Pan vs Dolly

ScavengerScavenger Posts: 2,664
edited December 1969 in New Users

Can someone describe what the difference between panning the camera and dollying the camera is?

Comments

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

Panning the camera, is like standing still (in one place) with the camera, and moving the camera side to side across the scene.

Dolly is like having the camera on a trolley, and moving the camera physically across a scene (to prevent motion or vibration such as when walking)

Most of these terms can be found explained fully using Google.

• ScavengerScavenger Posts: 2,664
    edited December 1969

Yes, in real world, I know what they are..but I'm not seeing a difference between panning a camera left or dollying it left..ie left mouse clik vs right mouse click.

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

I see what you mean!

Pan appears to move the camera Left/ Right and Up/Down, where Dolly appears to move the camera Left/Right and In/Out. It is not what I would have thought.

Orbit, keeps the camera in the same position, and is what I would describe as a Pan.

These terms appear to change with the software in the 3D world, and can be different in the various packages from what I can gather

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,548
    edited December 1969

Pan doesn't involve changing the direction of the camera, just moving it in a plane. Dolly is in out, but since the drag allows two directions the other is used for left right (which can be useful to correct the framing as you dolly in). Dolly is not the same as zoom, which adjusts the focal length of the camera without changing its position in space.