Third party work in Daz 4.7?

scottcscottc Posts: 15
edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

Hi,
I'm finding that Daz and third party software that I have downloaded either quits working on characters that I have it on, or won't load at all. Many of the files were created in 4.6 and I recently changed to 4.7.

For example, Wild Mane Hair (CR2), which I purchased over a year ago from DigitalIDC (now on Daz) , stopped working on the Michael 4 character (CR2), and now won't go on at all except as a mustache. This occurred in the second act for the main character in a semi-commercial trial production, so the character just lost his hair - very disruptive.

Mrs. Fishers Wardrobe seems to have permanently lost one of the dresses I purchased over a year ago. Did I download the package again and it had been removed? The very stylish dress would have made the character, which isn't in the production yet.

I tried to use Halloween Cat (.duf by Amy Pettijohn). I put it into the contents. Daz can see it, but won't load it. I'm finding that even though I follow the video tutorials, it just doesn't work. I would look at the error log, but I can't find it, or find a reference in the documentation to the error log location. The error log doesn't seem to be in the program folder or in the Windows folder. (I worked for years in software development.)

How do I get these things to work?

Thanks.

Comments

• srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241
    edited December 1969

To see your DAZ Studio log file, in DAZ Studio, from the menu select
    Help > Troubleshooting > View Log File
    then once it is open in Wordpad, within Wordpad select File > Save As, then copy the Windows file path. (which I believe will be different depending on your operating system, such as from Windows 7 to Windows XP, etc.) Once you have found it, you can create a shortcut or something to the log file to get back to it easier.

Not sure if this is still true, but in the past you would have to perform some action that flushes the file buffer if you wanted to look at the very end of it (I always just exited or something).

• scottcscottc Posts: 15
    edited December 1969

Thanks, Sean! That should help some.

edited December 1969

Tried Wildmane Hair again. Fit to M4. Only goes on as a moustache.

Log file:

File loaded in 0 min 0.0 sec.
    Loaded file: WildMane Hair.duf
    Loaded Morph Deltas in 0 min 0.0 sec.
    Loaded file: JSMChstBBk_abdomen_JSMChstBBk_515.dsf
    Loaded file: JSMChstSRt_abdomen_JSMChstSRt_270.dsf
    Loaded file: JSMChstBBk_chest_JSMChstBBk_400.dsf
    Loaded file: JSMChstSRt_chest_JSMChstSRt_378.dsf
    Loaded file: JSMNckBFw_chest_JSMNckBFw_244.dsf
    Loaded file: JSMNckSLt_chest_JSMNckSLt_20.dsf
    Loaded file: JSMNckTRt_chest_JSMNckTRt_73.dsf
    Loaded file: JSMNckBFw_neck_JSMNckBFw_259.dsf
    Loaded file: JSMNckSLt_neck_JSMNckSLt_46.dsf
    Loaded file: JSMNckBFw_head_JSMNckBFw_23.dsf
    Loaded file: JSMChstBBk_rCollar_JSMChstBBk_80.dsf
    Loaded file: JSMChstSRt_rCollar_JSMChstSRt_22.dsf
    Loaded file: JSMChstBBk_lCollar_JSMChstBBk_83.dsf
    Loaded file: JSMChstSRt_lCollar_JSMChstSRt_257.dsf
    Loaded file: JSMAbdBFw_hip_JSMAbdBFw_443.dsf
    Loaded file: JSMAbdSRt_hip_JSMAbdSRt_132.dsf
    Loaded file: JSMAbdBFwSRt_hip_JSMAbdBFwSRt_45.dsf
    Loaded file: JSMAbdBFw_abdomen_JSMAbdBFw_845.dsf
    Loaded file: JSMAbdBFwSRt_abdomen_JSMAbdBFwSRt_404.dsf
    Loaded file: JSMAbdSRt_abdomen_JSMAbdSRt_391.dsf
    Loaded file: JSMChstBBkSRt_abdomen_JSMChstBBkSRt_51.dsf
    Loaded file: JSMChstBBkSRt_chest_JSMChstBBkSRt_109.dsf
    Loaded file: JSMChstBBkSRt_rCollar_JSMChstBBkSRt_25.dsf
    Loaded file: JSMAbdBFwTLt_hip_JSMAbdBFwTLt_36.dsf
    Loaded file: JSMAbdBFwTLt_abdomen_JSMAbdBFwTLt_1000.dsf
    Loaded file: JSMAbdBFwTLt_chest_JSMAbdBFwTLt_5.dsf
    Loaded file: JSMNckTLt_chest_JSMNckTLt_159.dsf
    Loaded file: JSMNckBBk_neck_JSMNckBBk_71.dsf
    Loaded file: JSMChstSLt_abdomen_JSMChstSLt_304.dsf
    Loaded file: JSMChstBBkSLt_abdomen_JSMChstBBkSLt_92.dsf
    Loaded file: JSMChstBBkSLt_chest_JSMChstBBkSLt_109.dsf
    Loaded file: JSMChstSLt_chest_JSMChstSLt_484.dsf
    Loaded file: JSMChstSLt_rCollar_JSMChstSLt_321.dsf
    Loaded file: JSMChstBBkSLt_lCollar_JSMChstBBkSLt_22.dsf
    Loaded file: JSMChstSLt_lCollar_JSMChstSLt_24.dsf

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited March 2015

Have you tried re-downloading it from your product library.

Wildmane hair (which came out at DAZ 3D in around 2009) has fits for various characters, which come as pose files if I recall correctly. It has fits for M4,M3,D3,Luke and Laura Matt and Maddie amongst others

There was an update on it at one stage, which updated the textures to include DS settings.

