Working on a good likeness, need feedback

Hello,

Just started taking a look at the morphs pack I bought, I'm really bad at face modeling in 3D Software since I mostly model creatures, but I wanted to give a try to Daz Morphing because why not. I'm working on a character based on Hadam singer, who is a old k-pop singer from a girlsband named "Bambino". This is the first time I try to get a good likeness, and well, I wanted to get your opinion about my "creation".

It's still work in progress, here the actual render with reference next to it :

https://imgur.com/a/FJVzKb8

Do you think I'm quite accurate on the likeness ? I would be glad to get some feedback because I have the feeling that with makeup the singer is different on EVERY photos

Thank you !!

Comments

• csaacsaa Posts: 812
    edited January 2022

@Malahel,

The morphing I've done in Daz is pretty much limited to the sliders in the shaping panel. In my experience, with regards to the ethnicity of the final outcome, it matters what the base model I start with. Since you're aming for a specific K-Pop singer, I suggest starting with a base figure that's modeled closely to her ethnicity. Not only will you get the proportions of the limbs close to your goal, you'll also get the facial structure close to the mark as well. Lastly the skin hues matter too. Asian skin -- I should say North Asian skin -- has its unique tones. Again, using the base figure with a similar skin shader will get you ahead in the game.

As a real-world observation, I find that the concept of "race" is partly in the eye of the beholder. Our ability to sense differences depends on the degree of familiarity and exposure. So aside from studying the particular K-pop model, I'd also suggest looking at images of Korean women in general as well. With time you'll pick up the subtle hints that distinguish their unique features.

If you've loitered around the Daz forums for a while, you'll find that ethnicty of figures is a hot button topic. From a signal-to-noise ratio, I hope I'm contributing more clarity rather than confustion.

Cheers!

Post edited by csaa on
  • FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,321

When trying to duplicate an existing face,  it is best to have at least two images,  one directly headon,  full face closeup,  and one directly sideview profile close up.  with those two , you can  determine the relative shape of the head,   and the proportions of the nose relative to the mouth and  in  relation to chin and brow.   |With those images you can superimpose the render over the photo and check the accuracy of your spun dials.

Your morph does look unique and interesting,  but she does not look like the reference photo included.

• csaa said:

@Malahel,

The morphing I've done in Daz is pretty much limited to the sliders in the shaping panel. In my experience, with regards to the ethnicity of the final outcome, it matters what the base model I start with. Since you're aming for a specific K-Pop singer, I suggest starting with a base figure that's modeled closely to her ethnicity. Not only will you get the proportions of the limbs close to your goal, you'll also get the facial structure close to the mark as well. Lastly the skin hues matter too. Asian skin -- I should say North Asian skin -- has its unique tones. Again, using the base figure with a similar skin shader will get you ahead in the game.

As a real-world observation, I find that the concept of "race" is partly in the eye of the beholder. Our ability to sense differences depends on the degree of familiarity and exposure. So aside from studying the particular K-pop model, I'd also suggest looking at images of Korean women in general as well. With time you'll pick up the subtle hints that distinguish their unique features.

If you've loitered around the Daz forums for a while, you'll find that ethnicty of figures is a hot button topic. From a signal-to-noise ratio, I hope I'm contributing more clarity rather than confustion.

Cheers!

Thank you very much for your feedback ! Yes I guess the biggest issue are for the eyes and the nose particularly, The korean eyes are really specials.

I'm quite new on the forum, I never really posted and it's been just few weeks that I really started using Daz Studio, before I was just using it as a simple poser for drawing. I just bought some morphs pack in order to make a lot of characters, and I also have Victoria 8 and 8.1, so nothing which look like a Korean woman. Do you have any suggestion of "base character" which would be the best for such project ? 

• csaacsaa Posts: 812

Malahel said:

Do you have any suggestion of "base character" which would be the best for such project ?

I only have three G8 figures that I use to approximate women from north Asia. Sadly two of them have disappeared from the Daz store. (Don't ask me why.) (1) Kim Seohyun (2) Go Luk Bundle (not available) (3) Grace Yong (gone too).

What I find useful is heading to the Daz galleries where people post their renders. Often they also identify the Daz figures they've used. Check this out - https://www.daz3d.com/gallery/category/asian-woman - Of course searching the Daz store gives you a ton of options.

Cheers!

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,151

I highly recommend Virtual World's East Asian Women for morphs. The skin is great, too, but it has baked-in eyebrows if that's an issue for you. It requires Mei Lin 8 to work properly, and her base skin is almost shockingly good.

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929

It looks like you are getting there but the face is way too long and you need a different toned skin materials too. Fix those 2 & pose again.

• So I tried using Kim Seohyun preset from Daz Store, using my morph datas, well, there's a slight UV issue since there's a black seam, I guess maybe the morphs sliders are not really compatible with this character even it's Genesis 8 ? I will render in Blender Cycles so I will likely tweak and fix it later.

I guess it's "better", I worked with more photos :

https://imgur.com/a/DOmnSMx

Do you think it's better in term of likeness ?

• Worked on the morph today again, I guess I'm slowly getting it :

https://imgur.com/a/AauRTOM

• charles_2239525charles_2239525 Posts: 775
    edited January 2022

Looks better for sure, but without real decent images and profiles of original it's hard to say. One thing to keep in mind most people don't realize when trying to use photos to reproduce someone is that the image itself is not accurate. The focal length will distort the face in ways you don't realize. Shorter focal lengths like say with a 24mm will alongate and higher ones flatten it out. Sometimes if you have a professional image you are looking at you can open it up in a paint program or look at the file details in folder and it MAY give you that information.  Without it and an understanding of how it effects the face you are seeing means you will always be off from the real persons likeness.

So if you know the focal length you adjust your daz camera to be the same, so you know they match up. Otherwise you are like looking at a 35mm photo shot and working in daz at 45mm and you see how that doesn't work.

Post edited by charles_2239525 on
  • nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929

Like Charles said. Much better but I can't see enough detail in the pictures of the real person.