Going to do sketches & water-colour paintings of my renders

Have bought a 103 piece pencil kit & 48 colour paint set & paper, now to begin the journey !!!

Some tutorial sites:-

https://www.liveabout.com/drawing-and-sketching-4688177

https://www.liveabout.com/learn-to-paint-4688181

https://emptyeasel.com/art-tutorials/

https://www.drawinghowtodraw.com/directoryhome.html

https://artiscreation.com/books.html

Also found another site with free tutes but it is a payware site so will not mention it in case it upsets the mods !

Any thoughts or recommendations ?

Comments

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,073
    edited February 2022

Great idea.  I will be looking forward to your progress.  Thanks for the links.

Suggestions?  Yay!  Keep going!

One suggestion is the videos in which people show how they use 3D to block out for 2D art.  I know this example is digital but the ideas should translate.  Here is one example but there are plenty of other free ones.  

Post edited by Diomede on
  • HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,922
    edited February 2022

Love it !  Its the way to go. Looking forward to the results. I bought a projector a fews Go and used it a few times to project tge coverage pass up and also tge shadow layer. Also a light table. Now i just draw it up from a4s printed tge right size.tge= the of course. Bludy ipads.

Post edited by Headwax on
  • Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,660

Diomede said:

Great idea.  I will be looking forward to your progress.  Thanks for the links.

Suggestions?  Yay!  Keep going!

One suggestion is the videos in which people show how they use 3D to block out for 2D art.  I know this example is digital but the ideas should translate.  Here is one example but there are plenty of other free ones.  

Thanks !!! Very interesting video !

Headwax said:

Love it !  Its the way to go. Looking forward to the results. I bought a projector a fews Go and used it a few times to project tge coverage pass up and also tge shadow layer. Also a light table. Now i just draw it up from a4s printed tge right size.tge= the of course. Bludy ipads.

Thanks !!!

I did quite a bit of sketching when I was a teenager. Recently have a sketch journal for sketching character front on and side views as I think of them, decided I would get back into sketching scenes. For painting I like the effect of water colours so will give that a go. Only painting I did as a kid was plastic models.

Light table would be good for the water colours but I am out of room for one !

edited February 2022

Sketch No.1

Render

Sketch. Still got to fill in the surface and sky.

Dog Hound 1 Tpz.png
    1600 x 1200 - 5M
    Dog Hound 1 Sketch.png
    992 x 789 - 1M
    Post edited by Bunyip02 on
  • I guess a monitor flat on the table would act as a light table, 

maybe a sheet of perspex over it to protect.

Beaut start Bunyip02 , love the lolling tongue and the restricted pallette. Forgot to say i have an ipad  projection app where you can look through the screen using the camera and superimpose your image on a bit of paper etc .... great idea but useless dor big work inless you spend ages constructing a stand .... you could mirror it to the tv actually, but cheap as chips like all ipad apps

Camera lucida its called 

• if you can find an old overhead projector from a school you can stick the arm from that over a monitor laid flat, saw that suggestion on a facebook nostalgia about overhead projectors by 3M tape

• ed3Ded3D Posts: 1,976

~   pretty good   ~     heart

ed3D said:

~   pretty good   ~     heart

Thanks !!!

Headwax said:

Beaut start Bunyip02 , love the lolling tongue and the restricted pallette. Forgot to say i have an ipad  projection app where you can look through the screen using the camera and superimpose your image on a bit of paper etc .... great idea but useless dor big work inless you spend ages constructing a stand .... you could mirror it to the tv actually, but cheap as chips like all ipad apps

Thanks !!!

Found some A4 & A3 light pads on Amazon, might invest in one of them when I get out of my learning phase.

Bought some extra brushes and a Beginners guide for watercolour, after reading the book and watching some tutorial vids realised I also needed some watercolour masking fluid.

Have made a colour chart of my paints and will do some practice landscapes before I start on the pooch !

the trouble with water colour is that it's pretty hard :) one mistake and pffffft!

I paint in acrylics and it's pretty easy - one mistake and two mins later you can paint over it :)

But acrylics aren't delicate like water colour (usually).

Imho I'd stay away from the masking fluid at first - it usually leaves a hard edge which takes away from the joy and freshness of watercolour.

It can also damage your paper.