Post edited by Chohole on
    edited December 1969

The scene is saved as a .duf. Even though I select a .cr2 file (michael 4 is .cr2), the program tries to load wildmane hair as a .duf. Using the .duf version doesn't work either.

edited December 1969

Thanks, Admin.
    I originally purchased it from DigitalIDC before it was part of Daz. So I can't re-download it. (Wasn't aware at that time that DAZ had it.)

edited March 2015

According to the store page it comes as a Hr 2 file, which is Poser format. As I said this is one of the older DAZ 3D hairs and was released originally in Poser format.

edited March 2015

scottc said:
    Thanks, Admin.
    I originally purchased it from DigitalIDC before it was part of Daz. So I can't re-download it. (Wasn't aware at that time that DAZ had it.)

You say you purchased this from digitalldc a year ago, yet it has been in the DAZ 3D store since 2009

Are we talking about the same WildMane hair. I know of only one, which is a DAZ Original, made by Neftis and is a HR2 format hair.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

There is also a Genesis version of Wildmane hair which is free (it's in Genesis Starter Essentials), but neither the ,hr2 version nor the .duf version is available from anywhere but DAZ 3D.

edited December 1969

Checking. May take a while to confirm the source.

edited March 2015

The one I'm trying to put on is indeed installed in Genesis as Wildmane, with 10 different materials. I think originally I was using "LeadingManHR2" from DigitalIDC.
    So, any idea why Wildmane doesn't work - appears as a moustache?

I'm guessing it doesn't fit M4.

Post edited by scottc on
    edited December 1969

Thanks, everyone. I imported LeadingManHR2 and it worked. My error - too many files to keep track of. :cheese:

• jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449
    edited December 1969

There is a WildMane that is included with Genesis Starter Essentials, it is a .duf file and made Genesis so it will not Fit-To Michael 4. Most short style hairs can be scaled, translated and rotated to fit the head of the figure then needs to parented in place to the head. If you another hair named WildMane then don't use Smart Content, use Content Library pane so you can locate and load the right one.

edited December 1969

Got it, Power Member, thanks! Confusion on the hair issue was my fault, as noted above. I use LeadingMan Hair on that character, not Wildmane, and was able to import it. The biggest problem was the year interlude in this production while I produced STL Comedy, and what little skills I had developed mostly left during that time.

I have a lot of other issues, such as the inability of Davey Jones Locker pirate costumes to work on characters I purchased them for, and the inability to load Halloween Cat (.duf by Amy Pettijohn). And Wildmane Hair won't go on M4, but I don't need it.

Candidly, these issues take up so much time to resolve that they rob me of production time and it's more productive to just let them drop and find some other way to go, since I'm on a relatively tight time schedule. (I'm rushing to get Act 2A of my current pilot production, Too Stupid to Live, done by the 30th. It's monthly on YouTube on STL Comedy.)

I really appreciate those who came to the rescue in this forum - restores my faith in DAZ, which I really like, even though I'm not very experienced. Great program.

Major thanks!

edited December 1969

For Davy Jones Locker, make sure you're loading the clothing first, which is in "Content Library > Poser Formats > [content library name] >Figures > M4Pirate". The files in "Content Library > DAZ Studio Formats > [content library name] > People > Michael 4 > Clothing" are just the material presets that need to be applied after the clothing is loaded.

For Halloween Cat, what is the full path to the .duf file? Is it a stand-alone figure, or a texture set?

edited December 1969

Fixmypcmike:
    Davy Jones Locker in my package only consists of .ds files. There are no .cr2 files like in M4 Pirate. Davy Jones Locker worked for me a year ago on M4, but not now. (The page for Davy Jones says that M4 Pirate is required, which is a clothing package and I have it.)

On Halloween Cat, it seems to be just a .duf file (3 varieties) with no materials or runtime. I placed it under Animals / Halloween / in the file structure. I can see it there in DAZ, but it won't load. I get an error that says see log file, but there is nothing new in the log file. In fact, I emptied it, and still get this message in the log file: Error reading file, see log for more details.

edited December 1969

You need to load the M4 Pirate clothing, then select each piece and apply the Davy Jones Locker materials to it.

Is Halloween Cat a freebie? Do you have a link?

edited December 1969

Ahaaaaaa! Thanks, Mike. That's different on Davy Jones. I'll try that.

For Halloween Cat, yes it is free, and tested on 4.6, but not 4.7.

http://www.daz3d.com/animals/millennium-big-cat-le or http://www.daz3d.com/animals/millennium-big-cat

Creator is Amy Pettijohn: http://bouncingdog.blogspot.com/

edited December 1969

The Halloween Cat has a Runtime folder with the textures -- do you have that merged with the Runtime folder in your content folder (e.g. My Library)?

edited December 1969

Yes, the textures are in there. Runtime/textures/Bouncing Dog Graphics/Halloween/Mil Cat They are JPG images.

The source for the file I gave you from the readme is incorrect. Sorry. It is not (http://www.daz3d.com/animals/millennium-big-cat-le or http://www.daz3d.com/animals/millennium-big-cat) that was in the readme. Those are purchase characters.

The free package I downloaded is at: http://www.sharecg.com/v/77924/browse/21/DAZ-Studio/Halloween-Materials-Big-Cat

edited December 1969

Do you have the Mil Big Cat or Mil Big Cat LE? Halloween Cat is just skins for it, you probably need to load the Mil Big Cat first.

edited December 1969

No, I don't have Big Cat. Thought I was downloading the actual figure - they are .dufs. So that explains that.
    Thanks, Mike. I think you cleared up the Davy Jones and Cat problems.

Big thanks for the help - owe you one.