wind in the leaves

laverdet_943f1f7da1laverdet_943f1f7da1 Posts: 252
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

Hello!!! I have a scene with a tree ( leaves as alpha planes), in an environnement... I want to make a 20 seconds animation , like a Wind (not too strong Wind) in the leaves, moving them , then back to quiet still... How do you think it's possible to do in C8pro? The only idea I have is to rig the tree group, then to move some bones, trying to simulate a windy effect... thank you for any hints!!!!

Comments

• JonstarkJonstark Posts: 2,738
    edited March 2015

Celmar, you can animate the tree itself right in the plant model room for the tree. It's under the advanced tab I think (going from memory)

Edit: just checked, it's actually in the tree shape tab under the deformation section, you can set wind direction and force and the amount of rustle for the leaves, it can give some very nice animated effects. I had a gif I did somewhere, can't seem to find it now...

Post edited by Jonstark on
  • evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

There are other areas in the tree editor that also control the elasticity of the branches. I think it may be under the Advanced tab, and maybe another tab.

Just an FYI, unless there's a special leaf you have to use, or the image on the billboard is detailed and meant for a closeup, I would personally opt to use a shaped leaf, as opposed to the billboard method. The reason is that a leaf shape will render much faster than the billboard with alphas.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    edited December 1969

Just an FYI, unless there's a special leaf you have to use, or the image on the billboard is detailed and meant for a closeup, I would personally opt to use a shaped leaf, as opposed to the billboard method. The reason is that a leaf shape will render much faster than the billboard with alphas.
    I love the leaf models as opposed to trans-mapped planes. Again, it depends on what you want/need. Further, the leaves that come with Carrara can be drastically improved in appearance via their shader. I also enjoy collecting Howie Farkes products (still on sale at 50% off?) not just for the scenes, but also all of those wonderful tree shaders that he includes. He also installs tree presets. Awesome stuff!
  • JonstarkJonstark Posts: 2,738
    edited December 1969

There are other areas in the tree editor that also control the elasticity of the branches. I think it may be under the Advanced tab, and maybe another tab.

Did not even think about this, great tip!