Zepelin Star Wooden Gangway & rear deck missing

pwiecekpwiecek Posts: 1,576
edited December 1969 in Technical Help (nuts n bolts)

The Zeppelin star has a front gangway that gives access to the port engine and a large desk on the rear of the port side. These are missing on the starboard. Why?

At first I thought I had a corrupt OBJ but I can see the gangway is missing on the promos and the rear starboard deck is fully hidden.

Is there a workaround? Do I have t take it into a modeller and copy the port over to the starboard?

Comments

• srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241
    edited December 1969

It appears the design is simply asymetrical. View from the top and you'll see it isn't just a missing surface, the deck is just shaped that way. I don't know the reason, perhaps that was the design plan, perhaps it allows for more variety by allowing a render from each side with a different appearance, you'd have to ask the artist.

Possibly a low-budget (if resource inefficient) workaround is to simply make a duplicate copy and set the X scale to -100, which then gives you a deck on both sides (really two objects, but you can't see the parts that are identenical in the same spots). I haven't looked closely to determine if this will cause any weird overlap issues, and of course that workaround will cause extra work if you wanted to pose, deform, use transparency etc.

• pwiecekpwiecek Posts: 1,576
    edited December 1969

It appears the design is simply asymetrical. View from the top and you'll see it isn't just a missing surface, the deck is just shaped that way. I don't know the reason, perhaps that was the design plan, perhaps it allows for more variety by allowing a render from each side with a different appearance, you'd have to ask the artist.

Possibly a low-budget (if resource inefficient) workaround is to simply make a duplicate copy and set the X scale to -100, which then gives you a deck on both sides (really two objects, but you can't see the parts that are identenical in the same spots). I haven't looked closely to determine if this will cause any weird overlap issues, and of course that workaround will cause extra work if you wanted to pose, deform, use transparency etc.

Cool. To take it a step further, you could strip all the geometry out of the obj except the gangway and re-save the obj. Stripping out unwanted geometry is an order of magnitude easier than modeling. In fact, I usually do it in UV Mapper rather than a modeling program.

Thanks for the reply.

• pwiecekpwiecek Posts: 1,576
    edited December 1969

Sample Render.

Still needs some texture work

Zeppelin_Star.png
    601 x 710 - 310K