Genesis 2 Genitals again ...

Peter OstryPeter Ostry Posts: 3
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

New to Genesis 2, I think I tried everything in every order but cannot make the Genesis 2 genitals working. The parts go either completely black or they get a weird full body map. Yes I read about all of the forum posts about this issue but nothing could help me.

I deleted everything from DAZ from my disk, did a complete reinstall with the Manager. Only Carrara 8.5 Pro, native content and the Genesis 2 packages.

I generate a Genesis 2 base figure.
With the figure selected, I add a genital part.
Applying a Genesis standard mat to the figure: ok.
Applying the same mat to the genital part: Not ok. Black shader or ornamental full body mat on the part.

Trying to apply only the hip shader of the figure to the genital part: not ok.
Trying to use this strange "Male 3D Print Geo-Craft" icon to no avail, regardless in which order. But I don't know how to use this thing anyway and there seems to be no documentation.

I bought Darius 6 which comes with a genital map but this one does not work either.

I am at the end of my wisdom.

Can someone please give me a step by step description how you successfully attach a textured Genesis 2 genital part to a Genesis base figure?

Comments

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited April 2015

Do you have the Michael 6 Pro pack, or any gen 6 adult figure pro packs?

Post edited by Chohole on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,038
    edited December 1969

other than a posed obj export from DAZ studio not much one can do
    geograftimg breaks UV mapping in carrara

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited April 2015

But Plain Genesis 2 doesn't have any toast to start with.

and the 3d male print thingummy AFAIK is the watertight version of G2M for 3D printing

Post edited by Chohole on
  • Peter OstryPeter Ostry Posts: 3
    edited April 2015

chohole said:
    Do you have the Michael 6 Pro pack, or any gen 6 adult figure pro packs?

Yes:
    Darius 6 Pro Bundle
    Lilith 6 Pro Bundle

Wow, this doesn't sound good. At least it might explain why we see no Carrara compatibility in product descriptions ...

So I guess I have to stick to Michael 4 or try the Studio export thing.

Post edited by Peter Ostry on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,038
    edited December 1969

yes sadly for those wanting to do adult renders obj really the only way
    does not affect me so much except with some other geografts such as Rawart Catwold tails

edited December 1969

yes sadly for those wanting to do adult renders ...

... and sadly the problem are not only the genitals. It is almost impossible for me to change the texture of any Genesis 2 figure after it was generated. In all but a few circumstances, the newly textured part goes black. Be it eyes only, or a face makeup, or the whole body map, I get a calming deep black. Although not en expert I use Carrara for many years now and I think with a completely fresh install on my machine I can blame the software.

It is pretty clear that the main road for DAZ leads to the in-house solution DAZ Studio. But I want modeler, scene builder and renderer in one program, so I think I cannot take another software than Carrara but have to adopt to this situation. The figures of version 5 were somehow an accident, so I got to use the bodies of versions 4 or 6 depending on the task.

Who said that life is easy? :roll:

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125
    edited December 1969

yes sadly for those wanting to do adult renders ...

... and sadly the problem are not only the genitals. It is almost impossible for me to change the texture of any Genesis 2 figure after it was generated. In all but a few circumstances, the newly textured part goes black. Be it eyes only, or a face makeup, or the whole body map, I get a calming deep black. Although not en expert I use Carrara for many years now and I think with a completely fresh install on my machine I can blame the software.

It is pretty clear that the main road for DAZ leads to the in-house solution DAZ Studio. But I want modeler, scene builder and renderer in one program, so I think I cannot take another software than Carrara but have to adopt to this situation. The figures of version 5 were somehow an accident, so I got to use the bodies of versions 4 or 6 depending on the task.

Who said that life is easy? :roll:

First, Ringo has some Carrara optimized skin shaders that can be dragged and dropped in a single click to apply skin shaders.

However, you can construct and save your own for future use.

