Removing lots of sounds from a scene at once? (C8.1)

Sci Fi FunkSci Fi Funk Posts: 1,198
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

Hi tried using the Carrara program, seems I can only remove sounds one at at time.

Trouble is I've somehow got hundreds of the same file in a scene which gets merged all over the place.

I tried saving it out uncompressed and editing in word pad but I only corrupted the file (even though the sound files are easily identifiable within the file).

Any help appreciated.

Comments

• Sci Fi FunkSci Fi Funk Posts: 1,198
    edited December 1969

Just bumping this one up again as I'm still clueless on how to solve this.

I can delete one at a time, trouble is one scene (through merging and not realizing) now has 20,000 sounds all the same!

Is there a way of selecting them all at the same time for deletion? I can't find it.

Thanks

• Philemo_CarraraPhilemo_Carrara Posts: 1,175
    edited December 1969

Just bumping this one up again as I'm still clueless on how to solve this.

I can delete one at a time, trouble is one scene (through merging and not realizing) now has 20,000 sounds all the same!

Is there a way of selecting them all at the same time for deletion? I can't find it.

Thanks

Carrara needs an empty msnd slot.
    For instance :

msnd {
    msnd {
    name "test1"
    AbsF "C:\\Documents and Settings\\All Users\\Documents\\My Music\\Sample Music\\test1.wav"
    RelF "C:\\Documents and Settings\\All Users\\Documents\\My Music\\Sample Music\\"
    type wave
    }
    msnd {
    name "test 2"
    AbsF "C:\\Documents and Settings\\All Users\\Documents\\My Music\\Sample Music\\test1.wav"
    RelF "C:\\Documents and Settings\\All Users\\Documents\\My Music\\Sample Music\\"
    type wave
    }
    msnd {
    name "test 3"
    type wave
    }
    msnd {
    name "test 4"
    type wave
    }
    msnd {
    name "test 5"
    type wave
    }
    }

You also have to empty references in the soundtrack

SndT {
    soun {
    name "test 4"
    strt 4050
    chan 0
    }
    }

the file becomes

msnd {

}
    SndT {

}

At least, it works with my sample file. No crash when I reopen the file.

• Philemo_CarraraPhilemo_Carrara Posts: 1,175
    edited December 1969

BTW, Word Pad may be the issue. You could try with a programmer text editor. I use PSPAD (free to download) but there are many others.

edited December 1969

Philemo said:
    BTW, Word Pad may be the issue. You could try with a programmer text editor. I use PSPAD (free to download) but there are many others.

Thanks!

You might have hit the nail on the head. I used word pad. I'll try PSPAD and get back to you.

edited December 1969

Hey thanks so much.

I confirm that saving a file out uncompressed then editing with PSPad so that these sections look like this
    msnd {
    }
    SndT {
    }

works!

Note that they contain a null like like I've shown them above, but when pasted here it looks like this
    msnd {

}
    SndT {

}

I.e. with an apparent blank line. I don't think it matters, but in case it does I've mentioned this.

In my case the scenes are so large that I can't get an editor to work on them. PSPAD refuses straight away. The others (gvim.exe for example) may work but you'll be waiting an awful long time for the editor to load the file.

I'll give this a try at the end of the day when waiting is not a problem.

Anyway you've helped so thanks for your response. :)

edited May 2015

UPDATE.

EditpadLite works with large files. Now going to try with the full scene..,.

Works! On the very largest of scenes and quickly too.

RESULT!

Post edited by Sci Fi Funk on