Carrara 8.5 Pro - are they about to do an update to v9?

3DScreencraft3DScreencraft Posts: 486
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

Hi all, I have Carrara 8. I'd like to go to 8.5 Pro but - are they about to do the nooky on us, and produce v9? I can't afford to buy 8.5 and then find there's a 9. I get the shakes just thinking about it, my heart is pounding, my mouth is dry .... is there a v9 in the making??

Also, with 8.5 Pro on sale, I presume we don't get an upgrade price on that? :D :D :D

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• mikael-aronssonmikael-aronsson Posts: 549
    edited December 1969

I would not hold my breath for v9, the 8.5 beta has been out for some time, but it look like DAZ is putting very little resources on Carrara development, it's all DAZ Studio these days.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

:roll:

• 3DScreencraft3DScreencraft Posts: 486
    edited December 1969

Thanks Chohole, that's rather what I thought. I did put the Pro into my shopping cart and it dropped to $32, so I guess that's even better! :) Will go ahead with that then.

Thanks again! :D

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,969
    edited December 1969

To be honest, looks like they are going to make it abandon ware, just like hexagon and Bryce. Saying this because of the historical patterns on pricing. You buy something that is normally
    300 dollars, for a bargain price of 35 dollars. Next thing you know it's free,
    Then it's suddenly 2.99, then you get a copy in your packet of Wheeties along with a blue
    plastic dog.
    Doesn't mean what you bought is worthless, just means the seller can more bucks out of something else and can't see the value
    In it's hidden gems.

The way of the world.
    Very sad.

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited March 2015

And yet there is movement on the beta.....

Andrew, you've been hanging around with the Gloomy Gus's and Sad Stan's at Renderosity again, haven't you? ;-)

Personally, I don't think 9 is right around the corner, but it isn't Hex or Bryce yet.

Post edited by evilproducer on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,069
    edited December 1969

I am using C8.5 with M2!!! at the moment, and some M4's and V3's
    the reason being I can chuck about 20 of them in dressed and haired animated no issues
    Genesis and G2M & F no way I can do that.
    But there is indeed a beta which means DAZ is trying their best to get their latest content working in it properly so I have hope still.
    And light at the end of the tunnel which is me swearing at keymate and the crazy nutzoid DAZ studio camera when I am forced to render in that (using Octane at least thank God 3delight would have me running off a cliff and Iray not much better)

• DUDUDUDU Posts: 1,945
    edited December 1969

Personally, I don't make confidence with the staff of DAZ to make evolve Carrara, they are not programmers anymore but salesmen !
    I organized myself by buying some programs and plugins which enable me to carry out in Carrara all that truths programmers could include in a new version.
    The upgrade C8.5 doesn't seem to be well programmed for Carrara, I believe that I made the good choice by surrounding me of these satellite programs and the plugins which make the connection between C8 and them.
    C9? I don't care now !

edited March 2015

Andrew, you've been hanging around with the Gloomy Gus's and Sad Stan's at Renderosity again, haven't you? ;-)

Personally, I don't think 9 is right around the corner, but it isn't Hex or Bryce yet.

Sorry about that! Yes you are right!

Post edited by Headwax on
  • DUDUDUDU Posts: 1,945
    edited December 1969

head wax said:

Is it a wake-up call EP ?
    Can you list the Gloomy gus's ?

• JonstarkJonstark Posts: 2,738
    edited December 1969

Who knows? Could go either way, hard to read the tea leaves.

Logically and from a business sense... wait, throw all that out the window, since this is Daz. :)

Carrara on a big sale at the moment, and due to some march madness cart glitches got really low on sale last 2 days or so, but that means... not much! :)

Could be the last hurrah to get a few more pennies before going abandonware, sure, but then why the latest beta update, only a week or so ago? Seems there is still some development thrown Carrara's way, at least a trickle.

Could be the last hurrah for 8.5 before they hit us with Carrara9, just as likely too.

Could be just status quo... no news as usual. No news isn't good news or bad news, just the absence of news.

On the plus side, Carrara already does nearly everything I need it to do. Not much more development needed, though it would be fun to smooth out some of the rough edges here and there.

edited December 1969

head wax said:

Is it a wake-up call EP ?
    Can you list the Gloomy gus's ?

Just a general sense of gloom and doom over there. It can be tiring, that is why I mostly lurk.

Gloomy Gus is just a bit of phonetic word play, as is Sad Stan, except in the case of Sad Stan, I will readily admit that I was referring to someone there. I'll let you guess who. ;-) I also don't mean it to be mean, just a little inside joke about his attitude.

edited December 1969

Evil, I beg to differ, I think the forum members are, in the most part, very positive.
    As Jon said, Carrara does what I want it to, I like it.
    I want to see Carrara grow and prosper so people keep developing plug ins and shaders etc for it.
    You probably havnt noticed how a few of our old Carrara die hards are doing well providing stuff for Studio and no longer for Carrara.
    We are lucky to have people like Ringo and Dart and Mike and Phil et all still doing things for Carrara when they could be making a lot more dollars doing the same for Studio.
    But how long will that last?

For Carrara all I need is a cloth sim that works and another thousand forum members to chuck ideas out there! I'd also like Fenric to make some more plugins ;)

Fenric? Where are you .....

Ps mansstan seems to have vanished sadly

edited December 1969

head wax said:

I notice he hasn't posted in a long while, which is a shame imo. In some ways he's the Eeyore of Carrara, but hey who doesn't love Eeyore? :)

edited December 1969

Jonstark said:
    In some ways he's the Eeyore of Carrara, but hey who doesn't love Eeyore? :)

Eeyore? ;-)

edited March 2015

Jonstark said:
    head wax said:

I notice he hasn't posted in a long while, which is a shame imo. In some ways he's the Eeyore of Carrara, but hey who doesn't love Eeyore? :)

he's been banned for a longtime, I meant he has vanished from rendo

Post edited by Headwax on
    edited December 1969

head wax said:
    Jonstark said:
    head wax said:

he's been banned for a longtime, I meant he has vanished from rendo

Oh yeah, I knew that, I meant Rendo too, which is where I normally see him, but haven't seen a post in a good while now.

• DecoyboyDecoyboy Posts: 508
    edited December 1969

Thanks Chohole, that's rather what I thought. I did put the Pro into my shopping cart and it dropped to $32, so I guess that's even better! :) Will go ahead with that then.

Thanks again! :D

I had it in my cart off and on for like 2 months. It always dropped to $32.50 when i looked in my cart. Finally the other day daz had the spend $50 and get $20 off, so when i checked this time, it went down to $12.50. So i bought it. I could have used my $6 coupon but didn't. I will be trying carrara for the first time here in a bit.

edited December 1969

Keep in mind that the release version of Carrara uses the Valentina database thingy and the current version of Studio uses the PostGRE thingy, so they may not talk to each other.

There is a public beta version of Carrara that uses the PostGRE thaing, and I believe you can get it if you file a support ticket with customer service. Just remember it is a beta.

Here's a thread about it, with discussion on what is working and not working.
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/48629/

Here's a thread with some links and ruminations on how to use Carrara by our very own Dartanbeck:
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/15970/

Carrara is a great program with lots of neat features. There is a learning curve, but I thought it was a fun one when I got into it.

The weakest point I think at the moment is Genesis support and the whole database thing tied into it. Genesis does work, but there are some issues that may crop up. Full disclosure, I have an earlier version of Carrara that does not support Genesis, so I haven't used it myself, but plenty of folks here use them on a regular basis.

I can speak from first hand knowledge and say that the Gen4 figures work great!