Problem locating Rhinoman for genesis by Valander in my content.

cdemeritcdemerit Posts: 505

So I'm a notorious pack rat of free content, and have long struggled with finding the items I'm looking for in my content library. I recently realized what the "categorize" button does, and am slowly working my way through all the "stuff" I've collected to try and group the items in a way I can find them faster, however, this is no small task.

I've managed to find all my characters (finally, no more hunting) except for Rhinoman by Valander. I recently purchased Rhinoman from one of the sales, and DIM installed it correctly. I even got to try it out for a little bit the night I purchased it, so I know it is/was there and working correctly. I also picked up Rhino for Freak & Genesis by JoeQuick a couple days later, and now I can not find Rhinoman, any searches of my file/database only yields JoeQuick's Rhino and not Valander's Rhinoman, with the exception of the Rhinoman skin file.

I even went as far as going to the DIM, uninstalling Rhinoman and then Reinstalling it, and restarting DAZ. No luck. A search of the computer shows Rhinoman installed in a number of directories, yet I still can't find it in Daz. I have been hunting for it for over 2 hrs now, Any ideas on where to find it?

Side question. Once you categorize a folder, is there a way to make it not show up in your content library? I've had to have re-categorized several of the same folders already categorized "just to be sure" It would be nice to "turn off" that which is done so I can see better where I am.

Post edited by cdemerit on

Comments

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

The files should be in "Content Library > DAZ Studio Formats > [content library name] > People > Genesis > Materials > Rhinoman" or in "Content Library > Products > R > The Rhinoman".

If I understand your other question, what I do is a bit complicated, but I use my own categories to categorize everything. The trick is to categorize things yourself first, before DIM does. There are 2 ways to do this:

Method 1 -- if you're comfortable installing things manually:
    1) Unzip the product's zip file into a dummy folder
    2) Go into the folder named "Content" in that dummy folder and move what's inside into your "My DAZ 3D Library" folder (or whatever location you have DIM set to install to). Make sure the folders merge with the ones in "My DAZ 3D Library" -- do not move over the folder named "Content" itself, just what's inside. If you are on a Mac, make sure you know the proper way to do this so that it merges rather than replacing the existing folders.
    3) I usually do about half a dozen products at a time.
    4) Launch DS
    5) "Scan Known Directories For Content" -- the items you just installed will show up in Categories > Default > Unassigned
    6) Categorize everything until Unassigned is empty
    7) Close DS and launch DIM
    8) Install the products you just installed manually with DIM
    9) In DIM, go to Settings > Installation, right-click on the location DIM installed the products, and choose "Fix Installed File Registry".
    10) Go back to step 1 for the next batch of products

Method 2 -- if you would rather not do it manually:
    1) Launch DIM and leave it open
    2) After DIM is finished starting up, launch DAZ Studio
    3) In DS, go to Content Library options menu and choose "Stop CMS"
    4) Close DS
    5) Install content with DIM -- I usually do about half a dozen products at a time. Since CMS is stopped, nothing is added to the database.
    6) Launch DS -- CMS should restart automatically; if it doesn't, start it from the Content Library options menu
    7) "Scan Known Directories For Content" -- since CMS was stopped when DIM installed them, everything will show up in Categories > Default > Unassigned
    8) Categorize everything until Unassigned is empty
    9) Re-Import metadata for the newly-installed products
    10) Go back to step 3 for the next batch of products

Some explanations:
    1) Even though I've categorized things myself, I still want to re-import metadata for the other features it has, like knowing what kind of item each file is, the interdependencies, etc.
    2) Using Method 1, DIM will create the entries in Products for everything it installs, even items that don't come with metadata. I'm not sure if DIM will do that using Method 2.
    3) The "Fix Installed File Registry" in Method 1 is so that DIM will be able to properly uninstall and update items. When DIM installs a file, if it sees that the file already exists, it adds it to "InstallManagerFileRegister.json" so that if more than one product uses the same file, DIM won't remove it if you uninstall one product but not the others. Since you installed the files manually, when DIM installs it again it sees all the files were already there, so it assumes they were installed for another product. "Fix Installed File Registry" recreates the "InstallManagerFileRegister.json" based only on what DIM installed, so it won't think those files shouldn't be removed.

