PD Howler If I buy version 9.2, do I have a full working version?

DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

There are a lot of versions of PD Howler in the store. The 50% off sale looks inviting. But what looks like the latest version is not the most expensive. Is version 9.2 a fully working Howler? Do the other versions have things it does not? A little confused.

howler.JPG
1378 x 318 - 93K

Comments

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

...And cue Dart, stage right!

• JonstarkJonstark Posts: 2,738
    edited April 2015

I got 9.5, and I believe it's got everything plus more than the earlier versions. It's very weird indeed that some of the lower versions are more expensive than the latest, but not a bad thing. I remember thinking the same thing, and hesitating before buying for that reason. Did some checking on PD howler's website, and ended up picking 9.5 up, but it's a complete software and the latest version, nothing else needs to be purchased.

Post edited by Jonstark on
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125
    edited December 1969

Thanks, as always.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    edited December 1969

diomede64 said:
    There are a lot of versions of PD Howler in the store. The 50% off sale looks inviting. But what looks like the latest version is not the most expensive. Is version 9.2 a fully working Howler? Do the other versions have things it does not? A little confused.
    Yes.
    All of them are full, working versions. Here's a bit more about what's going on:

"Howler" is the new name (a few years ago) given to the "Pro" version, which includes everything that is made for Project Dogwaffle. The only exception might be some legacy functions being replaced by new ones.

"Artist" is the same as Howler, but without the animation menu. This only means that it does not have the tools for working on and saving new animations using that menu. Artist does, however, allow the user to use animations as animated brushes to paint with.

"PD Pro" is the earlier version of the latest and greatest at the time of release, prior to be given the name: "Howler".

"Particles" is just a paint program which features the particles system for use as brushes (new Particles 9 coming this spring!)

==============================================================================================

Since you're asking about Howler, the developer has it set up so that artists may get into the Dogwaffle project at various stages in the game for various reasons; whether only the affordability, only needing certain features, etc., so Philip Staiger has set up this page to help sort out what was added at each release. We have artists that use some of the oldest versions available, and that's why they're still available. I say "we", meaning the Dogwaffling community.

I am still very much a newbie with Howler, and came on board with version 8.2 and have been updating ever since. I love it. I really like all of the improvements, and also know that 8.2 was an excellent Howler. I think it's cool that they keep the older versions around at a lower cost. Not sure why the latest version is less than an older one, at times... the higher the number, the latest the version - and it's Always a full install.

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125
    edited December 1969

Thanks, I've bookmarked the page. Can't wait to start playing with my new toy!

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    edited December 1969

diomede64 said:
    Thanks, I've bookmarked the page. Can't wait to start playing with my new toy!
    Awesome!
    It took me a bit to get used to how different it is. I think a lot of others around here may have given up on it (at least partially) because of that, which would be a shame, because it just keeps getting better and better, and more and more fun the more fluent I get with it.
    The pdhowler YouTube videos really help in learning the interface as well as examining a bunch of the tools and such.
    Logo_Official.jpg
    253 x 149 - 18K