I’m new here, hi! I’m using the 4.8 Beta of Daz and have a couple of vital questions...

edited March 2015 in New Users

I am familiar with and use 3d modeling programs like 3ds Max and clara.io. I love the high poly figures of daz3d and am super into the whole render thing, very cool. Am I able to import fbx files into a scene in daz? I have tried to do it but when the fbx file is brought into the scene, the xyz is there but not the fbx file.

Thanks, and Iray is really cool.. I hope this forum is the place to go to for answers..

Post edited by smtelephone_cb7254b03a on

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,549
    edited December 1969

Although some FBX files will import it isn't, and isn't intended to be, a general route for loading rigged figures. You should be able to import static mesh with features like edge-weighting that aren't supported by OBJ, however.

• edited December 1969

Hi could I import a model of a a table or like a lamp I made in 3ds Max to use as a prop for a scene in daz?

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

Hi could I import a model of a a table or like a lamp I made in 3ds Max to use as a prop for a scene in daz?

Yes, but export format is important. FBX or OBJ would probably be the ones to go with...and since it isn't 'boned' the FBX will not 'mess up'.

• edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:

Yes, but export format is important. FBX or OBJ would probably be the ones to go with...and since it isn't 'boned' the FBX will not 'mess up'.

Ok are there any tutorials on how to do it? I tried to import an fbx file beforehand only the xyz gizmo was showing in my daz scene, the object wasnt there. Does that make sense?

• kaotkblisskaotkbliss Posts: 2,914
    edited December 1969

I know sometimes working with models from other programs (most often 3dsmax exported as .obj for me) objects are absolutely huge (or maybe microscopic tiny) click on the obj in the scene tab, then click on the [+] in the viewport. It will zoom in/out and center the object on the screen. Then you'll just need to scale it accordingly.

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,406
    edited March 2015

Select your object in the "scene" tab then "frame" the camera so that it will focus on it. Does it appear? If so it might be a problem with import scale (it imported as huge so you don't see it, for example), or its origin point may be away from (0,0,0).

edit: I see kaotkbliss had the same idea :)

Also check the surface tab, it might have imported but with opacity at 0%.

Post edited by Leana on
  • mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

And one other problem I've had...but mostly with boned FBX files, is that it's collapsed in upon itself..remove the bones and it 'inflates' (some times just 'zeroing' it out works, too).

Scale and opacity are by far the more common problems.

• edited March 2015

Irar renders coming out with a deep pink hue to the entire picture, anyone want to tell me what I am doing so horribly wrong?

Post edited by smtelephone_cb7254b03a on
  • BeeMKayBeeMKay Posts: 7,018
    edited March 2015

It would be helpful if you post your settings. What lights did you use, how are your envirement settings in the render panel, etc. :-)

Post edited by BeeMKay on