The textures of G2F and G2M and Genesis can be changed in Carrara. What I haven't been able to change is the uvmapping base. Thus, if I own 3 texture maps for the Victoria 6 uv setup (say one freckly, one light but clear, and one darker), I can change the textures in Carrara and then save the multichannel to the Carrara shader browser for future use. Then, if I start with any V6 character, I can switch the shader to another saved shader with a single drag and drop. On the other hand, if there is a G2F character with a different uv base, I'd start with that character and save shaders for it. Note-you can zero the shape then begin your own character building, so it isnot a problem to apply a texture designed for V6 to a non-V6 shape, but you do have to know which uv set you are using. Most of the time, the vendor will list the uv set for the texture map in the product page. For example, the vendor Silver lists the Genesis 2 Female Base UVMap for her Clair character for Belle.
    http://www.daz3d.com/clair-for-belle-6
    "Textures Include •43 Texture, Bump and Specular Maps (4000 x 4000)
    •15 Texture, Bump and Transparency Maps (2048 x 2048)
    •This product uses the Genesis 2 Female Base UV Maps"
    So, I would use DIM to identify and locate the files that come with Silver's character. I can then mix and match the texture map, bump map, makeup, etc. of this Clair character in the corresponding shader channels of any Carrara figure that uses the same base uvmaps.

I'll try to illustrate and add to "best practices" when I get a chance. I've let my lack of skill with "realistic" settings get in the way of posting the basic methodology.

edited December 1969

Sorry, I never posted my primary reply. One way to match the figure skin shader to genitals, wings, or other add-ons might be to use a procedural shader instead of a texture map. Evilpoducer has been leading the way.

edited December 1969

Oh.

Thank you for the comprehensive explanations. UV mapping is beyond my knowledge, I will first try to use a recommended Carrara shader. If I run into the same problems it's time to learn about mapping.

edited December 1969

I've outlined the basic method at the following link.

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/45361/P60/#798751

You may find other useful resources in that thread. Ask questions as you explore Carrara. There are usually helpful people who have experienced a similar issue.

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    edited December 1969

been going elaborate steps to make my g2 / g1 content carrara ready.

saving a genesis for each uv swap applied.
    renaming all my character folders for the uv set, like 'Ariadne V6 uv V5'

still looking for a way to uncmpress cbr files, so i can manually fix paths to textures. :roll:

• PiratesMoonPiratesMoon Posts: 27
    edited December 1969

Sometimes I use Carrara for compositions that I translate to canvas or sculpture. Yesterday I tried applying genitalia to Michael 6 experiencing the same problems as with the texture issues described above. It seems that when the Gen 2 male genitalia are fit to a Gen 2 male figure that the background grafting onto the figure destroys the two shader regions of the genitalia. Unfitting the genitalia ungrafts and everything is back to normal, except they no longer fit.

It’s a kludge, but this is how I solved the issue. I used two Gen 2 Male Genitalia: Genesis 2 Male Genitalia invis and Genesis 2 Male Genitalia vis. First “Genesis 2 Male Genitalia invis” is fitted to Genesis 2 Male and made invisible; second “Genesis 2 Male Genitalia vis” is fitted to “Genesis 2 Male Genitalia invis.” Then textures are applied to “Genesis 2 Male Genitalia vis.” Changing parameter settings on “Genesis 2 Male Genitalia invis” will affect and act like puppet strings on “Genesis 2 Male Genitalia vis”. It’s not perfect, but it works for me.

The only con is a tiny seam may appear, depending on lighting and camera position, along the top edge of the visible genitalia; this I can deal with in post processing.

tree.png
    243 x 477 - 102K
  • JonstarkJonstark Posts: 2,738
    edited December 1969

Had a thought about getting rid of the seam mentioned.

Maybe using 3dpaint function to paint an alpha at the edge of the prop, so that the skin fades into the skin of the hip below? Haven't tested, just wondered if that might be a viable fix...

• Frank__Frank__ Posts: 302
    edited May 2015

This is the one and only answer which is important.

Animation with Genesis or Genesis2 in Carrara with geo-c/grafting won't work. Period.

Stills work fine, going the export-from-Studio-import-into-Carrara-route. Been there, done that. (Doing it all the time :) )

(Hint: Studio-export with Poser preset, Carrara-import with Poser-preset. And for more complex figures (hair, clothes, etc) check in Studio [Write Groups][Use Figure Name(s)] and on the Carrara-OBJ-import-dialog check "Create one object per group", the next option-buttons I don't understand completelyf, "use last name ID" works perfect.

Post edited by Frank__ on
    edited December 1969

yes sadly for those wanting to do adult renders obj really the only way
    does not affect me so much except with some other geografts such as Rawart Catwold tails

woes. does this mean Reptilian 6 HD Tail won't work in ca?

edited December 1969

the dragon3 wings works. iz confusing.