Looking for shaders for grunge, dirty, ragged looking clothing

rampart_1576840087rampart_1576840087 Posts: 504
edited April 2015 in Carrara Discussion

I'm thinking I just need some shaders to do this. I've not seen the kind of clothing content I need for this in Daz3d shop.

I don't need rags like on Zombies. I just need the appearance of characters being in rough, tough environments where people don't or cannot wash their clothing regularly. Dirty faces, hands and body parts as well.

Homeless, down on their luck, digging in ditches (construction) and other things people are doing where they get dirty and scroungy.

Is there is a shader content pack or something that will work well for Carrara?

I bought this pack...what do you think?

http://www.daz3d.com/shader-power-tools-for-carrara

Here is a picture that could be the thousand word explanation of what I'm trying to do.

3dExchange_001_03042015_100146.jpg
566 x 570 - 130K
Post edited by rampart_1576840087 on

Comments

• xmasrosexmasrose Posts: 1,403
    edited December 1969

Here is what I used for this image in Carrara : Hybrid grunge bundle on the body (feet) and clothes.
    You should also be able to use the textures of this one Lie dirt pack.

Hope it helps.

xmasrose-just_nervous_copie.jpg
    640 x 800 - 400K
  • MarkBremmerMarkBremmer Posts: 190
    edited December 1969

I've always enjoyed using Anything Goos by Digital Carvers Guild. It finds geometry edges and shading domain edges automatically and lets you mix/blend textures together very easily.

jack.jpg
    1266 x 480 - 54K
  • evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

I've always enjoyed using Anything Goos by Digital Carvers Guild. It finds geometry edges and shading domain edges automatically and lets you mix/blend textures together very easily.

That's the one I was thinking of as well.

One other possibility if you have a Pro version of Carrara is to paint it right in Carrara.

Carrara also has many different shader functions that make things look dirty or rusty.

An example that uses both procedural shaders and 3D paint, is the space suited. The skeleton's teeth were painted with the 3D paint brush, and the rest was procedural noise functions. The space suit itself is procedural (except for the bump mapped panels of material). Even the black and white head covering is 100% procedural, right down to the fabric texture.

Deadnaut.jpg
    900 x 1200 - 519K
  • HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964
    edited December 1969

Hi, another method
    There should be plenty of grunge brushes frre on the net for Photoshop
    Open up your figures texture in ps, make another layer, splash some grunge around, save it as a tif with layers intact
    In carrara shader room open up the figures texture, shader, change texture to operator mixer
    You will have two sources, the first source will be your original texture,
    Make the second source your new tif file,
    Blend via the o to 100 percent slider
    Slide till happy with look
    Or make a third grunge texture in ps and put that in your blender section instead
    Or go back to step one and. Just darken the original figure texture save as tif
    Put that in source 2
    Blend with a grunge texture

Or, using Fenric's enhanced colour tool,
    Copy the original texture into source 2'
    Darken and desaturated it with Fenric's tool
    Blend via a grunge tif

Don't forget to show us how you go

image.jpg
    1536 x 1601 - 503K