DAZ Studio freezes at 96% (IRay render)

DA KrossDA Kross Posts: 70
edited March 2015 in Daz Studio Discussion

I was rendering a simple scene in IRay's CPU mode (I do not have an Nvidia card), and left it to render as I slept. When I checked it in the morning, was at Iteration 1921, and 8 hours later in the afternoon, was still at Iteration 1921. Hitting cancel did nothing (I let it be for another 10 minutes) and ultimately I had to shut down DAZ studio through Task Manager.

Scene was Mei Lin 6 HD with a IRay material customized to match some of the settings in the skin settings thread, Stonemason’s rogue suit, and three photometric spotlights.

Windows 7 64 bit
Phenom II X4 965
8GB DDR3 RAM
AMD 5770
DAZ Studio 4.809 Beta

Post edited by DA Kross on

Comments

• dakkuuandakkuuan Posts: 305
    edited December 1969

I've had this happen too on a far more complex render. And it's only this specific scene. No idea what causes it. If anyone else does I'd be happy to find out as well.

• DA KrossDA Kross Posts: 70
    edited December 1969

dakkuuan said:
    I've had this happen too on a far more complex render. And it's only this specific scene. No idea what causes it. If anyone else does I'd be happy to find out as well.

That's weird.

It appears to be random. There is another thread from a week ago reporting similar problems. It appears to be random, as others reported varying levels of completion (some get stuck on the first few iterations) and some GPU users are getting it and some CPU users are getting it.

• MysticXMysticX Posts: 15
    edited December 1969

I have had render-crashes too, mostly early on in the rendering (Less than halfway through every time), but when i made a scene from scratch (Not using something i saved in 4.7, i read somewhere that can cause trouble), it rendered all the way to 95.18% converged over 1221 iterations (Not bad for 13 minutes BTW), but instead of stopping and allowing me to save the rendered image, DAZStudio hung, it even took quite some doing to get it to close...

My PC is running Windows 8.1, has an i5 processor, 12 Gigabytes of RAM, a Nvidia GTX960 videocard with 2 Gbs of VRAM (I was rendering with CPU and GPU and Optix acceleration on), and i'm using DAZStudio 4.8.09

• JPiatJPiat Posts: 68
    edited December 1969

For me, the solution was to change for Optimisation Instance : Speed.

And the render that always freezes at the same iteration is OK.

• DA KrossDA Kross Posts: 70
    edited December 1969

jpiat said:

Thanks. That worked for me too.

• MysticXMysticX Posts: 15
    edited December 1969

jpiat said:

Thanks for the tip! :D

The render that froze at 95% finished now, all tender settings were the same, except of course the optimization one. :P

• mcpughmcpugh Posts: 93
    edited December 1969

jpiat, you have no idea how much money your solution might have saved me. Thank you.

• DAZ_SpookyDAZ_Spooky Posts: 3,100
    edited December 1969

Should be fixed in the next build.

• JPiatJPiat Posts: 68
    edited December 1969

mcpugh said:
    jpiat, you have no idea how much money your solution might have saved me. Thank you.

My pleasure