Content and Smart Content not viewable in Carrara 8.5 pro browser folders

rampart_1576840087rampart_1576840087 Posts: 504
edited April 2015 in Carrara Discussion

Yesterday, I learned some nice tricks for cleaning up my Content Management in Daz3d.

Pretty amazing results for DaZ3D.

The Daz3d image renders of duf files, etc. and the viewing in Content and Smart Content is viewable and accessible.

I went over to my Carrara 8.5 Pro and it seems the improvements did NOT carry forward into Carrara.

I could use a link or some hints on how to make sure all my content is available in the browser Content * Smart Content of Carrara. Also, I could probably use some pointers for making sure I have proper updating when I install additional content.

Post edited by rampart_1576840087 on

Comments

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584
    edited December 1969

If you're using PostgreSQL for the Studio database, you either need to be running the 8.5.1 beta of Carrara with Postgre, or switch back to Valentina in Studio. Otherwise they won't be in sync.

• rampart_1576840087rampart_1576840087 Posts: 504
    edited April 2015

How do I do that? Make sure Valentina is the database

I do have a file installed through the DIM called "PostgreSQL CMS from Valentina CMS conversion". This doesn't look like a database server to me. This sounds like a plugin to faciliate PostgreSQL conversion from Valentina DB.

The Daz3d Studio looks to be displaying as it should (I guess), but Carrara = no way.

I've got installed files that are not showing that are Daz3d, and some that are Poser.

It is very difficult to find anything in Carrara - some things I find in places I don't suspect.

It maybe that I need to start over or something, because the data doesn't appear to be correctly placed.

It cannot be this difficult to use these applications... if so, I can't imagine anyone putting up with it.

I have used the DIM.

Maybe there is a video tutorial or something to follow.

Finally found some information on the Valentina and it is all bad. The server runs all the time whether you are working in the applications that use it or not. Corruption of the files is common problem.
    Currently using the 8.5 version of Carrara, which the document I read says uses the Valentina.

Is there a later release, other than the paid for version...maybe revision release or something that will allow the use of the postgreSQL server.

This thread may be the solution I am looking for:

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/44821/

Post edited by rampart_1576840087 on
    edited April 2015

Daz switched Studio from using Valentina to Postgre in 4.7, I believe. They did not switch Carrara at the same time. Many of us believe this is because they keep their Carrara programming elf locked in the cupboard under the stairs out of embarrassment, and only let him out for two hours on alternate Sundays.

There is now a beta for Carrara 8.5.1 which incorporates Postgre. You can find the details stickied at the top of the forum. You do need to email support and ask for it though, otherwise the store will try to charge you megabucks. Do not pay money for it!

You can tell if Postgre is installed by looking at Activity Monitor (or whatever the Windows equivalent is) while either Studio or DIM is running. If you see a bunch of references to PostgreSQL in the task list, then it's running.

Post edited by TangoAlpha on
  • evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited April 2015

Tim_A said:
    Daz switched Studio from using Valentina to Postgre in 4.7, I believe. They did not switch Carrara at the same time. Many of us believe this is because they keep their Carrara programming elf locked in the cupboard under the stairs out of embarrassment, and only let him out for two hours on alternate Sundays.

There is now a beta for Carrara 8.5.1 which incorporates Postgre. You can find the details stickied at the top of the forum. You do need to email support and ask for it though, otherwise the store will try to charge you megabucks. Do not pay money for it!

You can tell if Postgre is installed by looking at Activity Monitor (or whatever the Windows equivalent is) while either Studio or DIM is running. If you see a bunch of references to PostgreSQL in the task list, then it's running.

Can you switch Studio 4.7 to Valentina? I have no desire to use the beta Carrara, but there are some things that I may need to do, that require Studio. Not sure what yet, but if I need it as a plugin, so be it.
    Post edited by evilproducer on
  • fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,580
    edited December 1969

If you uninstall PostgreSQL CMS, DAZ Studio and DIM will use Valentina.

edited December 1969

This is a fresh install of Studio. I have no previous versions, so it starts with Studio 4.7. Was Valentina installed then? Would it have been installed with Carrara 8.5? When I fired up DIM, I noticed the Postgre SQL items in the queue and didn't install them, so Studio's CMS isn't running.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,580
    edited December 1969

If Valentina CMS wasn't installed, there's an installer for it in the DIM application folder in subfolder CMS.

edited December 1969

If Valentina CMS wasn't installed, there's an installer for it in the DIM application folder in subfolder CMS.

I'll check it out. Thanks!

edited December 1969

If both Postgre and the conversion app are listed in your DIM installed products, then it is using Postgre. Switching to Valentina is a matter of uninstalling BOTH via DIM.

You will need to rebuild the database in Studio (content maintenance) to populate Valentina since Carrara doesn't have the maintenance tools.

If you have Postgre and the release C8.5.0, Carrara will still show whatever is already in Valentina, but DIM will not update it with further purchases.

edited December 1969

Thanks Tim.

Mike had me going in the right direction. Both programs now see the same database.

I'll probably ask a lot more stupid questions about Genesis and C8.5 Pro. I have tried following all the discussions, but up to this point it has all been academic.