Moving some of the textures to a diffferent drive

Hey everyone!

This might be more of a Windows question, than a DAZ one, I'm not sure. But here it is:

I have a very weird and unfortunate free-space situation on my two drives. My question is, would it be possible to move SOME of the textures in the runtime folder to another drive, and have DAZ find it automatically if necessary? If I just remove the textures, DAZ asks me to locate them. Is there a way to tell the program, that if it's not "here" it's "there"?

Or alternatively, is there a way in Windows to set it up. Because unfortunately a simple shortcut won't cut it.

Thanks in adance for any help!

Comments

• felisfelis Posts: 3,656

How are you installing?

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,456
    edited January 2022

Depends on how comfortable are you with tinkering a computer. You can install tens of terabytes of stuff on a 250GB C-drive with DS not seeing anything strange with it.

Alternatively, you can move your whole content library out of C-drive and just point DS to look for it in a new location.

Post edited by PerttiA on
  • As long as they are correctly placed then yes, you can split the content directory - though ti will make it impossible to fully uninstall or update the products so, if you use an installer rather than doing the job manually, it would eb ebtter to move complete products. Still, just designate a folder on the other drive as a Daz Studio (and/or Poser) Format Content directory, move items from the exsiting cotnent directory (e.g. My Daz 3d Library) to the new location, and everything should load correctly.

• airlegacy22airlegacy22 Posts: 31
    edited January 2022

Edit: I've found how to do it.

For anyone interested: Preferences/Content/Content Directory Manager,  and just set a new location, place stuff in it, with the correct folder sturcture and done.

Thank you Richard, that's exactly what I was looking for!

Post edited by airlegacy22 on
  • PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,456

airlegacy22 said:

Richard Haseltine said:

Still, just designate a folder on the other drive as a Daz Studio (and/or Poser) Format Content directory, move items from the exsiting cotnent directory (e.g. My Daz 3d Library) to the new location, and everything should load correctly.

I install products manually, by placing things in the MyDAZ 3D Library folder. And I only want to place some textures from the Runtime/Textures folder. So it wouldn't be a big deal.
    What you said about designating a folder on the other drive, so DAZ could pull textures from both places, that'd be perfect.

I have no clue how to do it though. If it's not a hassle, could you give a quick rundown please? Thank you!

You cannot place the textures to a folder outside the content library that holds the rest of the products the textures are part of.
    Either you have to create a new content folder to another drive and move whole products there, or you need to mount a drive or a folder into your current content library as runtime\textures folder.

But, if you are installing content manually, why not just move your whole content library to a folder on another drive?

• PerttiA said:

airlegacy22 said:

Richard Haseltine said:

Still, just designate a folder on the other drive as a Daz Studio (and/or Poser) Format Content directory, move items from the exsiting cotnent directory (e.g. My Daz 3d Library) to the new location, and everything should load correctly.

I install products manually, by placing things in the MyDAZ 3D Library folder. And I only want to place some textures from the Runtime/Textures folder. So it wouldn't be a big deal.
    What you said about designating a folder on the other drive, so DAZ could pull textures from both places, that'd be perfect.

I have no clue how to do it though. If it's not a hassle, could you give a quick rundown please? Thank you!

You cannot place the textures to a folder outside the content library that holds the rest of the products the textures are part of.
    Either you have to create a new content folder to another drive and move whole products there, or you need to mount a drive or a folder into your current content library as runtime\textures folder.

But, if you are installing content manually, why not just move your whole content library to a folder on another drive?

"you have to create a new content folder to another drive"

Yeah. That's exactly what my question was. Richard above suggested exactly that. And as I described, I can't put everything on the other drive. Because of my current free space issue. This is a very specific situation, and my question was; is it possible to put textures on another drive, and have DAZ find them without me having to deal with the error message, every time.
    And the answer is yes, so my problem is now solved.

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,026

As long as they're in another registered content directory and the relative path is correct DS will find the textures, even if the rest of the product is in another content directory.