Carrara Dynamic Hair - will it export and work in IClone 6?

rampart_1576840087rampart_1576840087 Posts: 504
edited April 2015 in Carrara Discussion

There are some issues going to Iclone with FBX, OBJ file exports.

Just about everything will go into Iclone through the 3Dxchange, but the dynamic hair.. not sure.

If it will work in IClone does it go only with a character, or can I just send over the hair?

I am studying the creation of Carrara dynamic hair, but I've not gone far enough to attempt an export to Iclone 6.

Post edited by rampart_1576840087 on

Comments

• JonstarkJonstark Posts: 2,738
    edited December 1969

It's intrinsic to Carrara only, as far as I know it can't be exported.

Somewhere around these threads there's an animation I did in Octane with Carrara hair, but that wasn't an export into Octane for the hair; instead I did a multipass render of the animation in Carrara saving the hair and shadow pass, then combined it into the Octane animation (used PD Howler to composite them together). Worked pretty well, but as far as I know Carrara hair is useable only in Carrara (though I could easily end up being proved wrong on this)

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

Jonstark said:
    It's intrinsic to Carrara only, as far as I know it can't be exported.

Somewhere around these threads there's an animation I did in Octane with Carrara hair, but that wasn't an export into Octane for the hair; instead I did a multipass render of the animation in Carrara saving the hair and shadow pass, then combined it into the Octane animation (used PD Howler to composite them together). Worked pretty well, but as far as I know Carrara hair is useable only in Carrara (though I could easily end up being proved wrong on this)

You are right, it is Carrara only.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    edited December 1969

That (if I'm not mistaken) goes for any strand-based dynamics system, in that they'll only work in the software that makes the simulation work.

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

That (if I'm not mistaken) goes for any strand-based dynamics system, in that they'll only work in the software that makes the simulation work.

I believe I read because it is specific to the renderer. That's why that Garibaldi plugin works for studio, it converts the strands to RenderMan curves or something. It's strand based, but as far as I know, you still can't animate it.

If you look at Carrara's hair, it shows up in the Volume Primitive pass, just like Volumetric clouds, so Carrara sees it as a render time effect. The guides tell Carrara where to draw the hairs when it renders.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,038
    edited December 1969

You are likely to get an error trying to export an FBX with it anyway
    and no it does not even render in Carrara with other renderers

• argus1000argus1000 Posts: 701
    edited December 1969

You mean, Carrrara dynamic hair doesn't work with Octane?
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,038
    edited December 1969

argus1000 said:

no

• argus1000argus1000 Posts: 701
    edited December 1969

argus1000 said:

no
    Thank you, Wendy. I was thinking about getting Octane, but now... you just saved me $500+
  • rampart_1576840087rampart_1576840087 Posts: 504
    edited April 2015

It would appear I face a hairy situation.

I am looking for genesis 2 M hair that will export into IClone,

All the while I was thinking I could use Carrara hair. Whoops, missed that, maybe there is alternative to Dynamic hair that I can create or I buy. Yes, I found some hair in the shop...but it is too expensive for what I need. I did find a couple in PC+ for the Genesis F, which look to be prop hair and they are $4.99

I read somewhere I could use V4 and V5 clothing for Genesis or G2. I haven't tried. Maybe, if this is true some of the V4 or V5 hair will work Genesis or G2?

If Daz3d shop isn't the best go. I would appreciate a link or two elsewhere.

I have alot of Iclone hair, but I doubt I can make it work after I export into Iclone. Everything I have seen or read indicates best practice is to export complete characters into Iclone. This way I will have a complete character ready to go for use.

Post edited by rampart_1576840087 on