The beauty  of using a lightbox is you can do a reallyquick sketch and throw paint on it and not have to worry about wrecking hours of work - so you can be a lot looser.

It's easy to get tight and precious with watercolour otherwise.

A restricted pallette is always a good friend too (at first).

Looking forward to your next masterpieces :)

Thanks for the tips !!!

Learning something new with each tutorial vid I watch, this weekend I start putting brush to paper.

Bunyip02 said:

Thanks for the tips !!!

Learning something new with each tutorial vid I watch, this weekend I start putting brush to paper.

no probs, great news :) looking forward to the results ::)

Sable brushes and extra watercolour paper have arrived in time for the weekend !!!

Was watching some tutes on watercolour paper and the cheaper paper coped a bit of a hiding.

Invested in some better quality paper including some 100% cotton which is recommended for those starting to learn watercolour painting.

Tried a masking tape test on my cheap paper and it lifted the surface of the paper off, will keep it for doing wet on dry doodles and avoid doing wet on wet washes.

New paper passed the masking tape test with flying colours.

Yep, the paper makes a huge difference. The stuff you don't have to stretch is a gem!

and then ~

~  also  Water-Colour Blocks _  No stretching Needed 

they are alrite too _  

Headwax said:

Yep, the paper makes a huge difference. The stuff you don't have to stretch is a gem!

The cheap watercolour paper I got was included in the 103 piece pencil kit I got, it also had 3 pads - a sketch pad, a watercolour pad, and a colouring in book. Also got a cheap A3 30 page pad.

Bought some better quality paper & cotton so will try them out. Also found some 100% cotton 15 page pads which are Australian made at a nice price, will try them next.

Hi-ho, hi-ho - its off to paint I go !!!

ed3D said:

and then ~

~  also  Water-Colour Blocks _  No stretching Needed 

they are alrite too _  

Bought a 180x125mm block, looks good, rest of the paper is pads. Have a nice flat piece of wood and masking tape for the pad paper !

• VyusurVyusur Posts: 2,235

Wow, I've been drawing since I was 3 years old, and watercolor is my main technique, but I've never heard neither of watercolor blocks nor of masking tape.

I googled for it and found that I had already used watercolor blocks before. But it did not give the effect for which it is intended. The paper under the newly drawn sheet was damp and distorted.

I have also fixed paper, but I used a medical patch instead of masking tape. It was just a couple of times. And most often I fix the paper as the Chinese do: I put small heavy objects on the corners of the sheet.

edited February 2022

~ and then ~

Water-Colour Blocks _ 

being that they Can be as Wet as Anything and will not Buckle

_ so, idk reason  For  ~  distorted. ??

thanx - 

Post edited by ed3D on

Vyusur said:

Wow, I've been drawing since I was 3 years old, and watercolor is my main technique, but I've never heard neither of watercolor blocks nor of masking tape.

I googled for it and found that I had already used watercolor blocks before. But it did not give the effect for which it is intended. The paper under the newly drawn sheet was damp and distorted.

I have also fixed paper, but I used a medical patch instead of masking tape. It was just a couple of times. And most often I fix the paper as the Chinese do: I put small heavy objects on the corners of the sheet.

Love your watercolours !!!!

Update - Gave myself a score of 2/10 for my first watercolour.

Was a Carrara landscape. Sky gradient with clouds did not work out, got a result but not what I intended. Ground ended up being patchy, need to get a better technique for it.

Found it relaxing doing the painting, just need more practice !!!

Just did a practice sky gradient with clouds and it came out well. Problem on the weekend was I went to add a darker shade of blue and it diluted my previous blue, reason why I had loaded up my brush with water. Still on the learners plates, I will get better with practice !!!

• VyusurVyusur Posts: 2,235

Bunyip02 said:

Vyusur said:

Love your watercolours !!!!

Thank you for your nice feedback! 

Going to do practice doodles for the next couple of weeks to get better techniques for wet on wet & wet on dry.

Video tutorials make it look so easy ....

Bunyip02 said:

Going to do practice doodles for the next couple of weeks to get better techniques for wet on wet & wet on dry.

great idea - there's nothing like hands on :)

Headwax said:

Bunyip02 said:

great idea - there's nothing like hands on :)

Getting better at gradients !!!

Getting betterer !!!