• cdemeritcdemerit Posts: 505
    edited December 1969

The files should be in "Content Library > DAZ Studio Formats > [content library name] > People > Genesis > Materials > Rhinoman" or in "Content Library > Products > R > The Rhinoman".

This gets me his skin "materials" but not the preset loads like I've seen on every other character I have. It is possible I am mistaken and and loaded the rhinoman from a morph slider (which I did find) but I could have sworn I did a click/load of the rhinoman... Oh well, I guess I'll just make a preload.... It is of course still possible I'll find it under a layer of junk....

If I understand your other question, what I do is a bit complicated, but I use my own categories to categorize everything. The trick is to categorize things yourself first, before DIM does. There are 2 ways to do this:

Method 1 -- if you're comfortable installing things manually:

Method 2 -- if you would rather not do it manually:

Some explanations:
    1) Even though I've categorized things myself, I still want to re-import metadata for the other features it has, like knowing what kind of item each file is, the interdependencies, etc.
    2) Using Method 1, DIM will create the entries in Products for everything it installs, even items that don't come with metadata. I'm not sure if DIM will do that using Method 2.
    3) The "Fix Installed File Registry" in Method 1 is so that DIM will be able to properly uninstall and update items. When DIM installs a file, if it sees that the file already exists, it adds it to "InstallManagerFileRegister.json" so that if more than one product uses the same file, DIM won't remove it if you uninstall one product but not the others. Since you installed the files manually, when DIM installs it again it sees all the files were already there, so it assumes they were installed for another product. "Fix Installed File Registry" recreates the "InstallManagerFileRegister.json" based only on what DIM installed, so it won't think those files shouldn't be removed.

Thank you for this, it will help immensely. I have no real issue installing manually, as a vast majority of my content is 3rd party freebies... And my content library is a chaotic mess, not helped by having duplicates in both poser as well as daz formats, and textures that are nowhere near their parent object. I have a lot of work sorting through this mess, but at least now it should go faster... now most of the issues I have left, you can't help with, as they are figuring out which category things belong in....

edited December 1969

There doesn't seem to be a preload for Rhinoman.

edited December 1969

BTW, adamr001 has a template for categories here: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/15192/
    Also, remember that you can categorize something in multiple places -- for example when I have pose sets that include expressions for each pose I often categorize the expressions both with the poses and in my expressions category, or if an outfit comes with weapons I categorize them both with the outfit and in my weapons category.

• cdemeritcdemerit Posts: 505
    edited December 1969

There doesn't seem to be a preload for Rhinoman.

How Strange... I must have used a preload of something else first... possible Raw Bacon as that is a similar base, and I bought both at the same time (amongst several other genesis characters that night). That will be the first character I've purchased that didn't have a preload... but at least I know I wasn't blind in trying to find it.

and thanks again for the categorizing help. I'll eventually get there, as I said, a lot of it is about where I want to put things.... and how to tag the items so I know where I got them from..... such as do I want to leave Faunus and catfolk under HFS directory, or do I want to move them up a directory and rename them HFS_faunus or .... or.... or.... plus with the mess I made, there are a lot of duplicates that wi'll need to be thinned out, I expect it will take months to finish sorting, but for now, I'm just happy to have all the characters in a single spot... no more hunting for which "Genesis" folder they were in..

edited December 1969

It can take a while to work out the best method for you, but it's so worth it. Plus, if you later figure out you want to change it, it's a lot easier to rearrange the categories than to rearrange the disk files and folders.

And remember to Export User Data periodically, in case you need to reset your database.