Sending the Perspective View camera into the stratosphere

Why, when I select a figure or prop and click the View: Frame button does it sometimes act reasonably and show the item from a meter or two away... but sometimes it sends the perspective camera (or Top View or whatever) somewhere off into the solar system, apparently assuming I wanted a "satellite view" of it? It's a pain to get the camera back closer to the scene, and I can't see why this behavior is so inconsistent.

Comments

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,478

If the item (or bone) you selected was huge, like the ground, clicking the frame fits all of the item into view.
    It may do that also if one has moved the item far away from it's origin, fitting the item and it's origin into the same view.

• mikethe3dguymikethe3dguy Posts: 515
    edited January 2022

PerttiA said:

If the item (or bone) you selected was huge, like the ground, clicking the frame fits all of the item into view.
    It may do that also if one has moved the item far away from it's origin, fitting the item and it's origin into the same view.

This happens when I'm viewing a G8 figure who is pretty close to world center. The view is sent so high that the entire 40m x 40m ground plane covers just a fraction of my viewport.

Post edited by mikethe3dguy on
  • PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,478
    edited January 2022

Are you sure you have the G8 selected when you click? if nothing is selected, the view will cover absolutely everything you have in the scene, including any and all lightsources (sun?)

Post edited by PerttiA on
  • PerttiA said:

Are you sure you have the G8 selected when you click? if nothing is selected, the view will cover absolutely everything you have in the scene, including any and all lightsources (sun?)

100% sure.

• When it fails, how far is the object from the origin and which way are you looking? If the target is away from the origin and the viiew is not towards the origin then you can get that effect - orbit the camera so it is lookingtowards the origin and frame again should help.

• mikethe3dguymikethe3dguy Posts: 515
    edited January 2022

Richard Haseltine said:

When it fails, how far is the object from the origin and which way are you looking? If the target is away from the origin and the viiew is not towards the origin then you can get that effect - orbit the camera so it is lookingtowards the origin and frame again should help.

I can try that, but I just experimented by turning the Perspective View so the origin and the figure are essentially behind the camera and it just swivels around to point at the figure at a reasonable distance like I would expect. I have opened and closed the scene probably 3 times now. After the first couple times the problem was re-occurring but now it doesn't seem to be. Even when the problem was happening I had the Perspective View close to both the origin and the figure (probably between them) and just wanted to have the view rotating around the figure. I'd click and suddenly I was on a plane at 20,000 foot altitude looking down.

The figure is at 329, 0, -107 and I haven't moved it from there since the issue began.

Post edited by mikethe3dguy on
  • IceCrMnIceCrMn Posts: 2,114

This also happens when you have the Surface Selection Tool active.

• IceCrMn said:

This also happens when you have the Surface Selection Tool active.

Interesting. That's a possibility.