigabyte or so of Content but it was a whole new experience to have Bryce work at greater speed than I had ever seen it do before. I definitely intend to use Bryce more than before.

I only have one monitor, etc. which means I'm still mostly going back to using my old computer until I get everything else copied over.

I'd like to say how nice it is to eavesdrop on the discussions here - it's a place of exemplary good manners!

• Tim82Tim82 Posts: 859
    edited December 1969

hi, I cant provide solid proof of this! ...but, i have successfully installed bryce 7.1 pro on a PC running Windows 8.1 and have not encountered any problems so far, everything seems to be working as intended :)

• edited December 1969

Hi everyone! Thanks for the inputs. I bit the bullet and bought my PC. I downloaded and installed Bryce with no problems. The program runs beautifully and quickly.

I did have one problem, but it seems minor - the Bryce Pro Content pack, which is about 20Mb in size (not the actual Bryce content), seems to be having trouble installing. It gets an error early in the installation and immediately quits. Don't have the exact details, but it's not a big deal.

Thanks again everyone! Looking forward to contributing to the great art I see here!

• edited December 1969

hi everyone. After intall Bryce 7 pr0 in windows 8.1. I have a problem. When I send my work from DazStudio to Bryce, ( toons ) Bryce is runout of memory. why ????

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,541
    edited December 1969

@Dazimage - welcome to this forum. Bryce does everything in memory but because it is a 32-bit application, cannot address more than 2 GB. DS content is sometimes very memory intensive. You can make Bryce large address aware so it can address up to around 3.2 GB and/or you can export from DS as OBJ, make the image textures smaller with a graphics application and then import into Bryce.