limit open gl

laverdet_943f1f7da1laverdet_943f1f7da1 Posts: 252
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

Hello!! I have a scene with a lot (a LOT) of alpha planes, and sudenly C8 pro said that the limit was up, and stop the open gl render of the transparencies... not any problem with the render, but it's uncomfortable to do the set up, as now the alpha are big squares black... there is a way to help the software to handle that???

Comments

• DUDUDUDU Posts: 1,945
    edited December 1969

Never had this problem...
    What do you mean with "black squares" for the alpha ?
    The alpha channel looks black in the render room but if you open the file in PS for ex., it's transparent.

• laverdet_943f1f7da1laverdet_943f1f7da1 Posts: 252
    edited December 1969

in fact, it's just in the assembly room... when clicking on the textured open gl (last ball on top of the window, you can see the alpha planes with the transparencie, not like dark rectangle... it seems that I've reached a limit, and suddenly the open gl doesn't render the transparencie in tha assembly room... No problem with the render room, of course, the transparencies are correctly rendered!

• 3drendero3drendero Posts: 2,024
    edited December 1969

Not sure if it helps, but in the Interactive Renderer settings, try lower texture resolution.
    You can also switch from OpenGL to software, slower but maybe it is better to see what you are doing...

• DUDUDUDU Posts: 1,945
    edited December 1969

I don' t think it' s Carrara but your graphic card.
    I made an animated sequence a little time ago with a lot of plants on alpha planes, there was much in the field of the camera and the quick render was very slow, but OK.
    I was obliged to make quick renders because I didn't see anything in the assembly room, only the first plane, right in front of the camera.
    If you have a NVidia, you can change the parameters for Carrara (and others) in it's setups.

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

Yep. Limits of the graphics card. The textured view in the Assembly room and the settings in the Interactive renderer have no bearing on the render room settings. Even if all the splats/billboards with alphas don't display as such in the Assemble room, they should render just fine.

That being said, if you have a ton of these alpha billboards intersecting, or within volumetric clouds or anything, or if you are using them with soft shadows and a shadow catcher, using depth of field or rendering a depth pass, then you will have issues.