Objects Included?

ry.nienhuisry.nienhuis Posts: 15
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

So I notices a lot of vehicles and stuff seem to be included with Carrara. Or at least I haven't found them in DAZ Studio yet. I really only use Studio for character creation, so its possible Im missing something. If they are part of Carrara, are there any limitations on using them? Like, is it okay to modify them and stuff?

Comments

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

You mean in the native content- Meaning found in the Object browser?

Some are better than others, but they're all fairly low -res, so if they're supposed to be up-close, you may want to work on them.

As far as I know, the same rules would apply to Carrara's content as any other DAZ content, and that would be you can do what you want with the model, as long is it is for your own use, and you don't redistribute it. If you want to kit-bash, modify it or whatever, as long as you don't redistribute it, it should be okay.

• ry.nienhuisry.nienhuis Posts: 15
    edited December 1969

Thanks! I saw it was pretty low poly stuff, but It doesn't need to be close. Aside from placeholders, I don't exactly have any real plans, but It would be fun to go all Mad Max with some of that stuff just for fun.

• JonstarkJonstark Posts: 2,738
    edited December 1969

If you modify them, isn't that changing it from the original into something of your own creation? Meaning I'm not certain there could be any legal restrictions to what you do to something that is modded by you.

Probably I'm wrong on this though, now that I think about it. Otherwise someone could simply add a few extra polygons to V4's left foot and claim 'this is my figure, made from scratch, and I'm selling it!' :) Can't possibly work like that...

edited December 1969

Jonstark said:
    If you modify them, isn't that changing it from the original into something of your own creation? Meaning I'm not certain there could be any legal restrictions to what you do to something that is modded by you.

Probably I'm wrong on this though, now that I think about it. Otherwise someone could simply add a few extra polygons to V4's left foot and claim 'this is my figure, made from scratch, and I'm selling it!' :) Can't possibly work like that...

Then why can't you do that V4, or the Mil dragon? Because the EULA has a clause about derivatives. You would be deriving your mesh from DAZ's mesh.

• JonstarkJonstark Posts: 2,738
    edited December 1969

That makes sense, though I wonder how enforceable it really is, or how they prove what the original polygon shape set was. If I took a V4 and used my might modeling skills (lol, as if) to push and pull those polys into the shape of a WWII battleship... :) Of course there's easier ways of making a battleship I bet.

Nevertheless I will steer clear of making derivatives, thanks for the heads up on that.

edited December 1969

I wasn't planning on selling them or claiming them as my own. I was just wondering to what extent am I allowed to use them.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited March 2015

I wasn't planning on selling them or claiming them as my own. I was just wondering to what extent am I allowed to use them.

On your own computer, purely for your own amusement you can do whatever you like. You just can't share them with anyone else, or only in a render of them. :coolsmirk:

Oh and you can't use them in a game, or for game mods.

Post edited by Chohole on
    edited December 1969

Thank you. I was only interested in using them in renders anyway. Im still learning Carrara, and It sounded like a fun learning project.

edited December 1969

Thank you. I was only interested in using them in renders anyway. Im still learning Carrara, and It sounded like a fun learning project.

No problem!

Sometimes picking stuff apart is how you learn. I would modify them to your heart's content. The most benefit I had though, was from picking apart the shaders to see how they were made. Also clouds, terrains and particles.

edited December 1969

Picking apart shaders is something I have yet to have any luck with. I can use them fine, I just don't understand how to make and edit them. Not a high priority for me right now though. Im working more on modeling and animation right now. The things I have been learning are coming so much easier than when I tried to learn Blender. What took me hours to learn in blender takes minutes in Carrara, and I still remember how to do the things a week later. I had no idea ho convoluted Blender really is. With Carrara everything is just where it seems like it should be.

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125
    edited December 1969

Many of the objects that come with Carrara may not seem useful at first, but the following thread includes several examples of clever ways people have rehabilitated them and used them in interesting renders. Often, but not always, they were converted to vertex objects by using EDIT : CONVERT TO OTHER MODELER. However, you can also export as an obj and then re-import to get a single object.

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/24644/

I don't think Wendy would mind if I point to her rehabilitation of the duck as a great example.

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/24644/P105/#370113