Shadow from plane when Cast Shadows is set to OFF

3dOutlaw3dOutlaw Posts: 2,471
edited December 1969 in Technical Help (nuts n bolts)

Does anyone know why a plane with a texture (diffuse and a opacity map) could cause a shadow on another object, when you have selected the plane prop in the Scene Tab and changed the Parameters -> Display -> Cast Shadows to "OFF"?

Anything else I need to turn off? (not running the beta, just DS 4.7)

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,549
    edited December 1969

Are you sure there isn't another item there? Does making the plane invisible remove the shadow?

• 3dOutlaw3dOutlaw Posts: 2,471
    edited March 2015

Here is a test setup...just two plane primitives.

and yes, making the plane invisible in render makes the shadow go away.

sample.jpg
    1451 x 665 - 121K
    Post edited by 3dOutlaw on
  • mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited March 2015

3doutlaw said:
    Here is a test setup...just two plane primitives.

and yes, making the plane invisible in render makes the shadow go away.

Invisible...how (eyeball in the scene or Opacity to 0% or the on/off box in Parameters)?

What is the light set up?

That almost looks like occlusion to me...not a 'shadow' (as in the sense of one coming from the main lights).

Just did a quick test with some GI lights...and yes, some of them still provide occlusion when the Cast Shadows is off.

Post edited by mjc1016 on
  • 3dOutlaw3dOutlaw Posts: 2,471
    edited December 1969

The light set up is as shown on the left...or do you mean how every light is positioned?

As I understand it, Ambient Occlusion is a shadow calculation, so wouldn't Cast Shadows = Off....remove it from that calculation? If not, how do I remove that particular object from Ambient Occlusion?

Invisible -> Visible in Render = Off

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited March 2015

Cross posted...

But no. The Ambient Occlussion is a separate calculation from the shadow calculations. Depending on how the shader is written it may or may not respect that on/off setting.

Basically you need to have a light shader that understands categories and flagging. Which, most of the ones in DS don't.

Found a light that does work...Envlight2.

It is not included in DS, but it does come with the standalone 3Delight. Mustakettu85 does have a tutorial on how to import it into DS.

http://www.sharecg.com/v/75671/gallery/3/PDF-Tutorial/Alternative-Image-Based-Lighting-in-DAZ-Studio

First render is cast shadows on. Second is off. Envlight2 is the only light in the scene.

castshadowsoff.png
    800 x 800 - 133K
    castshadowson.png
    800 x 800 - 137K
    Post edited by mjc1016 on
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,549
    edited December 1969

If you apply uberSurface, which comes with DS, to the non-shadowed plane you can find an Occlusion setting in the surface parameters - setting that to off will remove the occlusion with uberEnironment 2.

• Mustakettu85Mustakettu85 Posts: 2,933
    edited December 1969

Hi everyone,

It's all about ray type.

1) "Cast shadows" is a switch for "transmission" visibility. "Transmission" type rays are those used for raytraced shadows, but I believe that the shadow pass (the one when DSM (deep shadow maps) are generated) should respect this setting, too.

2) "Occlusion" on/off is a switch for visibility to "diffuse" rays. "Diffuse" type rays are those used for ambient occlusion or indirect lighting.

The ray type is associated with certain shadeops (shading language functions) by default, but can be overriden by the author of the shader; basically, it's just a label.